Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Country music?

Default Re: Country music?

This has elements of country, but I like it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    If you’re implying that I haven’t been paying attention to the country music awards shows, you are absolutely right.
    You seem to be a little mixed up. You don't pay attention to Country Music award shows, but you know you don't like the artists who appear on them, but you do like Emmylou Harris, who has won 14 Grammy Awards, is in the Country Music Hall of Fame, and was awarded a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award a couple of months ago. The girl's been on more award shows than Carter's has liver pills.

Not mixed up at all. Every time I turn on a country music awards show I stay just long enough to realize I don’t like it and switch channels. Yet when I watched the Emmy Lou Harris special, I liked almost all of her guest artists.

Just a couple of things, here.

1) Trashing Emmy Lou is simply cretinous,

Rattling the teacups.

And
    2) Country Music I'M TALKIN' TO YOU!

Rattling the teacups.

Here is a song Ian Tyson wrote in the 60's
    If growth is good then how much is enough

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Just a couple of things, here.

1) Trashing Emmy Lou is simply cretinous,
    Lest there be any misunderstanding, who is trashing Emmy Lou Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Lest there be any misunderstanding, who is trashing Emmy Lou Harris?
    I thought Donn was.

No?
    Rattling the teacups.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Written by Guy Clark's wife Susanna Clark about their friend Townes Van Zandt.

Shannon McNally - Black Haired Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Written by Guy Clark's wife Susanna Clark about their friend Townes Van Zandt.

. . .
    Oh my God they are all so YOUNG!

Any idea who the guy on the right is?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Oh my God they are all so YOUNG!

Any idea who the guy on the right is?
    As has been recently revealed, the man in the funny pants is named Daniel Antopolsky, and his placement in the photo is anything but random or accidental. He was a singer and songwriter himself, a dear friend of Townes Van Zandt’s who is even given credit for saving his life, and according to some, the left-handed guitar player was the inspiration for “Lefty” in Van Zandt’s signature song “Pancho & Lefty.”

That latter point is apparently up for debate, but what isn’t is that if Daniel Antopolosky wasn’t around, there’s a good chance Townes Van Zandt would have died of a heroin overdose way before he was able to pen many of his legendary songs. In the spring of 1972, Antopolosky and Townes Van Zant took off for Houston in Daniel’s white Dodge van. Two days into the trip, Daniel was carrying Van Zandt into the hospital where he was initially declared “dead on arrival” by the medical staff. Townes had slipped into a coma, and eventually they were able to revive him. But according to doctors, if Van Zandt had arrived to the hospital two minutes later than he did, he likely would have died.

“It was a crazy time,” Daniel Antopolosky recalls. “From the early 70’s, I remember I went out to Texas with Townes and it was just heroin everywhere. The needles were kept in a dart board, thrown into a dart board. And it was a big joke. And I was afraid of that. I just wanted to make nice songs.”

Daniel Antopolosky was born and raised in Augusta, GA, and attended the University of Georgia in Athens where he began playing music. This is where he met Townes Van Zandt, and accompanied Townes on a six month tour where he sang backup and occasionally performed a song or two himself. Daniel dedicated his life to songwriting, and was right there during one of Townes Van Zandt’s most prolific eras.

“What’s deep is, Daniel and Townes Van Zandt were in a shared hotel room 40 years ago, and they had two guitars. And they both were writing songs, and they both were young and creative and on fire,” producer Gary Gold explains. “So Daniel said, ‘I’m going outside to the parking lot to write my song.’ Townes stayed in the hotel room and wrote his song. They came together after writing each song and they played each other’s song. So Townes’ song “Pancho & Lefty” turned out to be an iconic song. The song that Daniel played for Townes, ‘Sweet Lovin’ Music’ has only been heard by Townes, and Daniel’s family.”
    https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/p...el-antopolsky/

Just because I love this song.

Butch Hancock "Boxcars"

Thanks for that. Been streaming Jr all morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Must be showing my age. When I think of country music I think if Patsy Cline, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, Merle Haggart, etc. Mostly songs of heartbreak, many written by Hank Williams. A lot of songs crossed over to other genres, so I'm a bit hesitant to use labels.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead