Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Crab pickers wanted - Hoopers Island, MD

Default Re: Crab pickers wanted - Hoopers Island, MD

THis morning I was in a town of 4,000 people that has a large influx of tourists every summer (as in several million). 90% of the businesses in town are seasonal and tourist oriented. The bulk of the year round population works in a major biological research lab just outside town. The town simply does not have the work force for the many seasonal businesses. Those businesses include more than 40 hotels and something like 90 restaurants. The timing of the "season" makes hiring school kids problematic since they disappear to go back to school at the height of the season. Consequently the town relies on migrant workers to fill the seasonal jobs. Most of the jobs pay well by local standards, but they only last about 4 months. On top of that the fact that the area is a tourist mecca means that there is little or no reasonably priced housing available except that provided by employers to full season workers.

Incidentally we have about 3-4% unemployment and there are ZERO people standing at the entrance to Home Depot looking for work.
    Last edited by Todd D; 05-16-2018 at 03:28 PM.

It doesn't matter, Todd. The locals are lazy, the business owners are greedy, and the conditions for the seasonal workers is straight out of a Dickens novel. People from thousands of miles away know this, why don't you? <rolleyes>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    ^ The seasonal laborers and their circumstances here in the lobster-packing business in SW Nova are so, so much different than your experience Ted. But I won't argue with you any longer; it seems futile. You won't believe it coming from me, as your experience from 5,000 miles away trumps my local knowledge. I are stoopit, U R not...
    Dont be that way. Invite this blue leaning city slicker over for a few weeks next summer. I would enjoy the visit. I might even get callouses on my hands trying to earn my stay and getting my recreational boating, fishing and sight seeing in.

do you have a slip or a mooring available for me if I sail over?
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Hold on old, white, fat dudes.. this isn't 1985.

If one works for 30 an hour for 12 weeks at 8 hours a day that is $14,000 before taxes. Then 14k for rest of year is 28,000 Can you live on 28,000 a year before taxes with no medical, dental, have a car with insurance, and make rent? It will be close... won't it.
    remember the op we are talking about were legal guest workers. I'm sure $14,000 goes a long way back in their Mexican village. I sure it will be sorely missed.
    Last edited by SKIP KILPATRICK; 05-16-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    remember the op we are talking about were legal guest workers. I'm sure $14,000 goes a long way back in their Mexican village. I sure it will be sorely wished.
    no doubt. We both can only begin to imagine the ramifactions that this may cause. illict activity and creative fraud will follow just for starts. and it is almost too late if things changed today to make it possible for workers to come.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

They don't live in Guatemala either. They live in the shadows outside our major cities. Just go ask them right at the entrance or parking lot of every Home Depot waiting for day labor.
    Illegal aliens don't get HB-1 visas.

These crab pickers live in Mexico.

They have been getting HB-1 visas every year to go pick crabs, make $30/hr, and return to Mexico where, yes, $28K US is likely quite a bit more than most.

Your thinking on this is FUBAR.
    Rattling the teacups.

Are you planning to come up here via the Canal, Ted, or going full-hairy-chest and sailing the Horn?

Are you planning to come up here via the Canal, Ted, or going full-hairy-chest and sailing the Horn?
    I was daydreaming of a trailer to bring the boat across the country and launching it in Maine... then have a crew of formites serve a crew!

new thread time!

Hell the artic will be ice free this Summer take the fabled northwest passage..... err... if your going the other direction is it the Northeast passage?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

There are plenty of places to moor your boat, but don't be expecting the chi-chi yot clubs of the Bay area. You may raft up with a lobsterboat. And we have tides. Boy, do we have tides.

reading about your stuff and life over the years.. I know you have suckled on this great labor sow as well. It may be the reason why you feel so prosperous and can't imagine another hard reality of crappy seasonal work. Keep projecting if it makes you feel better.
    WTF? I worked for many years as a mechanic. Worked 80 hour weeks in Arkansas on chicken $*** hauling trucks to pay the rent. I've logged (now there's a thankless job), worked in a sawmill, driven a garbage truck, raised several truck gardens for the income (minimal), driven a schoolbus (another thankless job), pumped septic tanks (that one you get thanked for), worked as a mover. I could go on, but this very blue person living in a very blue state also gets that there are economic realities.

I've never been on welfare & collected unemployment for 2 weeks until I realized it was easier to get a job. Love to live in your ivory tower though.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    WTF? I worked for many years as a mechanic. Worked 80 hour weeks in Arkansas on chicken $*** hauling trucks to pay the rent. I've logged (now there's a thankless job), worked in a sawmill, driven a garbage truck, raised several truck gardens for the income (minimal), driven a schoolbus (another thankless job), pumped septic tanks (that one you get thanked for), worked as a mover. I could go on, but this very blue person living in a very blue state also gets that there are economic realities.

I've never been on welfare & collected unemployment for 2 weeks until I realized it was easier to get a job. Love to live in your ivory tower though.
    I still work two jobs still working to get free. I'll let you roll wit me if you'd like.

Kevin...Blue Crab meat for bait?? What could you possibly hope to catch as tasty as the bait?
    Donn, pretty much anything you want to catch inshore eats blue crab. But for weakfish, and for targeting big fluke, a shedder is the bomb!

" full hairy chest" LOL

I am stealing that, Michael.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Be my guest, Kevin, and use it in good health.

By-the-by, I spoke on the phone yesterday with a guy who said he was from the east end of Long Island, and has bought an old wooden Cape Island fishing boat originally built up here. A twenty-six-footer that he wants to put a ginormous 350-hp outboard on, and use for pleasure fishing. He mentioned stripers. So if you run into a guy named Geezer with an over-powered outboard Cape Islander, tell him I said, "hi".

I will keep an eye and an ear out for him.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I still need to earn my gold horn hoop. The chest hair has always been lacking much to the delight of the odd acting purser.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I will keep an eye and an ear out for him.

Kevin
    I only need an ear for that
    Will

I have the turtle shell and twin bluebirds, but never got the gold earring. Probably never will, at this stage of my life. Would have liked to, tho'...

I meant that I would listen for him, or references to him, on the radio. Fishermen around here are chatty on the VHF.

K

I was daydreaming of a trailer to bring the boat across the country and launching it in Maine... then have a crew of formites serve a crew!

new thread time!
    I can cook!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Donn, pretty much anything you want to catch inshore eats blue crab. But for weakfish, and for targeting big fluke, a shedder is the bomb!
    I wouldn't trade 6oz of Blue Crab meat for 10# of Weakie fillets. Fluke, however, is another story, but I've never caught one on picked crab, and I don't pick shedders.

Garret...I walked 10 miles each way, to school and back, and it was uphill both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    I wouldn't trade 6oz of Blue Crab meat for 10# of Weakie fillets. Fluke, however, is another story, but I've never caught one on picked crab, and I don't pick shedders.

Garret...I walked 10 miles each way, to school and back, and it was uphill both ways.
    You forgot the 3 ft. of snow!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green