Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise - Converting 12ft Whitehall rowing boat for sailing (with Optimist parts)

Default Need advise - Converting 12ft Whitehall rowing boat for sailing (with Optimist parts)

First of, I would like to say “Hello” to this forum and the members. I already read a lot here and want to thank all of you for the useful information you share with the rest of the world. I live in Indonesia and planning to convert my newly acquired 2ndhand whitehall rowing boat to a small sailboat. It is a lovely boat in my opinion and we already did a new paint job on the hull and reinforced the keel with some stainless steel.

This will be my first boat ever. Newbie here, I do have zero experience. But I did some homework and put myself a 250 page .pdf file together with all the information I could find about such a project.

Please excuse "my wall of text". My intention is just to share as much information, which I also do believe is important for you to answer to this post. I will bold the keywords to make it easier for you...Hope that helps.

Now, I do understand:
    “Any boat can be converted to sail power, but few will sail well! “

Here is my consideration and I would greatly appreciate your input and help me to get onto the right track to start with my project. Maybe all this will not work as I am currently planning and I should just focus on rowing this boat and invest time and money in a completely new small sailing boat project, some time in the future. Like the Phoenix III. Again, this is my first boat. Never sailed before etc.

1.) Hull: 12ft Whitehall Rowing Boat. Designer unknown.
    -Characteristics: I read that the normal whitehall hullshape doesn't have a lot of stability. They give up stability to reduce drag so they can achieve good speeds rowing.Smaller Whitehalls (12 ft / 13ft) usally loose their good qualities,move not as easy through the water and are less seaworthy than longer ones (17ft / 18 ft). Still, I believe this is a good boat in good condition and certainly very hard to find in Indonesia until you built your own. I get some inspiration from a Shenandoah Whitehall 14ft row/ sail boat with 47 sft sprit sail, as seen here: http://andrewlinn.com/whitehall/111006_design/index.htm

2.) Location: Island in Indonesia / Coral Reefs near the shore. Avrg. wind-speed 5- 10 knt. / trade wind (one direction for 6 month). Gust (up to 30 knts) in between, especially in raining season. I fly kites here a lot, so know a bit about the wind.

3.) Lateral resistance? I tend towards a daggerboard (right next to the center (keel) of the boat to not loose stability) and have a friend with some experience in building. He currently working on a 26ft plywood catamaran and said he would give me a hand with box, daggerboard, rudder etc...

4.) Rudder: http://www.luckhardt.com/dory1.html (Thorne) give me some good inspiration here. Great source! I also have a copy of John Gardner Classic Small Craft book with lots of solution that might work. Not necessary must be a flip up type rudder. I want to keep things as simple as possible.

5.) Sail / Rig Style: There is already a step or a socket for a mast in my whitehall, which is a good thing but may need some adjustment. I already read about CE (Center of effort) and how it will help determine the CLR (center of lateral resistance).Still need to spend some more time on this one, though. Mast, boom, sprit.. I am panning to use wood (widely available here. Teak, Mahogany etc.) and understand it should be as stiff as possible.

Regarding the Rig Style I believe a sprit sail suits my needs best. A second choice would be the lug sail, but it is rather hard to find here unless I make my own from a used big sail. I do not think I have skills and tools for that.

A came across the ready made “optimist” sail, and thought this might suit my needs just perfect. See here...
    http://woodenoptimist.blogspot.co.id...ter-plans.html ...With 35 sft probably a bit to small for my boat, but those sails are easy to find in Europe new and second. And I have a way to get it from there. I actually just bought a used one for around 35$ on ebay and waiting for it.

An option would be to
    add a flying jib as often seen on classical whitehall sailing boats, to increase the surface are. Flying Jibs are again rather easily available as they are used often on canoes. I may need to add a bowsprit as seen on the luckhard page.

On of the biggest problems for me is that sails (and most other parts for such a project) are not easily available in Indonesia. I know there is a good source in the Philippines, but custom duties may be up to 100% and a 50 – 60 sft. sail would probably cost me up to USD 700.

Here in Indonesia, most of the sails you see on small boats are made from plastic cover.

Questions:
    - Lets say in your opinion an "optimist" rig would/ could work, what should I consider in my planning/ project?

- If "optimist" rig would be an option, I suppose I should also get my inspiration from "optimist" rudder and dagger-board and placement right? (optimist building plans a widely available.

- I have not thought much about problems, but with a boat with light stability I am a bit concerned about "capsizing": Any good link or recommendation about preparation and solutions?

