Thread: Ian Oughtred Tirrik balanced lug Sail Design

Default Ian Oughtred Tirrik balanced lug Sail Design

Hi, i recently bought a Tirrik which had not been finished. The boat was started ten years ago and was only taken out once under motor. Im sorting the sail and spars now. I don't have the plan and my main question is do I need a plan ($250) just for the sail and rigging. everything else is pretty much done. would a good sailmaker be able to supply dimensions for sail and spars and could I just use a similar sail to the Goat Island Skiff. I know these are easy to get from China etc. ? Ive been busy taping all the inside glue joints and will do the same on the hull. The build was not to bad but some uneven glued joints between the strakes, mainly on the outside hull. the inside were not not bad. thanks

Default Re: Ian Oughtred Tirrik balanced lug Sail Design

Normally you can only (legally) build one boat from a set of plans. But given your circumstances, maybe there's someone with Tirrik plans who could give you the sail plan drawing, or at least give you the dimensions your sailmaker needs. You might even be able to contact the designer himself and get the dimensions. I'd rather do that than try to make something else work.

That said, it is possible to use different rigs or sails with a boat, other than the designed rig--I've done it myself. You just have to make sure the center of effort of the sailplan ends up in (close to) the same place as the original sail's center of effort.

I'd contact Ian, though, and see if you can get the dimensions you need.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    just use a similar sail to the Goat Island Skiff. I know these are easy to get from China etc. ?
    You might be thinking of Michael Storer's Really Simple Sails in the Phillipines.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I've sold sail plans to people separately. You might ask the Oughtred agent....duckworks?
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Thank you all for your suggestions. very much appreciated. ive never been on a forum before so replying on the last dialogue box. presume that's going to reply to all. I would be happy paying for the rigging plan. Id also be happy to contact Ian directly and pay him but I don't know how. does anyone know how to contact him? and thanks Tom yes I was looking at those really simple sails however their not that much cheaper than one locally. Im making decent effort finishing this boat and would love it to sail well. Id love to get the plans I think. thanks Clinton will try duckworks but would love to know how to contact Ian Oughtred.

tom do you know how to contact Ian ?

I was in the same situation some time ago and he sent me a separate sailplan for a small fee. Tel. 01470-532732. His name is Iain
    Struan Cottage, Bernisdale, Isle of Skye, Scotland IV51 9NS. He does not give his email in the ad in Watercraft, so I had rather not put it on the Forum. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

Thank you FF I will give him a call