Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Ceremony at embassy; violence nearby

Default Re: Ceremony at embassy; violence nearby

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Trump hate and anti semitism , anti women all rolled into one hate post..

Pathetic.
    It is possible to be critical of Israel and not be antisemitic, you do realise that don't you?
    Trump hate, yeah well guilty on that one. He just killed over 40 Palestinians and didn't even need a gun.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The Hamas leader bragged that 50 of the 62 killed were Hamas soldiers, otherwise known as terrorists. You know, those nice guys who use women and children as shields.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    The Hamas leader bragged that 50 of the 62 killed were Hamas soldiers, otherwise known as terrorists. You know, those nice guys who use women and children as shields.
    Yeah, and the Israeli snipers identified them by the big orange "I am a terrorist" slogans on their shirts, although they had some difficulty recognising the Canadian doctor, who was clearly marked as a doctor

Dr. Loubani, what were you doing just before you were shot?
    I was away from the protest scene in a relative lull. There was no smoke or tear gas. There had been lots of that earlier in the day.
    I was with my medical team of first responders. They were mostly paramedics.

Loubani says he was wearing clothing clearly marking him as medical staff when he was shot by Israeli forces.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...ctor-1.4663689
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

You do realize, don't you, that if you describe oppressed freedom fighters trying to win their nationhood out from under an oppressive foreign regime by force as 'terrorists', then by that definition George Washington and the Continental Army were terrorists, right?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    You do realize, don't you, that if you describe oppressed freedom fighters trying to win their nationhood out from under an oppressive foreign regime by force as 'terrorists', then by that definition George Washington and the Continental Army were terrorists, right?
    I don’t see a correlation between the colonials and Hamas. Do you? Seriously?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

I can't understand that you don’t see a correlation between the colonials and Hamas. Don't you? Seriously?

But then, I recall a group here years ago - mostly conservatives - who were adamant that South African apartheid was reasonable and that Nelson Mandela and the ANC were terrorists.

Grandstanding for the evangelicals and Jared's kin and allies, he's done another completely unnecessary provocation that he knows his sycophants will always enjoy. They love a strongman who's a pussy when it comes to personal courage. The Mussolini analogy is the best fit, always has been.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Right to be governed by consent, right of rebellion to establish such a government.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

I can't understand that you don’t see a correlation between the colonials and Hamas. Don't you? Seriously?

But then, I recall a group here years ago - mostly conservatives - who were adamant that South African apartheid was reasonable and that Nelson Mandela and the ANC were terrorists.
    No, i don’t. If the colonials were seeking to remove Englishmen, or England, from the earth? Yes.

Don't worry, mdh; I fully expected you to deny any similarities. The American Exceptionalism is strong in you.

Trump likes to poke at hornet's nests. The upshot is that America can no longer be a broker in the region. That's done. Now somebody else will have to manage the plot. It's hard to see how they could do much worse, but the option for things we don't want to see happen just got more likely. This is just another in a series of blunders and not the most important one either, but it's emblematic of the kind of idiocy that we are seeing more routinely. Nobody needed us to move our embassy. Nothing positive was accomplished, and you might say that even if nothing bad happens, we just saddled ourselves with more expense making an entirely pointless embassy move. But we already can see that we've created a furor with much ado about nothing.

Can anybody please explain how our situation is improved by this waste of lives, money and political capital?
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-17-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Below is a cut and paste from an email i received this morning from:

We cannot stay silent.The violence we have witnessed in Gaza is unacceptable and inhuman.

55 people were killed and 2271 wounded in Monday’s violence*.

With your help, this disproportionate violence will not go unnoticed.

In one of the hospitals where we are working, the chaotic situation is like what we’d see in a warzone.On Monday alone, our teams performed more than 30 surgeries; sometimes on two or three patients in the same operating theatre, and even in the corridors.

* Gaza health authorities estimate 55 were killed and 2271 wounded on Monday 14 May. Between March 30 and May 10, MSF clinics admitted almost 781 trauma victims.