- Anything else that comes to your mind reading this.

Thank you very much !
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Default Re: Need advise - Converting 12ft Whitehall rowing boat for sailing (with Optimist pa

some pictures of my 12 ft whitehall...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)

Default Re: Need advise - Converting 12ft Whitehall rowing boat for sailing (with Optimist pa

7.8 ft Optimist boat. Picture from woodenboat.com website....That is the 35 sft sail/ setup that I am planning to use on my 12 ft whitehall... good solution or not? underpowered? Am I on the right track here?
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 01:36 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The opti sail will be fun to sail off the wind. The boat will be crazy slow up wind, I doubt she will tack.
    I would urge you to learn to scull, and use an oar to steer her , rather than build a rudder, as you can scull her around in a tack.
    I doubt she is a whitehall , but it's not an altogether bad lookin lil boat.A whitehall is more narrow. This may be a safer, more stable boat.
    If I were serious about sailing her , I'd install a daggerboard and cut off the skeg, but both of those things would make her a poorer rowing boat.
    bruce

Thank you, Bruce.

I will have the boat delivered tomorrow. To be honest I bought this boat without testing, which is something I normally would not do with any form of vehicle. I need a somehow safe and stable boat, since I am planning to bring out my small boys for fishing, close to the shore on calm days. This boat sure is safer and more stable than the typical small boats here, with gunwales just a couple inches above water-level.

Anyway, to cut off the skeg, does not seem like an option for me.

I definitely will learn to row/ skull her. For the moment with the thole-pins supplied. I also believe the oars are a bit short, but should not be to hard to find someone that make new ones.Some talented woodworkers here.

What makes me a bit concerned is that you say, "I doubt she will tack". That means turning around across the wind, right? No upwind sailing, no beating ? Not good!

I do not mind the crazy slow. But maybe because I not yet know what "crazy slow" really means.

Reading your post leaves the idea to me that instead of cutting a hole in the boat and use a daggerboard/ rudder, I should rather save money for a small 2 hp outboarder.

Sail off the wind and get back by engine power. But actually that is not what I am really looking for.

From looking at the hull and the shape/ design she has at the moment, would you say there is "no way" to make her a (serious) fun little sailing boat? Thx. Comar
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Oh no, Id get her to sail.
    The long skeg ,good for rowing, will make her slow under sail. Instead of turning quickly/pivoting, the skeg will make her turn in a longer circle, and with a small sail, she'll stall. With a sculling /steering oar..one can simply push her through the tack , or push her out of irons. Or scull out of pretty much any tight spot.
    A few small boat sailors prefer using an oar to a rudder. not many, but a few .
    The sculling oar goes hand in hand with the small rig. If you were to rig her with a big main of whatever flavor ( lug, sprit, pointy), then id say build a nice rudder and a board, dagger or pivoting .
    One could pop a lee board on there as well , ultimate simplicity.
    This is a big subject, even for a 12 foot boat, one thing leads to another, every change or decision impacts the others.
    I'm not advocating getting a 2 hp OB by any means...The boat will always be "gassy" on the inside, she'll stink, her bilge water will be nasty oily. Not elegant for a 12 foot sailing yacht.

I am not a naval architect. I think Bruce suggests you cut off the skeg to make the boat tack more readily. That skeg is more like a keel, perhaps you should try adding the sail and sail her without adding a centerboard or daggerboard. There are some dinghies that use a long shallow keel. The optimist sail will be small for that boat. Perhaps you should experiment with tarp sails to find out how much sail to use and balance. The low cost makes them disposable.
    Welcome aboard, good luck with your new boat, keep us posted on your progress.

Short oars are good for a slow (small) boat. Having long oars are the equivalent of using a higher gear in a car, good for GOING fast, but harder to reach the speed. A 12 footer is not going to easily pull over 3 or 4 knots .
    Basically,ballpark, your oars want to be the max beam plus 50 percent .

good stuff. thanks again, also for the warm welcome.

"The optimist sail will be small for that boat."...yes I tought so. I am all over what would be the right size. Comparing, maybe a 50-60 sft sail. Thx for the tip with the tarp sail. Will have a look into that.

