Thread: Shower Refinish

Default Shower Refinish

Wandering Star has a dedicated shower, ply, fiberglass and paint on the sole. I've scraped most of the old flaky paint to find slightly chipped but mostly smooth fg. This may be polester or epoxy, the boat was built in '68. Has anyone refinshed a shower sole? Or built one? There are commercial shower epoxies, or I could repaint it. I may leave it smooth and use a shower mat, but I want to coat it as it is discolored. Anyone want to share their experience?

Default Re: Shower Refinish

There are epoxy based industrial floor coverings that you might consider. The one I am most familar with is Halemite. Just mix it up and pour it on. You can thicken it to make a sanitary cove at the bottom. Used a lot in public beach showers and animal shelter washdown stalls. Comes in a bazillion colors and is basically everything-proof.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have re finished my cheap old steel bath tub and fileted around the upper surround and worked the filet down next to the toilet in my house. Just like a boat, I worked the filets up with 407, built up Interlux 2000 , then brushed the whole lot with LP. (Epifanes) . Its tough as nails, easy to clean , and sanitary.
    This is an old photo I had for something else, but you get the idea, the wood planking comes down to the tub.The whole tub is painted. I built the place for cheap 35 years ago and did not want to tear out the ,by then , funky fifty dollar tub.

Oh , heres a better pic

This is my own house, but I own two rentals that I did the same thing. Its freakin bullet proof. Big filets are amazing.

Bruce... Do I understand you to be saying that you did not raise the toilet, you wrapped the filled epoxy up onto the ceramic? If so, I am surprised that the epoxy would bond to the smooth hard finish. I don't doubt you. Just surprised.

Jeff

John, if you re-coat, epoxy sticks to polyester but polyester does not stick to epoxy - I would use epoxy just to be sure. If you paint (either as-is or over new epoxy) treat it like an automotive paint job - sand, wipe with tack cloth & thinner, prime, paint.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thanks guys.

As Wiz says, big fillets are great. No sharp corners for gunge to get into. Like a couple of inch radius. I had the head and shower redone on a steel boat I once owned. They used some sort of hard but light plastic building board where you'd expect ply, and filleted the corners with something like automotive bog.polyester filler I guess. It worked great.