Thread: Riding lawn mower blues

Default Riding lawn mower blues

Sears 5 year old mower blew up..

Briggs engine, should have lasted longer then this, main problem is rusty out.

Went looking for a new one, looked at a cub cadet with fuel injection, really?.

Default Re: Riding lawn mower blues

My MTD was built in 2002.

Still going.

I have replaced the head gasket, multiple belts, 3 sets of blades, three deck spindles, and the springs in the hydrostatic transmission that keep the little pistons in contact with the swash plate.

After 4 years of treating that poor bursted like a bush hog, I finally (fingers crossed) have this 5 acres in such condition that I don't hit a piece of flint the size of a Nerf football every time I mow.
    Rattling the teacups.

Go Craigslist yourself a 10yr old sears. They're cheap as chips around here, mostly because they refuse to die, they just keep trading owners.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I don’t understand? The engine blew up? Because it was rusty?

Or, the motor is still good, but the rest of the mower “blew up” — from rust, how?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Buy a few goats bobbys!

I have a Sears with a 16 hp Briggs engine that is fifteen years old and still going strong. I have replaced belts and blades and changed the oil only.

I also have an MTD with a 12 hp Briggs that is twenty-six years old and runs like a top. The mower deck rusted out and I can't buy a replacement, so it is now the yard-cart tractor. I replaced belts, blades, tires and mower deck bearings as well as oil changes on this one, nothing else.

Keep 'em clean and maintained, and they run forever.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I have a Sears with a 16 hp Briggs engine that is fifteen years old and still going strong. I have replaced belts and blades and changed the oil only.

I also have an MTD with a 12 hp Briggs that is twenty-six years old and runs like a top. The mower deck rusted out and I can't buy a replacement, so it is now the yard-cart tractor. I replaced belts, blades, tires and mower deck bearings as well as oil changes on this one, nothing else.

Keep 'em clean and maintained, and they run forever.
    What's the model # on that Sears?

I ask because Sears really doesn't actually MAKE anything.

Here's a key to Sears model #s: http://vintagemachinery.org/Craftsma...rs.aspx?sort=1

As to the 12 hp mower, you can get a deck from somewhere else, and modify it. Lotta trouble though.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    My MTD was built in 2002.

Still going.

I have replaced the head gasket, multiple belts, 3 sets of blades, three deck spindles, and the springs in the hydrostatic transmission that keep the little pistons in contact with the swash plate.

After 4 years of treating that poor bursted like a bush hog, I finally (fingers crossed) have this 5 acres in such condition that I don't hit a piece of flint the size of a Nerf football every time I mow.

i'm doing the same thing at the new house. the yard had been neglected for several years and i'm finding all kinds of shrub stumps and junk the mower catches on. i have the front done.. but the back is a totally different project right now. filling in a pool, tearing out a wood patio and replacing with a concrete patio, re-sodding the whole back.... it'll be all summer.

I believe that in 2003 MTD made Sears-branded tractors.

I did get a deck that didn't quite fit the 12-hp tractor (an MTD deck from a later model that the dealer assured me would fit seamlessly), spent a bunch of time modifying it to fit, and then spent the next year or two trying to make it stop eating drive belts. I gave up on it when the 16-hp came into my hands.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

oh, i'm using a snapper rear engine. it's not much different than the ones they made in the 60's. i like how every aspect is its own component and not tied into everything else. if the transmission craps out, you get a transmission and put it in in 10 minutes.

Get a new motor for it.

Default Riding lawn mower blues

I have a 10 year old cub cadet with a 18 hp Kohler Courage engine. It needed head gaskets, furl pump, snd more last year. Im good again.

Thing about recommending stuff that we have for 5-, 10- or whatever years is that not only don't they build them like they used to, they are different people building than in the past. These can be good things or bad things, but do little to provide purchasing confidence.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Sears 5 year old mower blew up..

Briggs engine, should have lasted longer then this, main problem is rusty out.

Does the roof leak?

Our family has a 1950s vintage Gravely garden tractor, has a number of "attachments" including a rotary mower, a sickle bar mower, a hayrake, a rotary plough and a sulky. Dad ran a 20 acre farm with it for years. Its in really good shape still, I think that things indestructible.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Go Craigslist yourself a 10yr old sears. They're cheap as chips around here, mostly because they refuse to die, they just keep trading owners.
    Wasn't that one of Lefty's favourite tournament chargers? Mucho macho, good seat for the contact of lances across the divider, not too much necessity of a squire's immediate attentions, excellent traction even on a superbly humid and slippery grassy slope and the added benefit of killing every effing tick in it's path?

Speak to me, Oh Ghost of the mid-Connecticut Woods! Tell me I am not insane! (Well, maybe not THAT much).

Once worked for a bottom-rung brand and private label yard equipment mfg'r. Lot'sa "good" stuff out there that will fail in surprising ways and the "junk" that seems to out-perform others. We used to stack sae washers and call them "spacer bushings".
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 05-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Wasn't that one of Lefty's favourite tournament chargers? Mucho macho, good seat for the contact of lances across the divider, not too much necessity of a squire's immediate attentions, excellent traction even on a superbly humid and slippery grassy slope and the added benefit of killing every effing tick in it's path?

Speak to me, Oh Ghost of the mid-Connecticut Woods! Tell me I am not insane! (Well, maybe not THAT much).

I think you are correct... which reminds me that a 10yr old sears 10yrs ago would now be a 20yr old sears...

Bobbys, go getchyerself a 20yr old sears!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.