Regarding the optimist sail with 35 sft, I took into consideration the "
    Shenandoah Whitehall 14ft row/ sail boat", mentioned above uses a 47 sft sprit sail. I thought a 35 sft sprit sail might just be right for my 12ft boat, also since I am a beginner to sailing. Rather be a bit underpowered than overpowered, I guess. The problem is I really know nothing about the weight of this boat. It is certainly a solid construction. But trial and error might be the only option to find our the perfect (size) sail. As said I do not really mind the slow, but sure I would be happy to go upwind with the setup.

Here is a Screenshot of the Dave Gentry whitehall. Not the same hull shape, but somehow similar. (pictures from
    http://andrewlinn.com/whitehall/111006_design/index.htm)

• File Type: jpg 5.jpg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (33.0 KB, 0 views)
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ...your oars want to be the max beam plus 50 percent .
    Great! Thx!

I use a small sail on my 11'er. The hull is slippery and I sail it where it is windy. Works jusfine.

Optimist sails are powerfull for their size, which helps, but probably not enough. Why not have 2 opti sails, then she is a schooner, and you really have something.

Here a small video of a 12ft whitehall sailing dinghy, with flying jib.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-pRj8BC9D0

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Why not have 2 opti sails
    well, I dont know. Sounds a bit wierd, to be honest. But I am a newbie, so who knows. I see problems in handling such a rig.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Optimist sails are powerfull for their size, which helps, but probably not enough
    ... I read they are powerful. that is what made me believe it might be just right. On the other side, we are talking light wind area here. 5- 10knt on 80% of the "windy" days.

I currently look at two other options:
    1.) Add a flying jib
    2.) Make me own sail, from a big used dacron sail.

Thanks to all for your input. I have a good feeling I am getting there with your help. THX !!!!
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Oh no, Id get her to sail. With a sculling /steering oar..one can simply push her through the tack , or push her out of irons. Or scull out of pretty much any tight spot.
    Thanks Bruce. Currently I not really understand this technique. Never seen it before. You do not have a video link by any chance. I tried but could not find. Cheers.

I have to watch the fisherman here more closely. None of them have a leeboard or daggerboard and/ or rudder on their boats. Probably that is the technique they use. But I never spotted one going upwind with the sail.

One could pop a lee board on there as well , ultimate simplicity.
    Leeboard. That is certainly on my list. And I certainly like it simple. Leeboard, on both sides or just one side ?, seen some good things here...http://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blog...rch?q=leeboard

I see many advantages of a leeboard, but someone told me to go with a daggerboard. But than again I need more opinions. That is why I am here... Thanks again.

I use a small sail on my 11'er. The hull is slippery and I sail it where it is windy. Works jusfine.
    Makes myself somehow optimistic for my project. The landscape looks outstanding and you got a sweet boat there. "Good people deserve good things..."

Bruce is right that she's not a whitehall but she is a row boat. She's beamy enough to have useful form stability.

I'd start by seeing if you can row with 8' oars from the center thwart. The forward rowing station might be hard to row with anyting longer that 6-1/2'.

Put an oar lock on the starboard side of the ooutboard cut out or centered if you'd rather.

Now practice sculling while you straddle the center thwart. Learn to propell and turn.

Then, I'd stick the mast in and see what you can do. If the boat has lots of lee helm try shifting you weight forward. For excess weather helm, shift aft. If you're lucky, this can be just leaning and will become routine as a good form of control.

I would not cut down the skeg and would not put in a centerboard. The boat will never be good enough to weather for real sailing. Just row upwind and set the sail - Whitehall tradition here - for reaching and running.

Have fun &

G'luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Bruce is right that she's not a whitehall... Put an oar lock on the starboard side of the ooutboard cut out or centered if you'd rather. Now practice sculling while you straddle the center thwart. Learn to propell and turn.
    Ian, thank you. I got to learn a bit more sailing vocabulary, but I guess I am getting there fast and understand what you are saying... Thanks a lot!

Just row upwind and set the sail - Whitehall tradition here - for reaching and running. Have fun
    mmmh, I like tradition in general. But sailing upwind would be much nicer than rowing, I guess. I see myself sailing downwind and than have a hard time rowing back upwind. Is that really fun?

My first boat, so I not know yet. Rowing fine for me to get 200- 500m of shore, catch a fish or two and row back. Pretty hot here, especially during the day...
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Instead of turning quickly/pivoting, the skeg will make her turn in a longer circle, and with a small sail, she'll stall. With a sculling /steering oar..one can simply push her through the tack , or push her out of irons. Or scull out of pretty much any tight spot.
    Now that again really makes me thinking. So you are saying just one oar would be used as lateral resistance and rudder at the same time, right? No need to cut a hole in the hull. Setup is just the sail (mast etc) and the oar. That sounds very simple and it might be just enough for my needs.

