Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to stop a dog digging under the fence?

Default Suggestions on how to stop a dog digging under the fence?

The escape committee has been at it again.

The miscreant (runt of the litter) has excavated a trench under the chain link fencing.

Approximate dimensions 2'6" along the fence line, 2'0" back into the property and 8" deep under the fence.

While I was in the shower he then escaped with the three other dogs.

The 'search and rescue' mission made me late for work this morning. I have temporally put a large container in the hole until I get home this afternoon.

At previous such excavations, I have installed a section of chainlink starting about 1'0" above ground going vertically to the ground then about 2-3'0" along the ground internally for a length of approximately 8'0".

Something like this, but NOT electrified . . . YET !

Suggestions on how to stop a dog digging under the fence?

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Suggestions on how to stop a dog digging under the fence?

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Longer twice daily walks for your dog?
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Open the door for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Good idea, but fortunately, or unfortunately, the perimeter does not have the line-of-sight to install those that require a beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Longer twice daily walks for your dog?
    There are four(4) of them.

Mind you, a walk with two in the early morning and then a walk with the other two in the evening would do wonders for my health, stamina and waistline.

Might work and stop dogs wanting to escape. Great suggestion. I'll try that.

The dog needs to respect and or love you.

This could be difficult.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post

This could be difficult.
    :::Choking on coffee:::

You could warn a guy, yannnow.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I have an Escape Artist, but she has been completely broken of the habit (fingers crossed).

How did I accomplish this, you may ask?

Well, her technique is principally to bolt through the gate when we open it.

When she did that, it became my habit to close the gate and walk away.

After an hour or so of terrorizing the neighborhood, she wanted back in.

Nope.

Whine? Bark? Wheedle and cajole?

Nope.

Feeding time?

Nope.

Exclusion from the pack?

Yup.

After a couple of such treatments, she decided it just wasn't worth it.

IMG_0886.jpg

65 pounds of dog in a 45-pound sack.
    Rattling the teacups.

This could be difficult.
    lmao....

"...the perimeter does not have the line-of-sight to install those that require a beam." - RP

With boundary training (often marketed as an electric fence or an invisible fence), the shock collar is triggered by wires placed underground along the property line so the dog learns exactly how far they can go before they reach the boundary. (from Canine Journal)

This could be difficult.
    On the basis of the article below they love and respect me. Maybe I need to reinforce this on the miscreant.

Signs That Show Your Dog Respects You

March 26, 2010
    By Linda Cole
    The loyalty of our dogs cannot be questioned; they will stand by us through thick and thin. Dogs can be well behaved and guard our homes and property, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they respect you. You can tell if your dog respects you by how they interact with you.
    Happy tail wagging, ears laid back and submissive body language when you return home is one sign your dog respects you. Lip licking, grooming you and even a kiss on the cheek are signs that they recognize you as their leader and respect you.
    In the dog world, the leader always goes first. A dog who races to the door ahead of his owner is showing disrespect, and doesn’t see the human as the alpha of his pack. When your dog respects you, he stays calmly behind you and waits for you to walk through the doorway first. Whether you are going outside for a walk, up or down steps or someone has knocked on the door, a respectful dog will never push ahead of his owner.
    The alpha always eats first and never gives out scraps of food while eating. The dog who recognizes you as his leader and respects you will never steal food from your hand, the dinner table or your plate. He will wait until you decide it’s time for him to eat. Anytime you feed your dog, if you haven’t eaten beforehand, take a snack and eat it in front of your dog and then feed him. If you can leave your food unattended for a short time, that’s a big sign your dog respects you.
    The leader of the pack always takes the prime places for sitting or lying down. The respectful dog will move out of your way anytime you claim a spot on the couch, your chair or in your bed. There’s nothing wrong with allowing your dog on the furniture or in bed with you, but never allow him to push you out of your spot. When you get up, the dog should take a position on the floor and if he is lying in your path, he will get up and move if he respects you. Never walk around your dog. Make him move out of your way.
    We need to groom, bathe, trim toenails, give medication, put on flea control and do things the dog may not like. A dog who respects and trusts his owner will not growl while things are being attended to no matter how much he dislikes it. Dogs use eye contact to challenge and intimidate subordinates in the pack. If your dog respects you, he will break eye contact with you first. Never look away from your dog first if he is staring at you.
    A dog who completely ignores your commands to sit, drop it, stay or lie down is showing they are the ones who decide when and what they will do. Following your rules and basic commands not only shows your dog respects you, but it’s important for them to learn and obey commands because they don’t understand the danger a moving car can present to them if they ignore it.
    Being the leader of the pack is an awesome responsibility. Your dog is giving you his trust that you will provide him with what he needs and do so in a respectful matter as his leader. But you have to earn your dog’s trust and respect. It’s not automatic and you do have to prove yourself to your dog. An owner who appears weak as a leader, is inconsistent, unfair, shows that the dog intimidates them and allows their dog to be dominate has lost the battle for control, and the dog will not respect them.
    When a dog doesn’t respect his owner, it can open the door to an out of control, unhappy dog and owner who clash every day. An owner who has not taken full command of his dog will have an unstable and potentially more aggressive pet that is difficult to handle. These are the dogs that often end up in shelters or even abandoned.

