Thread: New car model year

Default New car model year

These days at what point in the year do we really know what the next year’s model is like? i.e., I see a lot of pictures of the 2019 Subaru WRX sti but many are concept or guesses. Trying to decide to buy a 2018 now or wait. There is one concept set of pix that looks nice (barring wing and red neon lights), but pretty sure it is pie in the sky.

(I’m obligated to add there is a lot about this I don’t like, but I think the basic sheet metal is nice. )

681A2A77-180F-4E87-96F4-85AE9987E344.jpg

Default Re: New car model year

needs bigger wheels and lower profile tires

Civic Type R.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Civic Type R.
    Kinda looks the same doesn’t it? Also about the same price. Better choice? She’s had her eye on the sti for some time now.

oops. Looks like the Civic is only front wheel drive, a deal breaker.

Civic Type R.
    uncanny

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Kinda looks the same doesn’t it? Also about the same price. Better choice? She’s had her eye on the sti for some time now.

oops. Looks like the Civic is only front wheel drive, a deal breaker.
    It's a better driver's car than the STi, and cheaper into the bargain. I've driven a friends. Fantastic car, if you can get one, and it's uncanny how they made the FWD work. But if you actually need it to go skiing, I guess AWD has the advantage. But if it was me, I'd take a hard look at the R. It's the hot hatch of the moment and for good reasons.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

This is probably the most critical You Tube review of the car. I have to agree that it's "youthfully styled" but so's the Subaru. I'd probably go with a Golf R myself but for me, the Civic Type R is the most interesting of the breed they bring here at the moment. You should try to drive a few of them because they're all pretty different. I'm not usually a fan of Subaru driving dynamics but maybe the new car is better. In any case, this is your opportunity to drive them all.....if you can find the ones you are interested in. That can be harder to organize than you'd think it should be.

The AWD gets you legally over the passes around here when two wheel drives get politely turned back by the State Troopers. Deal breaker.

(Of course that aero ground clearance may stop you before the Trooper does. )

Do the troopers look at the tires? I'll take a FWD with good snowshoes over an AWD with eco-tires anyday!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Do the troopers look at the tires? I'll take a FWD with good snowshoes over an AWD with eco-tires anyday!
    Good question, I don’t really know but I hope they do. With the fwd/awd it’s not a judgement call except for when they decide to implement it. After that it’s automatic. Whether they know each car or not I don’t know. But with Audis and Subarus it’s pretty obvious.

Its not coincidence that the Honda Civic type R was presented at that angle.The view with it rotated 180 degrees is rather less happy.It has to be said though that the excrescences do help it to proceed remarkably quickly.

Agree with John, I followed one down a highway yesterday and after first being perplexed by what I thought was some boy racers wet dream , I worked out what it was . From the back quarter , not so good.
    ( man I hate it when I disagree with Lew, ...)

4WD

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I have not purchased a new car since my 1977 Honda Accord, simply to avoid depreciation. Most of my cars have been low mileage 3-4 year old autos, and some even older.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    4WD
    We have a 4WD Audi S5 that fulfills that function. But she wants a small nimble city car to replace her VERY beloved ‘87 Corolla GTS. But because we have friends and relatives on the other side of the mountains, we want the 4WD option on that as well. Plus I’m hoping she likes the sti enough that she would be willing to get rid of the S5. It’s a nice car, but it isn’t real practical.

My x drive BMW is about 100 times better on slippery surfaces than my 4wd Fj cruiser. The only downside is deep snow.
    4WD

The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

yeah, but is the BMW fun to drive?

My FIL is a bimmer guy, new-every-two for the past couple decades. Over the past 3 or 4 cars it just seems like they've lost that fun factor, they're just gadget-wagons now.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

My FIL is a bimmer guy, new-every-two for the past couple decades. Over the past 3 or 4 cars it just seems like they've lost that fun factor, they're just gadget-wagons now.
    I think that might depend on the model. The one I posted was the competition version of the M5. I think it would be fun to drive.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

328 xi. Small, sporty, handles well. A blast to drive on windy roads. Not too many gadgets in the 2007 model.

The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Nice ride, I test drove a similar M5. It was real nice but my coin purse won't part with the $ at the moment. And yes it was fun to drive.
    I think that might depend on the model. The one I posted was the competition version of the M5. I think it would be fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Agree with John, I followed one down a highway yesterday and after first being perplexed by what I thought was some boy racers wet dream , I worked out what it was . From the back quarter , not so good.
    ( man I hate it when I disagree with Lew, ...)
    It's a difficult thing for an adult to look at. Over here it would be called a rice rocket if a teenager had put it together from a catalog of parts. But as John said, the portions dictated by aero serve a purpose. Type R's are traditionally coveted, sort of cult mobiles. Which I suppose you could say of STIs as well. This is everything Honda knows how to offer at this price. I would have to look at the Golf R, the Honda and the new Subaru in our marketplace. Europe has other possibilities, maybe NZ and Oz too. Here that's the lineup unless I include the Focus RS which is not for me but might be for somebody else. Of them, the Honda seems to have the most exhilarating driver's credentials maybe apart from the Ford. For day to day, I'd consider the Golf a leading contender if I was looking for something restrained but highly capable, comfy enough, practical and well supported in the aftermarket.

