Thread: The "Boy Scout" in Tillerson comes forward

Default The "Boy Scout" in Tillerson comes forward

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Knowing of his role as one-time President of the BSA, I always held out some hope for his integrity. It's who we are ( me?, an Eagle Scout, Silver Beaver Award holder, and 18-yr veteran as a Scout Master of a Troop with an outstanding record) .

Default Re: The "Boy Scout" in Tillerson comes forward

A scarlet badge. On some level - the Eagle Scout never forgets the oath of the morally straight and reverent.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

well duh! Trump is a troll, a gas lighter. He found a home in the GOP.

Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson argued Wednesday that the U.S. is experiencing a "growing crisis of integrity and ethics" in his first public speech since leaving the Trump administration almost two months ago.

"When we as people, a free people, go wobbly on the truth even on what may seem the most trivial of matters, we go wobbly on America," Tillerson told the graduating class of cadets at the Virginia Military Institute.

While he did not mention President Trump by name, Tillerson did reference an "accepting of alternate realities" and warned that the country is in danger if Americans can't agree on basic facts.

As an Eagle, you are a marked man. Tillerson seemed to be redeeming himself.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Like everybody else associated with this admin, his reputation is ruined. And he was a lousy manager of State to boot. At least Pompeo is hiring again.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post

Knowing of his role as one-time President of the BSA, I always held out some hope for his integrity. It's who we are ( me?, an Eagle Scout, Silver Beaver Award holder, and 18-yr veteran as a Scout Master of a Troop with an outstanding record) .
    Silver Beaver? You have my respect.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

A belated attack of conscience. Well, better late than not at all. The guy's no fool, and I think tried to do a decent job according to his lights.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Thank you, Canoez. Always figures some day I'd write a book, The Boys Of St Mary's.

Thank you, Canoez. Always figures some day I'd write a book, The Boys Of St Mary's.
    You should. The tales we could all tell, I'm sure.

I've always been a bit of a BSA nomad. As a 'yoot, I earned my Arrow of Light and my Eagle award. My dad was a long-time Scouter and Scoutmaster who had earned his Eagle and worked with a long-time council executive who was always known by "Chief" as the old-timers called the exec. He was awarded the Silver Beaver for service to the district. I worked for many years at our local camp and was named to the OA by my fellow camp staff - something our Troop never really participated in. Did National Camp School as well. When I graduated from college and lived in Vermont, I served as a Unit commissioner and worked closely with local Troops and went to Philmont as an advisor with a Council contingent from my home Council. Now that I have a son of my own, I worked with the Tiger, Cub and Webelos dens before moving on as an Assistant Scoutmaster. My son has progressed to being a CIT in a COPE program last Summer and for part of this summer will be on COPE staff again. He and I will be joining a Council contingent heading to Philmont as well and I'm serving as a lead crew advisor for one of the crews. Really looking forward to it.
    -William A. Ward

Tillerson is a miserable, lowlife lump of garbage.
    Rattling the teacups.

In other words, the "growing crisis of integrity and ethics" is now interfering with profits. Tillerson didn't have a problem when it looked like it wouldn't.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    In other words, the "growing crisis of integrity and ethics" is now interfering with profits. Tillerson didn't have a problem when it looked like it wouldn't.
    Rattling the teacups.

You've sure got a rich record in a lot of phases of Scouting, Canoez. A highlight as a teen for me was being part of a small contingent (filling every seat in a GMC Carry-All for the trip to New Jersey) from our Council attending Junior Leader Training at Schiff in the mid 1950's. Later, a Woodbadge course made a deep impression. It was followed by another go-round on a Woodbadge staff. Our Council developed it's own JLT course based on Woodbadge which lasted a number of years, and for which I was SM for one course. I believe the existing National JLT course is similar.

As an adult my son credits Scouting for a great deal.

Now I have a grandson who is an enthusiastic Boy Scout, with a younger sister who is part of the initial group of Cubs in Portland OR.

You've sure got a rich record in a lot of phases of Scouting, Canoez. A highlight as a teen for me was being part of a small contingent (filling every seat in a GMC Carry-All for the trip to New Jersey) from our Council attending Junior Leader Training at Schiff in the mid 1950's. Later, a Woodbadge course made a deep impression. It was followed by another go-round on a Woodbadge staff. Our Council developed it's own JLT course based on Woodbadge which lasted a number of years, and for which I was SM for one course. I believe the existing National JLT course is similar.

As an adult my son credits Scouting for a great deal.

Now I have a grandson who is an enthusiastic Boy Scout, with a younger sister who is part of the initial group of Cubs in Portland OR.
    Our thing was always canoeing and winter camping. I've done many canoeing and winter camping trips and have been on the staff of several of the Operation Zero training sessions.

Never have done the Woodbadge course. It's on my list of things to do. Not sure what I'd do for my "ticket" however.

Da Boy is enjoying his time in Scouting. I'm surprised at his enthusiasm for being on the camp staff - I didn't think it would be his "thing". Two years ago, he was encouraged by the staff as a camper to become a CIT. Last Summer, he went and did his two weeks and they wanted him to come back for more time as a CIT, but we had a family vacation planned. This year, they hired him to be on the staff (staph) full-time even though we're headed to Philmont and will be away for three weeks. I'm certain he'll go back again.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    A belated attack of conscience. Well, better late than not at all. The guy's no fool, and I think tried to do a decent job according to his lights.
    What continues to puzzle me is the phenomenon where competent successful people with some semblance of moral fiber (and there have been some) jump on the train of the D.Tramp administration... only to 'discover' that he's an incompetent, immoral, train-wreck. Who the SAM HILL did they THINK he was???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Mitt Romney had some words to say on The Donald. He knew what was going to happen

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-...ump-is-a-fraud
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Tell us what you REALLY think, Mitt...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.