Thread: Tango Skiff 17 Stitch and Glue Motor Boat

Default Tango Skiff 17 Stitch and Glue Motor Boat

Long time lurker here and I finally have a project of my own to share. I've been building a Tango Skiff 17 stitch and glue motorboat and documenting it over at my blog Boat Build Project. The design is by Hank Bravo who sells plans for 12, 13, 14, 15 and 17-foot versions over at Tango Skiff. The extended transom makes for an interesting look which also serves a functional purpose by acting as trim tabs. I've learned a lot from the fine folks here and it was time to tackle a build of my own.

Here's progress as of a month ago with more detail and pics available here - Sides Stitched on Tango Skiff

Regards,

Rob
    Last edited by ririzarry; 05-18-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Boat Build Project - Tango Skiff 17 Stitch and Glue Motorboat

Default Re: Tango Skiff 17 Stitch and Glue Motor Boat

Cool, going for the center console on the '17?
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Cool, going for the center console on the '17?
    Yes, I think so. Even if it doesn't get remote steering out the gate, it provides an additional seat and makes for a great area to situate the battery. I was also thinking the area under the seat could be insulated and turned into a cooler.

ought to be a nice boat. there is a good review of a tango 13 in the woodenboat 2018 edition of smallboats. good luck

jim

Love that 17, I have had 15 plans for 6 years now and just ready to get started. Seeing that picture in the first post is making me wonder if I should build the 17 instead. I really want a small boat but like bigger too, I am trying to decide if the 17 is still a small boat, I think it might just be. I am gonna chalk my 15 out in the driveway tomorrow and then do the 17 beside it based on a scale up of the published width and beam for it and just look it over, maybe lay in some of the seating features and get a short stool to just sit there and ponder.
    Last edited by Doug Doty; 06-08-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Hi Doug,

I have both sets of plans but ended up going with the Tango 17. It's about as big as I can possibly go in my garage workspace without tripping any alarms from the family. I'm hoping to start fitting the bulkheads and seats soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ririzarry View Post
    Hi Doug,

I have both sets of plans but ended up going with the Tango 17. It's about as big as I can possibly go in my garage workspace without tripping any alarms from the family. I'm hoping to start fitting the bulkheads and seats soon.
    Looking great so far, I am new to wood boat building but good with my hands. What cutting method did you use to cut the scarf bevels onto your panels. ??

I played around with ideas for a few different jigs. But considering that the Tango Skiff 17 only has six scarf joints, a jig started to feel like overkill. Plus, part of the fun of this build has been developing new skills so I grabbed some scraps, practiced for a few hours and went for it. I'm happy with my results.

gotz me a big old glass of SWEET TEA anda...

popcorn.jpg

LET THE FUN CONTINUE

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I am still looking at my tango 15 plans and have not committed to starting it yet. I am teaching myself a CAD CAM program called Fusion 360 so I have made it a learning project to draw all of the boat parts into cad so that I can export as cnc router cut files if I ever wanted to. As far as size goes I have become satisfied with just building the 15 being it is best suited to the 5, 10, 15 and (1)25 hp. motor collection I already have. I am mulling around how to build the transom so that I can easily adapt from long shafts to shorts back and fourth. I will probably start it this fall. The way the Tango is laid out on the plywood, I have realized that it uses all of the sheet width and leaves no room for router bit kerf so if I were to cnc cut one I would have to leave some tabs to be sawn anyway to prevent the need for additional sheets so the benefit is kinda nil. Combine that with expecting some parts to have to be massaged to fit just right and my drawing project may really just be an exorcise.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Doty View Post
    I am still looking at my tango 15 plans and have not committed to starting it yet. I am teaching myself a CAD CAM program called Fusion 360 so I have made it a learning project to draw all of the boat parts into cad so that I can export as cnc router cut files if I ever wanted to. As far as size goes I have become satisfied with just building the 15 being it is best suited to the 5, 10, 15 and (1)25 hp. motor collection I already have. I am mulling around how to build the transom so that I can easily adapt from long shafts to shorts back and fourth. I will probably start it this fall. The way the Tango is laid out on the plywood, I have realized that it uses all of the sheet width and leaves no room for router bit kerf so if I were to cnc cut one I would have to leave some tabs to be sawn anyway to prevent the need for additional sheets so the benefit is kinda nil. Combine that with expecting some parts to have to be massaged to fit just right and my drawing project may really just be an exorcise.
    That's fascinating! And, it appeals to the techie side of my brain in many ways. I'd love to hear more about your progress toward laying the Tango for CNC routing.

For about a hot second, I contemplated reaching out to someone about creating cut files. But ultimately, I decided this would be a great way for me to exercise new parts of my brain and develop new skills. So far, I'm enjoying the process even if it does take longer and isn't quite as accurate.
    Last edited by ririzarry; 07-16-2018 at 08:47 AM.