Thread: Remodelled supermaxi yacht CQS, formerly Nicorette

Default Remodelled supermaxi yacht CQS, formerly Nicorette

The revamped supermaxi, formerly Nicorette now known as CQS, has been launched in Tauranga, on New Zealand’s east coast.

Originally 90ft, the hull has been stretched to 98ft and fitted with several new features including a reverse bow, DSS foils, an outsized bowsprit, and ‘wings’ to spread the shroud base supporting the mast.

CQS features DSS – Dynamic Stability System – using foils that are similar to those used by several of the entries in the current Vendee Globe race. As well as lifting the hull and reducing drag the DSS foils also produce righting moment for the supermaxi.

http://yachtboatnews.com/cqs-superma...d-in-tauranga/

(It will be interesting to see how this hull form copes with FBW's (effing big waves); I suspect that the crew will have to wear scuba gear - mmd)

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Remodelled supermaxi yacht CQS, formerly Nicorette

Just a giant skiff really.

Pretty much describes the maxi's for the past decade, as well as the 'round-the-world racers.

The front deck reminds me of old submarines, I suppose that may be appropriate.

looks dangerous

More than 2 sets of spreaders is always optimistic...

We had a discussion at the time. She did make it to the Sydney Hobart race but was a disappointment. I don't know what happened after.
    That was about 2 years ago I think.

I didn't realize that the pics I posted were that old, John. I spotted them on Google and thought, "hmmmm...." I would love to see a pic of her beating to weather in six-foot seas.

It was quite exciting to see , Michael, we would motor out right by where she moored.
    Another connection was my good friend was one of the delivery crew who picked her up in Asia pre modification.

Not a great trip, she was in terrible condition.

The crane is wonderful.

Hopefully not stepping on the toes of anyone you know, John, but I wonder if they would have proceeded with that hull form had they gone to the expense of model testing it (real model, not computer).

I do find it interesting that they have a single-point sling to pick it up.

To be fair , it was all a rush and she didn't get time to shake down for that SH. But I haven't heard what happened next or where she is now.

I see boats like that and sometimes wonder what Cap't Nat would have thought.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Isn't CQS the predecessor to SOS?

Not really fish nor fowl and unless it shows some performance against modern designs that use recent developments in hull,foil and rig design it will probably be stripped of it's hardware and cut up in a year or two.The people who race these things have large egos and large bank balances,buying an old,cheap boat,spending a stack of cash on a refit and failing to win won't impress anybody and the chance of getting a useful amount of the cost back at sale time is pretty remote.

Again , when it came out out of nowhere a couple or more? years ago( edit, 2016) it actually was quite radical for here. The wave piercing bow , the outboard shrouds and the DSS system plus a canting keel . Now we see variants on foils and ram bows on all sorts. So in a way it was quite leading edge. May not have paid off in actuality on that boat but the principles are used on all sorts.( or has it ? I don't know where it is) So part of the pioneering of a new style is how I see it.

The new 40 ft all over SA is an example. Ran ?
    Last edited by John B; 05-16-2018 at 05:30 PM.

I've actually sailed it....well, part of it, years ago. The development story goes like this, if I recall correctly;

UBF Finland was built as a Joubert Nivelt (?) designed IOR lightweight maxi for the 1987-88 Whitbread (now Volvo) and was quick in some conditions;

Ludde bought it and built a new 82' non-IOR hull using the rig, deck and fittings. She took line honours in the Fastnet;

In 2000, she was given a keel with a trim tab, some more mods and won line honours in the Sydney-Hobart in a classic match-up between the big budget glamour boat Shockwave/Alfa Romeo and the bitsa Nicorette. Nice boat, although when I had a little go she was using a spare rudder that would switch from a nice touch of weather helm to significant lee helm at about 21 knots boatspeed. This can be slightly un-nerving when one is driving an 82'er under masthead asymmetric spinnaker offshore;

The 82'er was then extended and rebuilt into a 90'er when they changed the IRC rating limit for the Hobart;

The new 100' hull with the foils, deck spreaders and canting keel was then built, using the original deck that was off the first rebuild or perhaps off the original 1987 hull. I think it was said that part of the reason for the tumblehome at the bow is because the 100' hull has to curve in to meet a deck that was originally built for an 82'.

I don't think Ludde's got a particularly big ego, and here in Australia we have had a few big-boat owners who are happy to chop up boats on a budget, or buy old maxis, and sail them well. The Open 60 Xena, one of CQS' rivals in her Nicorette era, was basically an old hull chopped around with old gear and budget bits and sailed well. And then there's the legendary Syd Fischer, who recut two of his IOR 50s into IMS boats by putting new hulls under the old rigs, decks and gear (and doing very well with them) and was involved in the rebuild of the 100' supermaxi Maximus into the 100' Ragamuffin. And then there was Wharo, who built a 70'er to go under an old America's Cup rig, then extended it, then ended up with a budget 100'er - and managed to do most of it by not paying bills and doing things like registering a maxi under his kid's name to keep the creditors at bay.

CQS, rather sadly, is struggling and seems to be well off the pace.
    Last edited by Chris249; 05-17-2018 at 03:06 AM.