Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear what have i done!!

Default Oh dear what have i done!!

Hi All,

So two weeks ago i bit the bullet and bought a project, she is a 26ft sloop built in Holland. I have been in contact with the builders who inform me that she is one of 4 vessels of the "Jupiter" class (two of which are currently in their marina in Kampen). She is Hull 89 and was built in 1958.

I have zero boat building experience but i'm not totally inept, i manage buildings for a living and work on cars in my spare time. In no way are they the same things of course.

I will rely heavily on advice and criticism from you guys.

Anyway, without further adieu.

G.A. Kroes.jpg

Default Re: Oh dear what have i done!!

WOW, nice!!
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Ok,...... she is pretty (rather follboatish, but looks like s good bit more space below), a manageable size, and lapstrake. I see no problems here.

welcome, and of course we need a lot more pictures.

So you are ready to roll your sleeves up for a good while?

Your task, if you choose to accept it, is to sift through the 'advice and criticism' here and come out unscathed with a beautiful boat. You already have the beautiful boat that you will restore.

As nedL says, more pictures please.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

It would be nice to see more pix. I can't tell if she's lapstrake or just sanded and scraped a bit carvel.

Anyway, have you had a survey?

Do you have any wild dreams of sailing this year?

Do you know when she was last in the water?

Pretty boat , I don't know anything about them . For some reason the words ' Folkboat' and 'Holman and Pye' sprang to mind as I looked at her, too big for a folkboat of course.
    Did you get a survey? She's going to leak at the keel and garboard by that photo.
    And being what we are , we want to know about the GTO as well. Ferrari, Mitsubishi , Pontiac or Vauxhall.

First thing is to get that jib off. I'm sure you know; lapstrake translates to clinker. You're in one of the best places in the world to work on a boat.

Well, you've got to start somewhere. This is going to be a great adventure.
    -Dave

I like the lines...beautiful boat!

WgMkr

Gorgeous boat! Looking forward to more pics!

Good looking boat. The world needs more people saving old boats, and this one looks worth it. I wish you a great experience.

Lets see the bilge.

Wonderful boat from a famous yard https://kroesbootbouwers.nl/ . They know how to build boats like that

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Pretty boat , I don't know anything about them . For some reason the words ' Folkboat' and 'Holman and Pye' sprang to mind as I looked at her, too big for a folkboat of course.
    Did you get a survey? She's going to leak at the keel and garboard by that photo.
    And being what we are , we want to know about the GTO as well. Ferrari, Mitsubishi , Pontiac or Vauxhall.
    Hi John, Folkboat was my first thought too. After a chat with the builder he informed me that she was designed just before the Folkboats.

No no survey yet, I am heading down with my son on Saturday to remove the rubbish inside and clean her up a bit.

As for GTO. It’s Pontiac, my dream car is a 66 GTO. Though my time in Australia made me fall heavily for the Falcon GTHO.

Thank you all for your kind words. I’m just at work at the moment so I’ll try to be brief but concise.

Bilge is is full of oily water which Is the result of a hole in the deck at the stern by the tiller. By hole I mean drive your car through it with a roof rack and towing a horse box.

Deck Is marine ply which was glassed and painted.

Engine is gone along with the shaft but we are a long way off an engine yet.

I was told by the yard that she's been on the Hard for about 3 years. Obviously not ideal but not a deal breaker.

From inside the wood looks good but there is guaranteed to be some hidden nasties. At best replacement of a few planks, at worst.... well you know.

I will I’ll get pictures up later as it’s not letting me load from the iPad.

And finally no ambitions to sail her this year. I’m hopeful for next year though �� haha
    Last edited by DougGTO; 05-16-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Nice pre-folkboat boat. Seems like all that bother running competitions and merging designs to finally come up with the folkboat was not really needed if your boat really predates the folkboat design.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Nice pre-folkboat boat. Seems like all that bother running competitions and merging designs to finally come up with the folkboat was not really needed if your boat really predates the folkboat design.
    I must admit i was convinced it was a folk boat, i emailed the builder (stroke of luck them still existing) and they said the designer Gait Kroes (also name of the boat builder) designed this particular class which he calls "Jupiter" during the war. The first vessel built was "Jupiter" in 1948 i think he said and the next two boats Hull 89 (Mine) and Hull 90 "Hera" were built in 1958 with one more boat being built sometime in the 1960's.

The builder says that she was longer, wider, and taller than a folkboat.

