Thread: New Sunreef powercat

Default New Sunreef powercat

I must admit that I am not overly fond of the trend towards drawing yachts with only a straightedge...

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: New Sunreef powercat

Why is it right hand drive?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

The last pic makes me think "I've got my house with me - oh damn! I need to steer the thing! Let me stick the controls over here so they don't ruin the urban apartment aesthetic."
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

That last photo is hilarious!

This strikes me as a Benford florida coaster cut from modern cloth. Max boat for the marina fee.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Phil Bolger at his weirdest, but with an unlimited budget. At least he had a good reason.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    That last photo is hilarious!

This strikes me as a Benford florida coaster cut from modern cloth. Max boat for the marina fee.
    I do quite like the Coasters, I know that they don't get a lot of love, and Benford even less, but at least they look like a proper boat. With a dedicated bridge.

Nosce te ipsum

The larger models of Benford's 'Coaster' series - like the one above - aren't too extreme, but the smaller ones, well...

Looks like it'd fall over sideways - but I guess that's your point
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I meant no disparagement of Benford, but yeah #7 illustrates my point fairly well I think.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Nah, not seen as disparagement. It's all a matter of taste. . .

You gotta admit though, 38' with the ability to carry a tender, a jeep, and a helo, is pretty impressive.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Looks like it'd fall over sideways - but I guess that's your point
    Just because I came across it. This is for the 45' Coaster, "Sails."

Nosce te ipsum

Yes, it is impressive, Ol' Dryfoot, as long as you restrict your cruising to the coasts of lakes and rivers. I would be very cautious about taking it out into even sheltered salt water, such as the Inside Passage, where the possibility of being gaught in one metre waves is high. I have not seen (nor prepared) a stability assessment of the boat, but I have done lots on fishing boats that are similar in beam and length and stacked just about as high, and the stability curve is , ummm, tenuous. And the fishing boats have two or three feet more draft with a correspondingly lower centre of gravity. The Benford Coaster 38 is, IMHO, limited by its stability.

Edit to add: While the posted stability curve is interesting, Ol' Dryfoot, it needs to be supported by an inclining condition report. For example, it that stability curve including a Jeep on deck?

^ No passage making. Got it.

I"d sooner have a 45' Benford ferry anyway.

Nosce te ipsum

What is interesting about that stability graph that you posted is where it gains its greatest stability. At thirty degrees of heel it begins to lose righting moment as the water tops the bulwarks and the deck submerges, then gains stability as the house begins to submerge. It reaches maximum righting moment when the boat is forty degrees past lying on its beam ends with the house almost fully submerged. This, of course, assumes that the windows hold up to the hydrostatic pressure on them, and that no hatches or doors have been left open to allow down-flooding. I'm sorry, but I ain't buying it. Bulwarks don't count as hull, only hull to main deck does, and you can see in your picture how close to the water surface the main deck is. Typical regulatory agency rules (CCG, USCG, Lloyds, etc.) define maximum stability as that angle where righting moment exists up to the point of potential down-flooding, which I estimate to be around twenty or twenty-five degrees of heel. But again, we don't know what the assumed (or actual) weight condition was investigated. I suspect that Mr. Benford used the best possible scenario with CG as low as possible (no Jeep on deck).

Don't get me wrong - I like Jay Benford's designs (well, a lot of them), and I don't believe that he is in any way incompetent as a naval architect; I just think that he is being a bit disingenuous about his published stability curves for the Coaster 45 that you posted. As I said earlier, the Coaster series of boats, especially the smaller ones, are fine for calm water use, but not so much in any place where there is significant waves.

The Benford Coasters are perfectly fine for their intended purpose, pleasant nautical-looking floating houses that can be easily moved around on the water in good weather and small waves.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Didn't know you could build a boat with lego.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I did notice that a couple of curves had found their way onto the powercat in the first post.It might have been a good idea to sneak one or two more into the interior so that the furniture didn't have sharp corners.

Looks like an awesome boat to charter in the Caribbean, Med. Calm seas, lots of family and plenty of room for everyone.

Isn't that it's intended purpose? Form follows function.