But I'd probably buy the Honda despite the wretched appearances. Of them all, it's the one that is most likely to be looked back at in future years, I think. I fully understand the benefits of AWD and maybe if there are two cars one of them should be that. But I find FWD with winter shoes works fine for me since I try to avoid driving in snow or ice anyway and the biggest problems I've always had are going downhill which is half of crossing a pass. So I'd have snow shoes and FWD over all season tires and AWD. Also, I'm used to being stared at probably because of the ties I wear.

I'm sure any one of these is a hoot. No bad choices. My wife would probably buy the cheapest one.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-17-2018 at 02:39 PM.

2018 is AWD. You can turn that off. But it's $120K. weighs two tons and there are other things you might have to say about it with the passage of time. They should make it in an estate. That would be something. It'll still weigh two tons. AWD is handy in Seattle, but you still have to go downhill and that means snow tires whatever you drive.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-17-2018 at 04:39 PM.

We looked at BMW so called comparables when we bought the Audi S-5. Not even close.

That R looks pretty intriguing - but doubt I can find one for a closer look. And yeah - AWD is nice, but it doesn't stop you any better than FWD. I'm more interested in stopping, these days, than going.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

It's a difficult thing for an adult to look at. Over here it would be called a rice rocket if a teenager had put it together from a catalog of parts. But as John said, the portions dictated by aero serve a purpose. Type R's are traditionally coveted, sort of cult mobiles. Which I suppose you could say of STIs as well. This is everything Honda knows how to offer at this price. I would have to look at the Golf R, the Honda and the new Subaru in our marketplace. Europe has other possibilities, maybe NZ and Oz too. Here that's the lineup unless I include the Focus RS which is not for me but might be for somebody else. Of them, the Honda seems to have the most exhilarating driver's credentials maybe apart from the Ford. For day to day, I'd consider the Golf a leading contender if I was looking for something restrained but highly capable, comfy enough, practical and well supported in the aftermarket.

But I'd probably buy the Honda despite the wretched appearances. Of them all, it's the one that is most likely to be looked back at in future years, I think. I fully understand the benefits of AWD and maybe if there are two cars one of them should be that. But I find FWD with winter shoes works fine for me since I try to avoid driving in snow or ice anyway and the biggest problems I've always had are going downhill which is half of crossing a pass. So I'd have snow shoes and FWD over all season tires and AWD. Also, I'm used to being stared at probably because of the ties I wear.

I'm sure any one of these is a hoot. No bad choices. My wife would probably buy the cheapest one.
    I'd never driven my son's Audi S3 until he moved to the USA to live a couple of years back (silly lad). It was somewhat worked over... which he discovered made it incredibly difficult to work on when he had to replace the clutch.... larger bore exhaust, etc having reduced work clearances.

As for driving it. Holy crap..... it WENT. A surgeon bought it. Tried to beat me down on the advertised price. I said "let's drive it, then talk". He got stuck into it... big grin on his face. Offered me a thousand less than advertised. I said "I think it's worth the full price.... don't you". "Yep". Easiest sale ever.

The current model RS3 has some serious grunt. I wouldn't say no.

Meanwhile.... I've got a couple of 2006 model German hatches in the driveway. I've been driving a Golf as my town car, but took the BMW 120i for a bit of a drive through some twisties yesterday. Neither of these is 4WD (like my son's Audi was)... but both are nice to drive.... particularly the Bimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    We looked at BMW so called comparables when we bought the Audi S-5. Not even close.
    The M5 then wasn't 4WD. I'd still have taken it over an S5

The 1 series Beamer with the six must be blast of a machine. I don't like the looks much but I bet its a real drivers car.
    Lew is right about the subie driving experience , its not very communicative from my experience.... outback and my GT, quite a boring if peppy town car. But when the weather goes bad it just excels, when it hits the fan it really is something. Which is why I still have it 5 or 6 years later.

Meanwhile.... I've got a couple of 2006 model German hatches in the driveway. I've been driving a Golf as my town car, but took the BMW 120i for a bit of a drive through some twisties yesterday. Neither of these is 4WD (like my son's Audi was)... but both are nice to drive.... particularly the Bimmer.
    I like my GTI fine. It's bee a good car actually. At some point I'll want to replace it and may go through the same exercise we're talking about here. I haven't driven one but the RS3 looks fantastic to me. As you know I've been less interested in the new BMWs pretty much apart from the M2. There's anew one coming and it is supposed to have a proper M motor. That could be a terrific car. A new M5 has no appeal for me. Too much car for me in so many ways at this point. For people who want a big, luxurious car that will turn the quarter in low 11s, the reports are it's the schniz. But I've heard that before. BMW doesn't have much for me right now, much as I admire the company's engineering prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The 1 series Beamer with the six must be blast of a machine. I don't like the looks much but I bet its a real drivers car.
    Lew is right about the subie driving experience , its not very communicative from my experience.... outback and my GT, quite a boring if peppy town car. But when the weather goes bad it just excels, when it hits the fan it really is something. Which is why I still have it 5 or 6 years later.
    Yup. I try to drive the Subie most days, for just that reason - I'm a 'nicer driver', and I don't attract unwanted attention, relative to the Bimmer. Lew should take that in to consideration.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....