It’s not difficult to earn a dog’s respect and trust. By taking the alpha role and showing your dog love, kindness and your own respect for him, your dog will gladly follow and obey you. Be consistent in your training, fair in your punishment if and when it’s needed and give your dog lots of praise. Set aside playing time to bond, and stay in control to earn your dog’s respect and the right to the best places to sit and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I have an Escape Artist, but she has been completely broken of the habit (fingers crossed).

How did I accomplish this, you may ask?

Well, her technique is principally to bolt through the gate when we open it.

When she did that, it became my habit to close the gate and walk away.

After an hour or so of terrorizing the neighborhood, she wanted back in.

Nope.

Whine? Bark? Wheedle and cajole?

Nope.

Feeding time?

Nope.

Exclusion from the pack?

Yup.

After a couple of such treatments, she decided it just wasn't worth it.

65 pounds of dog in a 45-pound sack.
    Thanks, that is a good idea.
    I will incorporate that.
    Mind you, when it 'returned', I used to give the command 'in' and the dog would get back in and I would discover where it was going in and out. Then I would fix that escape route.

All of mine are 55lbs - 75lbs.

The (now) 55lb villain in question:
    IMG_2220.jpg
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 05-16-2018 at 10:15 AM.

In general inflicting pain is not a wholesome training method. Training a dog with shock collar and invisible boundry takes some care because you need to deliberately lead the dog into pain at a diagonal so that any reaction will cause the dog to pull back from the boundry. If for any reason the dog goes at the boundry straight on at any speed, as if it saw something to chase, it'll burst through with but the briefest pain and will instantly learn that the boundry can be rendered meaningless. In one moment, your careful training and expense are undone for good.

You already have a fence that meets your needs. Invest in chicken wire or a heavier wire mesh, dig along the fence, fold into an L channel and bury. Wire tie or staple the very top of the mesh to the fence a few inches above the ground. Most dogs are deterred by a foot down and a foot in but to be sure it's better to go 2'x2'. Besides, 4' wide rolls are standard, at least around here.

Mesh has real advantages over light chickwire because the chickwire's more open mesh and thinner strands can lead some dogs to hurt their paws in a determined attack on the escape tunnel.

This could be difficult.
    Consistency is key !
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    In general inflicting pain is not a wholesome training method. Training a dog with shock collar and invisible boundry takes some care because you need to deliberately lead the dog into pain at a diagonal so that any reaction will cause the dog to pull back from the boundry. If for any reason the dog goes at the boundry straight on at any speed, as if it saw something to chase, it'll burst through with but the briefest pain and will instantly learn that the boundry can be rendered meaningless. In one moment, your careful training and expense are undone for good.

You already have a fence that meets your needs. Invest in chicken wire or a heavier wire mesh, dig along the fence, fold into an L channel and bury. Wire tie or staple the very top of the mesh to the fence a few inches above the ground. Most dogs are deterred by a foot down and a foot in but to be sure it's better to go 2'x2'. Besides, 4' wide rolls are standard, at least around here.

Mesh has real advantages over light chickwire because the chickwire's more open mesh and thinner strands can lead some dogs to hurt their paws in a determined attack on the escape tunnel.
    Thanks, that seems to the best way, especially the dimensions.

Had vet student, as a tenant, who had an anti-bark shock collar on her dog. I couldn't do that, likewise don't like the boundary collar version either.

I'd be inclined to put it in all the way around but if your pup takes more than a day to dig through, you could just put in fence section by fence section as he digs.

Let him do at least a bit of the work.

I've seen jobs where the horizontal part was very shallow, even laid on the surface and staked. Depends on the dog. The advantage of a deeper system a friend installed is that she was also keeping coyotes out and did not want a horizontal shelf on both sides.

I have a concrete block wall on the road boundary, two chain link fences to the sides and a 40-70'0" cliff on the South.

While dogs avoid the cliff edge I am considering planting cactus on the cliff edge:

Prickley pear but it grabs too much space.

The thought ofTurks head cactus

But while neat not really adequate.

Then considering the CaribbeanAgave but spikes?
    We do have two on the property and the dogs are aware of them and avoid them

I don't want a high fence or wall. Suggestions?

