Thread: PhotoBucket $19.99 per year with all perks...

Thumbs up PhotoBucket $19.99 per year with all perks...

I just paid them $19.99 for 12 months and all my previous photos should be back in the forum.

Doing a happy-dance.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Default Re: PhotoBucket $19.99 per year with all perks...

Info to all others who lost their pictures in the forum. Now you can get them back.

I just checked my old threads where photos were blocked by PhotoBucket. They are all visible now. It was immediate after I paid them. That's less than a dollar a month.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I was so pissed at them I deleted all my photos.

Sounds a lot like that virus that traps all your data till you pay a ransom.

I was (almost) always paying them. At least since 2012.

About a month ago, my automatic payment went to them again.... about $22 USD I think.

My Photopffft photos have always been visible - and there's about 10,500 of mine there.

I doubt that they will survive as a company.... so, in the meantime, I've been re-doing my photos onto Smugmug.

I pay Smugmug USD60 a year. I've uploaded over 4,000 to there in the last month alone.

I've never been much concerned with "permanancy" - but I expect them to last as long as people are interested in viewing them. Photopffft execs deserve a career shoveling manure.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Shutterfly is free, FWIW, although I don't keep many photos on it.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I am certain that future business majors will be forced to study Photobucket as how not to run a company
    "'I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Shutterfly is free, FWIW, although I don't keep many photos on it.
    Nothing's free in this world.

Photopffft had a cost for all users. They limited bandwidth - you had to pay if you wanted your photos visible and people wanted to see them.

If you didn't pay that, you paid by being inundated with advertising.

The "cost" with free hosting sites is there somewhere... and that may be with the site's disappearance.... like Imagestation.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

So what do they give you when they go out of biz? Do you get your photos back?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I am certain that future business majors will be forced to study Photobucket as how not to run a company
    Test marketing and customer surveys can be wonderful tools, if they are used.

I had a joint venture running with a group of business school professors at one stage. One of my tasks for it was to write a best practice paper on pricing. Photopffft broke every rule in the book.

You can buy a 2 Terabyte drive for $70US and keep all your data at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    That's less than a dollar a month.
    Are you sure about that?
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Ha ha.

Next joke?

BTW.... I have the originals of all my photos. The cost to me has been to locate which photos I'd uploaded. I might have shot 400, but only uploaded 30 of them. So... I'm trawling through a lot of old photos.

If you don’t want to pay Photobucket you can get your pics back with a google chrome extension. I lost some of my originals on a long ago hard drive crash and was glad to get them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Doubt it. I suspect the servers are just shut down and you can no longer access your pictures.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.