Questions:
    - what I understand is, it is possible to go upwind using this technique, right?
    - my optimist sail would work?
    - Any downsides (apart from that this is really slow)
    - Would it not make sense to make some "special" oar for this technique, instead of using the shallow rowing oars?

Traditional wooden canoe paddle? Something like this ? ​

Welcome Aboard our Group! I like the Whitehall Design as it is both efficient and easy on the eyes! As you note, the smaller Whitehall hull is not as efficient as is the longer boats are. Eighteen feet is the usual length for ease of rowing but you should be able to enjoy your smaller boat with an efficient sailing rig. I would choose a lee board over a dagger or center board for your little ship. I will be much simpler to install than will a board the pierces the hull. The Port Townsend Foundry makes bronze leeboard fittings as does Davey & Co. LTD in England if you need that hardware.

One main advantage of the lee board is that it will kick up if you run aground. It also is simple to install and allows for more room within the hull for creature comfort on a boat as small as this one. Certainly it is simpler to start with a single lee board. You can always add a second if you wish. But, I doubt you will need it. The lee board has an advantage over a dagger or centerboard as it gives latteral resistance over its total immersed depth wheras the former only adds support for the amount of protrusion below the keel plank. A boat as small as yours is better off being kept simple with just a single sail as it is simpler to handle. A sprit rig will allow you to have the spars stow nicely without taking up much space when you wish to row. It will also afford more spar supported sail area when running off the wind than a narrow Marconi sail rig will. Later, you may wish to add a full batten sail for more control. But, starting simple will get you out sailing sooner by using the easier approach.

The skeg will afford support for the rudder and the directed flow will make the rudder more efficient when running down wind. I should not be much concerned about the small amount of drag it adds as it adds support to the rudder if grounding occurs. The Whitehall hull form has a tendency to track in a straight line so I would opt for keeping the skeg for added rudder support, if it were my own boat. We all wish you good times and great adventures with your little ship!
    Jay

PS You might wish to add hiking straps to tuck your toes under so that you can hike out and keep her flat when the wind blows up!

http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/marine-hardware
    http://www.davey.co.uk/
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-17-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Sculling oar is a bit of an evolution as well.
    It can be a simple oar, but not a "skinny neck" paddle.
    I could snap that paddle in 5 seconds sculling.

Sculling is an art.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qpNsrtWzM

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I would choose a lee board over a dagger or center board for your little ship
    Thanks Jay. And thanks for the links. I will have a look.

Ok. Lets talk lee board again. I like this concept of Ross Lillistone https://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blo...rch?q=leeboard . Leeboad on just one side...could that work for my boat?

(...not sure if it is ok to post pictures from other websites here. Please advise)

Sculling is an art.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qpNsrtWzM
    Thanks Ian. Now I understand. Reminds me of a gondola in Venice/ Italy. I am a bit of an artist. Will manage! Thx.

I am still not sure if I understood Bruce right, if I could use this technique in combination of just a sail and going upwind with it. With wind power. And a bit of muscle power, of course.

Oh goody, Here's my chance to put up ANOTHER picture of me winning the Antigua Classic 2018 Sculling race!
    Happened just a few weeks ago, Won a nice bottle of English Harbor Rum!!!

There is a leeboard set up , where one board just flips side to side. It is attached with a central lanyard, and there are simple chocks on each side . The board is held partly by the friction of the boat pushing on it.
    I'd be afraid of busting the upper encapsulating chock in the illustration in #24. pffft , I know Id bust it.

Found this...

The Yuloh & Sculling Page!

http://www.simplicityboats.com/yulohpage.html

Sculling race!
    Wow. Now that opens up a new world to me. Nevertheless can not see myself compete in a sculling race. On the other side I do build my own bamboo/ tissuepaper fighter kites. Hobbies are just fun!

But I certainly will work on this sculling technique. And probably have myself build a special oar for that. Need to read more into it...thx.

-

Ok. It is nighttime here. Will stop for some time. Thanks a lot to all of you. Hope there will be more coming and I will be back tomorrow. Carpe DIem. Comar
    Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 12:26 PM.

[QUOTE=Indosailor;5563578]Thanks Jay. And thanks for the links. I will have a look.

