Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Korea cancels

Default North Korea cancels

So are trumps choices to cancel exercises, or cancel summit? so far they’ve cancelled talks with S Korea. Their making noises about the summit with the “art of the deal”. Trump could end up with nothing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-reportedly-cancels-high-level-talks-south-n874396
    Last edited by CK 17; 05-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Re: North Korea cancels

Serendippity, incompetence, or actual planning?

Well I, for one, am shocked! Shocked, I tell you! Shocked and dismayed!
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Clearly, if Trump gets the credit for brokering the talks then it's all his fault if they don't happen.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Serendippity, incompetence, or actual planning?
    "Never attribute to serendipity what can be explained by mere incompetence."
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Clearly, if Trump gets the credit for brokering the talks then it's all his fault if they don't happen.
    That would put him on even ground with every president who has dealt with North Korea. Let's face it, past presidents allowed NK to get nukes, so short of a NK attack somewhere, the only direction for Trump is up.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

By many reports N Korea literally blew its nuclear test facility into a toxic waste dump of epic proportions. Seems like a good time to wrap up the program. donnie two scoops takes a bow... reds go wild.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

We know how this is going to end.

</North Korea script>
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Kim already counts the victory and needs not to go further.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Kim probably thought again about what happened to Sadam, who said he he had WMD but didn't.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    That would put him on even ground with every president who has dealt with North Korea. Let's face it, past presidents allowed NK to get nukes, so short of a NK attack somewhere, the only direction for Trump is up.
    Not unexpected. As far as "up"; yes, Trump is winning in terms of being the POTUS with the most room to go "up". . . It would be nice if he did so.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    After a couple years of incinerating NK in the early 1950s the USA had to accept they were not going to get the North Korea they wanted and settled for containment with little real power to control what went on within its borders, including a missile program.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Kim probably thought again about what happened to Sadam, who said he he had WMD but didn't.
    And right after that he probably thought about John Bolton...

"On May 28, 2008, at the Hay Festival of Literature & Arts in Hay-on-Wye, Wales, the British activist George Monbiot attempted to make a citizen's arrest of Bolton, for his role as an architect of the Iraq War. The attempt was unsuccessful, and Monbiot was ejected by security personnel.[102]
    In June 2011, Bolton dismissed Palestinian claims to statehood as a "ploy".[103]
    In July 2013, Bolton was identified as a key member of Groundswell, a secretive coalition of right wing activists and journalists attempting to make political change behind the scenes through lobbying of high-level contacts.[104]"
    (wiki, italics mine)

There goes the Nobel. Melania had a stunning outfit all picked out, too.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Did anyone ever believe that North Korea was doing anything other than setting up Trump?

Seriously!?

The self-aggrandizing posing for a Nobel Peace Prize was just icing on the Kim Jong-Un cake.

Next up: North Korea extorts America in return for talks. Trump insists he can get the bigliest most beautiful agreement and capitulates, and has Twitter fit about why his deal is good and Obama's Iran deal is bad. Sick hilarity ensues.

This the lesson Bush gave to the world, even if you were once a "friend" of America, be afraid and be armed to the hilt.
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Schadenfreude aside, this is bad for the NK people.
    Can't help think the Confucian hierarchy, on who Kim depends for power, saw a personal net loss on the horizon and weighted in.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

“Past presidents ALLOWED NK to get nukes....”. Spoken like a true American.

Any odds on Trump playing right into the NK hand and calling a halt to the military exercises and scratching the call to de-nuclear-ise?
    Give em what they want and get the Nobel prize (my God what a joke). Sell out America and its allies so you can one-up Obama. Impossible?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Any odds on Trump playing right into the NK hand and calling a halt to the military exercises and scratching the call to de-nuclear-ise?
    I think the former would be a good move, the latter not likely.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

^The nukes seems to be THE issue now; https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.efe55d422d35

If thats what they want i reckon the likelihood has just increased.

This the lesson Bush gave to the world, even if you were once a "friend" of America, be afraid and be armed to the hilt.
    Not that Pakistani leaders of the last 40 years or so have shrewdly played the 'friend' of America game, even as the climate in that country is definitely moving in the direction of freezing what little remains of it.

Hadn´t the Partition taken place, the people of Pakistan would now be thriving under a leadership greatly enhanced by the quality of its members.

Trump reminds me of the joke about the blonde that went to the hairdressers. She was wearing earphones and told the hairdresser to cut around them, anyway she fell asleep in the chair and the hairdresser was finding the earphones a pain so he removed them. Finished the job and tried to wake the blonde but she had died.
    The hairdresser put the earphones on and listened...breathe in, breathe out.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I'm watching Gruen, and with a background in advertising it sometimes grates. But it does reinforce my opinion about the old advertising saw, 'You can never underestimate the stupidity of the masses'.

Re NK: Kimmy may well be under pressure from all those generals he lines up behind those breastplates of medals. Any sniff of an arrangement would see them looking over their shoulders for stray artillery pieces pointed their way. And Kimmy would be in more danger than any of them.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-16-2018 at 06:02 AM.

What Kim said was unilateral dissarmament.

Kim wants the USA out of Korea. He'll give up nukes if all sides do, the USA leaves Korea and sanctions are lifted. That's the deal.

Its not nukes for sanctions. Its all nukes and USA out. You get your boys home, cut military costs out there and don't hopefully have a nuclear NK.

Would the American public be happy with that? I think the world should take it. The West has bigger fish to fry.

I wonder how long it would take for that situation to change on the peninsula.

If talks with the US are cancelled that means Trump can go answer a few questions for the Mueller probe; the Casa Blanca had said that he couldn't possibly sit down for the interrogation until he had finished the NK business. Game on.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

I think this means that some people in the North Korean government paid attention to what some unwise people in the Trumpery said on US television about "doing a Libya-type deal".

That's exactly the deal that Kim will not do.

Gaddafi did away with his WMD and is dead.

Saddam threw away his WMD and is dead

Kim Jong Un has nuclear weapons and is alive...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Bolton didn't help by saying the US was using the Libyan Template. You all know what happened to the leader of Libya?Kim does!

I reckon we are in the situation where neither party actually wants a result, but are prolonging it to milk it of it's every propaganda possibility.
    It's also possible that Trump and Boulton are on different paths in this. Boulton likely believes that the US could force NK to demilitarise, and that is doubtful as they would be giving up the bargaining power that got them this far.

The elephants in the room are the possibility that NK could hit the US with a nuke, and that SK may no longer believe that they have the guaranteed backing of the US, and that Donald would throw that away for a sniff at a Nobel.

and Kim knows the likely outcome of denuclearisation, he knows what happened to Gaddafi and Sadam.
    Grateful Dead

Trumps used to dealing with people like himself. Driven by an insane love of money. Why he has no clue about someone like McCain nearly dying rather than sign a piece of paper. His needs are so apparent. Ego....riches. He and Kim may putz around helping each other to profile for their great unwashed but he won’t bully the Iranians.

can't we let this fake news thread title sink to the bottom already?

I agree with Alan. This looks really bad for his team. Can’t we please just stop talking about it? Maybe then it will go away and we can pretend everything is great again.

and Kim knows the likely outcome of denuclearisation, he knows what happened to Gaddafi and Sadam.
    The US has never directly attacked a country that has the bomb. This is why Iran was so keen to have it...it’s called deterrent.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.