I should add that the owner of the yard now Ronald said that apparently the drawings for the class were published during the war. Who knows, it's all part of the research fun.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    too big for a folkboat of course.
    Most folkboats are 26 ft and 220 cm vide. Some slightly larger. This I can get for free looking at our version of Craigslist, rig included. Too bad this and most folkboats are in the southern part of Norway 2000 km from where I live but one day I will have one!

Talk about jumpin' right in....God bless you.

Welcome to the club of woodenboat idiots. By that I mean the few of us who have started a project, either build or restoration, that was likely a bit (lot?) more than we can chew. Luckily, there are also a few folks who are not rank amateurs on the forum, who have been posting a long time. The trick is to weed through the conflicting advice that occurs at times and figure out what best fits your current problem
    And to weed out the advice that comes from your fellow woodenboat idiots who do not realize their amateur status and try to be too authorative at times. But those folks are thankfully a small subset of us WBIs.

A beautiful boat with some work to be done.
    On the Kroes website there's a separate section of the Jupiter design with some pictures of the original first built.
    Jupiter won a lot of races in those days especially in a bit of rougher weather.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    First thing is to get that jib off. I'm sure you know; lapstrake translates to clinker. You're in one of the best places in the world to work on a boat.
    Yes, I agree that jib will beat itself and the boat until it is a tangled up shredded mess if not attended to. That roller fuller jib is nice to have though.
    Just save it until the boat is finished.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Pics as promised.

20180512_142623.jpg20180512_141632.jpg20180512_142119.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a Folkboat I saw in Bergen. Very friendly folks.

IMG_0333.jpg
    “Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily" Johann Von Schiller

Doug, I hope the fresh water through the deck hasn't done too much damage in the transom area. You've got a job o'work ahead of ya, but WOW what a starting point!

surely this one is worth the cost of shipping it north ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Most folkboats are 26 ft and 220 cm vide. Some slightly larger. This I can get for free looking at our version of Craigslist, rig included. Too bad this and most folkboats are in the southern part of Norway 2000 km from where I live but one day I will have one!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Doug, I hope the fresh water through the deck hasn't done too much damage in the transom area. You've got a job o'work ahead of ya, but WOW what a starting point!
    Thank you Hugh, she surely is a beauty. I am going down on Saturday to clean her up and do some more indepth investigating. Im expecting the worst but hoping for the best. Hell she's nothing compared to Leo's Tally Ho project.

Unless I am completely blind, I don't see any serious problems in your pics except for the hole in the deck... which doesn't look like a big deal. Is there anything more needed than re finishing paint and bright work?

Here is the original drawing of "Jupiter" the first in the class.

Scan_20160118_215759-838x1024.jpg

Unless I am completely blind, I don't see any serious problems in your pics except for the hole in the deck... which doesn't look like a big deal. Is there anything more needed than re finishing paint and bright work?
    Funny!

Wow, that is indeed a proper boat! The sheer is sweet and everything is in balance to the eye! You have ,indeed, aquired a rare gem!
    My only regret is that I am not there to lend a hand.
    Jay

Hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha............ we can all be optimistic.

I've restored/reworked a couple of boats that had plywood decks and cabin tops that looked an awful lot like that when I started. Bad news was that rot extended inside the ply in all directions - especially where anything penetrated the deck. Good news is that it's very quick and easy to rip it off and replace it with new ply. If anything seems the least bit dodgy with the decks and cabin top, don't be shy. Just rip it all off. If that hole in the deck is the biggest issue, you're a very lucky boat owner!
    -Dave

Thank you all.

I'm under no illusion that she needs considerably more than the proverbial "spit and polish" but she seems a good foundation to work from.

I will update tomorrow evening with more detailed pictures of her interior and the planking.

Out of pure interest what motor would a European vessel built in 1958 run?

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I've restored/reworked a couple of boats that had plywood decks and cabin tops that looked an awful lot like that when I started. Bad news was that rot extended inside the ply in all directions - especially where anything penetrated the deck. Good news is that it's very quick and easy to rip it off and replace it with new ply. If anything seems the least bit dodgy with the decks and cabin top, don't be shy. Just rip it all off. If that hole in the deck is the biggest issue, you're a very lucky boat owner!
    Thank you Dave. I have a feeling most of if not all of the deck will be replaced. I would like to get away with just patching but im not really a fan of the fiberglass so im thinking of replacing it completely.