Thread: Lumber Yard Super Sport Skiff.

Default Lumber Yard Super Sport Skiff.

Well guys if you saw my last thread you might have seen my plan following failure. What happen is I made the boat stem to a 51 degree angle instead of what was called for. I did this on accident and thought my boat was firewood when I saw the bow rise up when the halfs came together. Instead of starting all over I shaved the bottom of the boat on the tip of the bow until it came back down at a nice slope. then I had to cut off 9 inches on the beam to account for the sharp angle of the stem. I cut off about a good 3.5 inches off the bottom of the bow which for those of you who bought the plans or made the LYSS, this is beyond the measurement that Walt gives you.

Introducing the narrower Lumber Yard Super Sport Skiff, or the LYSSS. 20180514_195214.jpg

Default Re: Lumber Yard Super Sport Skiff.

Well done, I actually bought wood and progressed so far as cutting the stem for a 16 LYS myself last week. And I deviated already, the stem is "notched" if you will as opposed to just a xx deg vee. I should know by the weekend if it works out.

Like this, a la Louis Salzeddie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HTJ53; 05-15-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Wow keep me updated that notched stem would be very neat. I didn't realize at the time how much the stem deg played into affect. Some people said I must have flipped the boat around by accident. No... Just off 10+ deg on the steam.. haha. I'm going to be putting the bottom on sometime this week. First I have to plane down the chines until they are level. I didn't use the chine bevel because I thought it would be easier to keep them raised and bring them down to the plywood later with the electric hand planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Italiansolid View Post
    I thought it would be easier to keep them raised and bring them down to the plywood later with the electric hand planer.
    Yes sir...and did you cut the top of them down to 10 degrees? Really helps to keep the standing water off.

Pardon the darkish night time pic - my actual stem
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HTJ53 View Post
    Pardon the darkish night time pic - my actual stem
    Looks great! I'm excited to see how it comes together.
    Boat Build Project - Tango Skiff 17 Stitch and Glue Motorboat

No but after I get it flipped it might be a good idea to do that. Btw your stem looks really good.