We have a typical livestock fence, 2 strands of wire, around our garden to keep the coons from climbing the fence and destroying things. It's energized with a 12 volt car battery which we re-charge once a month. A couple of dogs have peed on it, but only once. It's pretty unobtrusive, and if it were only dogs, and once apparently being enough, I don't think it would have to be energized all of the time. I think 1 strand about 6 inches above grade would do it. Don't pee on it Rummy, or maybe you should, just for the story, maybe make a vid for us, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    We have a typical livestock fence, 2 strands of wire, around our garden to keep the coons from climbing the fence and destroying things. It's energized with a 12 volt car battery which we re-charge once a month. A couple of dogs have peed on it, but only once. It's pretty unobtrusive, and if it were only dogs, and once apparently being enough, I don't think it would have to be energized all of the time. I think 1 strand about 6 inches above grade would do it. Don't pee on it Rummy, or maybe you should, just for the story, maybe make a vid for us, eh?
    What about using a solar powered car battery top-up charger?

What is the spacing between the wires and also the ground?

As to peeing on it, I'm sure it'd make a shocking youtube vid.

Don't have a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Don't have a dog?
    I have four(4) and a cat!

Shock collars, like choke collars when on leash, should be viewed as a temporary training device used in conjunction with owner-involved training, not a permanent and untended feature. Per Ian's argument against them, yes, a dog running at speed can burst through with only momentary pain, but you have a fence to stop any headlong rushes. The shock collar will train the dog that he must stay away from the fence and - especially - not try to dig under it. With attentive and supportive training, the need for the shock collar should be dispensed with in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    There are four(4) of them.

Mind you, a walk with two in the early morning and then a walk with the other two in the evening would do wonders for my health, stamina and waistline.

Might work and stop dogs wanting to escape. Great suggestion. I'll try that.
    "Woof!" Say the dogs.

i have 3 dogs too. Once we started to walk them early in the morning and then for a 45 min walk after dinner... the dogs have come around to be much more well mannered, not so needy, await voice and hand commands and more eager to please. when we practice this in earnest... our own wellbeing and waste line are much improved too.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

One single strand 12v wire dog nose height about a foot inside the fence. I found the dog will get a couple of belts and learns not to go near again. after a short time just turn off the power and then there's no maintenance.. some animals learn so well they wont go near the proper fence even if you take away the 12 v strand completely. Not sheep, not cows , not horses,. Once I quartered a large paddock with this method to keep the pigs in, and the idea to rotate them into the next section when necessary. I couldn't , or well it was difficult, to get them to cross where the fence had been even when everything had been removed. I guess they could see the change in terrain maybe, or the grass level. Never figured out whether pigs are super smart or completely dim.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    What about using a solar powered car battery top-up charger?

What is the spacing between the wires and also the ground?

As to peeing on it, I'm sure it'd make a shocking youtube vid.
    Perhaps a solar charger would be enough to maintain the battery. That wouldn't surprise me where you are, the unit consumes very little energy.

We have 2 wires, both hot. Actually it's one wire, run all the way around at about 3 or 4 inhes above grade then doubled back at about 10 inches above grade. That's enough to stop the coons, they cannot, or will not, jump to above the upper wire.

The way a livestock fence works is by storing the low voltage for a second or 2 then discharging it all at once as high voltage and low amperage, a lot like the ignition in a car. The shockee touches the wire and acts as a conductor thru to ground. If the ground is wet, and therefore conducts well, it can be quite a jolt. Anyway, it works for bears and coons, it will work for dogs without harming them.

And about the vid, c'mon Rummy, take one for the forum! Please?!

I can just imagine you in this vid.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 05-16-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Powder and lead, for one of you

A bit of chicken wire doubled back on or under the ground may do it. As per your copied drawing, but may not to be quite so military grade.

I would be concerned that the dog would cut its pads while digging on buried chicken wire. Maybe something a bit heavier, or plastic-coated.

6-6-10-10 welded wire mesh for concrete reinforcement laid along the fence. Use a shock collar only if you're willing to don it yourself for a trial. Punitive training for dogs or any living creature is cruel. Furthermore, the training is temporary only. Better to use positive reinforcement training, i.e. clicker training.

Jeff

I have peed on an electric fence. I do not recommend it. Seriously. Trust me on this one.

Invisible fence - as said - a dog sees a squirrel & is through it in milliseconds. Then he tries to come back home at a more leisurely pace & cannot get back. You've just trained your dog not to come home.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A bit of chicken wire doubled back on or under the ground may do it. As per your copied drawing, but may not to be quite so military grade.
    Thats how i fox proofed the chicken coop.
    If i could stop the cockatoos from ripping the roof off to get to the chicken food.......
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

Paving slabs or a concrete path.

I have fox proofed the chicken coop, but the 5'-6' Lace Monitors (big lizzards) just rip the 2 layers of wire to bits.
    We had a Newfoundland dog that chewed and scratched his way through two doors, and a poodle/terrier cross that climbed a 6' wire fence and squeezes through a 3" gap to escape. He got out on the road an had such a bawling out that next time he escaped, he climbed back in as we watched. Too smart for his own good.