Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh dear what have i done!!

Default Re: Oh dear what have i done!!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGTO View Post
    Thank you all.

I'm under no illusion that she needs considerably more than the proverbial "spit and polish" but she seems a good foundation to work from.

I will update tomorrow evening with more detailed pictures of her interior and the planking.

Out of pure interest what motor would a European vessel built in 1958 run?
    Surely a marinised GTO engine would be best...

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Surely a marinised GTO engine would be best...
    Nah, i checked the mounts. Best i can do is an inline 4 haha

Here in the states a typical engine would have bee a “Universal Atomic 2”, or a “Palmer PW27”. The Palmer might be a bit small. I suppose you might be able to fit an “Atomic four”, but that may be a bit large. Europe had a small inboard called a “Vire”, and there were “Stuart Turners”.
    Last edited by nedL; 05-18-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Thank you nedL. i had completely forgotten about Turners for some reason. They were only down the road from where i am at the moment as well.

I think a turner would be a neat little engine for her.

If you are into engine tinkering as well, there is a pile of Stuart Turner parts on eBay now for 149 pounds, probably enough there to build a running engine, with a lifetime of spares.
    If it were 1500 miles closer I might go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    If you are into engine tinkering as well, there is a pile of Stuart Turner parts on eBay now for 149 pounds, probably enough there to build a running engine, with a lifetime of spares.
    If it were 1500 miles closer I might go for it.

If you're in N.E. Connecticut you're not a million miles from my family in Hingham, MA. Anyone needs anything sent over from here in the UK. Happy to help.

I'm going to take a look at ebay now though. A nice little Turner P66 Would be great in her.

If you do replace it, consider a traditional deck in lue of using plywood or you will get a repeat performance. Tongue and groove cedar will last as long as the rest of the boat. It is easier to work with than plywood, looks good from the underside and can be glassed over, covered with canvas or used as a sub-deck for a planked deck.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by DougGTO View Post
    If you're in N.E. Connecticut you're not a million miles from my family in Hingham, MA. Anyone needs anything sent over from here in the UK. Happy to help.

I'm going to take a look at ebay now though. A nice little Turner P66 Would be great in her.

Ahh, .... Thank you. Hingham is a bit less than two hours from me. I will keep that in mind.

if you don't mind, let me know what you think of that pile of Stuart Turner parts. I love tinkering with old engines, but am not familiar with Stuart Turners.

Is there a site for these boats? I have done a search but came up with nada!
    Jay

Lombardini/Kohler makes a nice little 11hp diesel. It weighs in at 180 lbs. Might be a bit more weight than you would want. But, it is a very nice engine.
    Jay
    http://www.lombardinimarine.it/en/product/ldw-502-m/
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-18-2018 at 01:01 PM.

I love the look of Folkboats and that looks pretty darn close. Congrats on the boat. Good luck in getting her sailing again.

Thank you all for your kind words.

I went to see her at tge yard yesterday to do a proper assessment and here Is what my amateur self noted.

1) The supports below the ply/glass deck are generally good but about a quarter of the "support joists" (for the lack of a better word) are rotten so will replace the deck entirely.

2) There is no shortage of shakes in both the hull and deck house. Though most dont look like they will be too much of an issue to rectify.

3) The mahogany planking looks really good with no obvious signs of rot. One item of note is a plank does have a large split. Though it is above the waterline it will still need replacing.

4) Not really happy with about a 1/4 of the S shaped oak ribs.

5) Odd mix of copper rivets and modern fixings.

6) mast is in really good condition but the boom looks a lot more weathered.

7) bilge is full of water.

Anyway thats just a preliminary assessment. Im sure theres a lot more nasties hidden away. However that hasnt stemmed my excitement. I reached out to the dutch owners of her Sister HERA yesterday so hoping to hear back from them.

Im not sure if i mentioned that her original name was ADOLFINA CORNELIA. Seeing as there is no paperwork with her whatsoever im thinking of going back to her given name.
    Last edited by DougGTO; 05-20-2018 at 09:49 AM.

As something to sink my teeth into over the week i decided to bring the Tiller home and have a look at smartening it up. This is the initial stages.

Attachment 16277AF9307B7-D927-4CA5-976A-E4C9ECFB3EBE.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your tiller project is like a man I know. He once asked to how to eat an elephant. The answer was: One bite at a time!
    Wishing you good fortune.
    Jay