Thread: Forest of Flowers

Default Forest of Flowers

Trilliums -- they carpet our woods this time of year.

Default Re: Forest of Flowers

Beautiful! What are they called?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Trillium is a genus of perennial flowering plants native to temperate regions of North America and Asia. It was formerly treated in the family Trilliaceae or trillium family, a part of the Liliales or lily order. Wikipedia

Scientific name: Trillium

My mother entered a nursing home over the Christmas holidays. Then in late March she was moved to a nicer nursing home. This is in northern Ohio.

The first weekend in May I took off Friday and Monday and drove up to visit her for 4 days. That Sunday I put her in my car and we took a 4-hour drive and went wherever she wished. She wanted to see the Trillium in bloom. So we drove into a wooded area. They were all over.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

They are beautiful. Where I grew up in MD we had lillies of the valley. I used to transplant them to a place closer to the house (I'm not sure that was legal) so I could enjoy them more. They have that same peaceful, lovely look to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    My mother entered a nursing home over the Christmas holidays. Then in late March she was moved to a nicer nursing home. This is in northern Ohio.

The first weekend in May I took off Friday and Monday and drove up to visit her for 4 days. That Sunday I put her in my car and we took a 4-hour drive and went wherever she wished. She wanted to see the Trillium in bloom. So we drove into a wooded area. They were all over.

Must look even more beautiful in real life.

Is this stay for your Mum permanently or for a short period?

Regardless I wish her well and hope that she is being treated well and has a pleasant stay.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate
    Must look even more beautiful in real life.
    Yes they do.

Is this stay for your Mum permanently or for a short period?

Regardless I wish her well and hope that she is being treated well and has a pleasant stay.
    This will be my mother's final residence. She will be 88 years old this July and is no longer able to live independently.

She fell in December and spent a week in Fisher-Titus Medical Center in Norwalk, Ohio. She was then sent to the first nursing home for rehab and assessment. It was determined that she could no longer live independently. That nursing home - which shall remain nameless - had a vacancy and so that is where my mother remained until the end of March. It is privately owned and operated and is just adequate.

We immediately placed my mother on the waiting list for Norwalk Memorial Home which is owned by Fisher-Titus Medical Center (and is physically connected to it). She entered Norwalk Memorial Home the last week of April. The difference is like night and day. My mother loves the place, has made a number of friends, and is happy. And I am happy for her.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Yes they do.

This will be my mother's final residence. She will be 88 years old this July and is no longer able to live independently.

She fell in December and spent a week in Fisher-Titus Medical Center in Norwalk, Ohio. She was then sent to the first nursing home for rehab and assessment. It was determined that she could no longer live independently. That nursing home - which shall remain nameless - had a vacancy and so that is where my mother remained until the end of March. It is privately owned and operated and is just adequate.

We immediately placed my mother on the waiting list for Norwalk Memorial Home which is owned by Fisher-Titus Medical Center (and is physically connected to it). She entered Norwalk Memorial Home the last week of April. The difference is like night and day. My mother loves the place, has made a number of friends, and is happy. And I am happy for her.
    Spend as much time as you can with her. Ask her and learn of her younger days. She will love it and you will learn family history from her. Once your Mum has gone there can be no more two-way conversations.
    Trust me and do it, I wish I had visited my mother even more often than I did.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I was just admiring a large patch of purplish-pink trillium flowers out in the woods this past weekend. I'd never seen so many in that color phase.

Interesting plants. Quoted from this Article in Montana Outdoors magazine:

"What sets them apart is their longevity. One plant in Oregon grew to be 72 years old."
    "... research shows that a trillium in Montana takes at least 18 years to produce its first flower. In addition, each year more than one-quarter of mature plants in a given area take a break from blooming and do not produce a flower. The reason remains a mystery."

Their life-cycle is involved with ants, which transport the seeds underground.

They are a fragile flower. They get their year's energy in the 2 weeks between when their leaves emerge, and the trees overhead shade them out. So, never very vigorous.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Trillium are a favorite of mine. Not sure if I have ever seen a display of them like that. Probably the best that I have seen was along the Appalachian Trail east of Hwy 60 in Georgia.

I've never seen so many in one place, there must be a trillium of them! My wife loves them. If she came across that many she'd be trilled.

My wife also loves them. She says, however, if you pick a flower the plant will probably die

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Spend as much time as you can with her. Ask her and learn of her younger days. She will love it and you will learn family history from her. Once your Mum has gone there can be no more two-way conversations.
    Trust me and do it, I wish I had visited my mother even more often than I did.
    +100

Once the downward cycle starts with lack of mobility and ability to live independently. It is a one-way street (for them).

Savor every moment and make time for extra moments.

Sorry for the thread hijack. The Trilliums are gorgeous. We don't get a lot of those in Florida ;~)