Ok. Lets talk lee board again. I like this concept of Ross Lillistone https://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blo...rch?q=leeboard . Leeboad on just one side...could that work for my boat?

I do prefer a lee board that will pivot. That is why I offered the sources for the hardware that allows it. I have sailed boats that have a leeboard on one side only for many years. Here is another contact for the lee board hardware. http://www.downwindmarine.com/Sabot-...-91001951.html
    Jay

Jay, there is some good advise here. Thank you. I will look deeper into it. The leeboard of the Sabot is very interesting. I am not giving up my chances to make this boat a little sailboat, (but would like to keep the good rowing abilities.) And the leeboard would be the best solution, probably.

No time to sleep yet. Read more in to sculling and this is very interesting.Also the Yuloh...

I like the idea of a simple setup and a rig plus one oar for sculling seems to be as simple as it can get for a oar and sail boat.
    The cheapest solution as well. Will it work? Let’s see.

Maybe some years in the future I will be able to make another project. A real sailboat.

However I not completely give up to convert this boat into something with good sailing ability. I might be naive here, I know.

I found this thread. Different boat but similar in some areas.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...erting-to-Sail

Here are some quotes, that might help you for further suggestions regarding my boat:

- Boats do different things well, depending on their designs. Taking a Whitehall and converting it to sail may well leave with an uninspired sailboat and a degraded pulling boat. You might be better served to build a sailboat.

- ..you'd have to make an appointment to tack that beautiful boat around, and/or have some sort of rig that would make the boat want to go into the wind like a yawl/ketch or some such where you could ease the foresails and tighten up the aft.

-….you got one fine pulling boat there that will not likely want to tack.and may be tender on other points of sail.

- Your boat's not going to sail like a sailing dinghy,it's going to sail like a sail & oar boat. Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to make better time tacking upwind than you could by just striking your rig and rowing dead to windward--though again, nothing wrong with that. Sail & oar boats are great!

- Putting in a daggerboard and a good daggerboard plug that fairs the bottom of the slot would be fine and not hurt rowing ability. Having a sail rig would increase the range of the boat, and it will sail fine. With two rowers, I'm sure it'd be quicker to row upwind. But for a long day trip, a sail can really be a nice break.

- John Gardner's book Building Classic Small Craft has a chapter on the whitehall. He mentions that it is, in fact, "a capable sailing vessel" and he gives dimensions and building instructions. Mr. Gardner also refers to one in particular in the collection at Mystic. It features a metal daggerboard, sliding rowing seats and two mast locations. It also has a yoke for steering. I don't see it winning many races but might be rather nice to sail about, if the arms get tired of rowing.

- Leeboard? The Sabot has a great little leeboard fitting.

- I built Gardner’s 17’ Whitehall without a centerboard and fitted it with a small 70 sq. ft. sprit sail, but found that the hull was powerful enough to stand up to much more sail area. I also tried lee boards, but was less than satisfied with them.The boat did not point any higher with them than without. They also put a lot of unnecessary strain on the gunnels.
    These boats really can sail quite well given half a chance, but they need a much more powerful rig than is usually considered for them. I would also opt for a lug sail over a sprit sail. I have found lugs to be far handier and much more weatherly than sprit sails.

Now I do not have a 20 ft whitehall. It is only 12 ft. And probably not even a whitehall. But there is some quotes that may fit very well into here.

Happy to hear your opinion... Thank you!

Last edited by Indosailor; 05-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.

A yuloh's advantage is for going in a straight line, over a long distance, in a larger vessel.
    A yulohs dis advantage is fast turning, tight maneuvering.
    The action of the blade in the water is EXACTLY the same as a sculling oar.
    Putting a yuloh on a small boat would be a "novelty" item , or a specialty . Like those Japanese race boats , that almost plane under one oar.
    Learn to scull first anyway.

Larry Pardy used a Yuloh for powering both of his boats. I use a sculling oar on "Red Witch". The Witch displaces 10,500 lbs. Larry and I had a race once using "Swedish" steam to power our boats. I believe "Taleisin" is about the same. We did a morning lap around Ensenada Bay and ended up in a dead heat. Larry's Yuloh takes less steam to operate than does my twelve foot sculling oar. Both strokes on a Yuloh are power strokes! The sculling oar has to feather on the back stroke since it is off the stbd. quarter on "Red Witch".
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-17-2018 at 04:23 PM.

If you are going 500 yards out in calm seas, doing some fishing, then coming back in, might be worth going electric?