“The exit wounds are fist-size. Bone is pulverised into dust. This is the reality for half of the injured patients received in my organisation’s clinics since the launch of the Great Return March in Gaza.” – Jason Cone, Executive Director of MSF in the United States

This bloodbath is the continuation of the Israeli army’s policy during the last seven weeks: shooting with live ammunition at demonstrators on the assumption that anyone approaching the separation fence is a legitimate target. Our teams have received more than 800 patients with gunshot wwounds sinceSunday 1st of April. Most of the wounded will be condemned to suffer lifelong injuries.

We can’t let these individuals be ignored or forgotten.
    SHARE THIS STORY:
    [text enlarged for emphasis by me]
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Below is a cut and paste from an email i received this morning from:

We cannot stay silent.The violence we have witnessed in Gaza is unacceptable and inhuman.

55 people were killed and 2271 wounded in Monday’s violence*.

With your help, this disproportionate violence will not go unnoticed.

In one of the hospitals where we are working, the chaotic situation is like what we’d see in a warzone.On Monday alone, our teams performed more than 30 surgeries; sometimes on two or three patients in the same operating theatre, and even in the corridors.

* Gaza health authorities estimate 55 were killed and 2271 wounded on Monday 14 May. Between March 30 and May 10, MSF clinics admitted almost 781 trauma victims.

“The exit wounds are fist-size. Bone is pulverised into dust. This is the reality for half of the injured patients received in my organisation’s clinics since the launch of the Great Return March in Gaza.” – Jason Cone, Executive Director of MSF in the United States

This bloodbath is the continuation of the Israeli army’s policy during the last seven weeks: shooting with live ammunition at demonstrators on the assumption that anyone approaching the separation fence is a legitimate target. Our teams have received more than 800 patients with gunshot wwounds sinceSunday 1st of April. Most of the wounded will be condemned to suffer lifelong injuries.

We can’t let these individuals be ignored or forgotten.
    SHARE THIS STORY:
    [text enlarged for emphasis by me]
    If that was in London, Paris or New York it would reverberate around world, the street would be waist deep in flowers and cards would consume a forest.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

But it's not London, Paris or New York. What's your point?

That some lives are worth more than others in the minds of some people for various reasons?

What is the value of this insight? Hasn't it ever been thus?

Don't worry, mdh; I fully expected you to deny any similarities. The American Exceptionalism is strong in you.
    It would worry me, if i should ever find myself dependent upon your judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Trump likes to poke at hornet's nests. The upshot is that America can no longer be a broker in the region. That's done. Now somebody else will have to manage the plot. It's hard to see how they could do much worse, but the option for things we don't want to see happen just got more likely. This is just another in a series of blunders and not the most important one either, but it's emblematic of the kind of idiocy that we are seeing more routinely. Nobody needed us to move our embassy. Nothing positive was accomplished, and you might say that even if nothing bad happens, we just saddled ourselves with more expense making an entirely pointless embassy move. But we already can see that we've created a furor with much ado about nothing.

Can anybody please explain how our situation is improved by this waste of lives, money and political capital?
    "We offended all the right people."

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Up against this?
    Those against a wall between the US and Mexico will assure you that walls don’t work.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Right.

Every year.

So so why did the Israelis decide to maim and murder 2,000 of them THIS year?
    Good point. Politically it would have been to their benefit to reduce the amount of deaths and injuries during this highly publicized event. So why would they do it? Is there more here than meets the eye?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Good point. Politically it would have been to their benefit to reduce the amount of deaths and injuries during this highly publicized event. So why would they do it? Is there more here than meets the eye?
    Stirring the hornets nest? Draw Iran further into the fray?
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

You have to consider the paranoia in Israel, coupled with how little regard they have for Arabs. They seriously don't think of Arabs as being any more valuable than insects - its nothing to Israeli's to kill Arabs. BUT they must reinforce how powerful Israel is compared to how weak and pitiful Arabs are.
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

True, the colonials were invading another peoples land.
    Hamas are defending their land against oppression.

The colonials can be more accurately described as terrorists than Hamas.
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    You have to consider the paranoia in Israel, coupled with how little regard they have for Arabs. They seriously don't think of Arabs as being any more valuable than insects...
    To the former, I doubt it. To the latter, no.

The Israelis want to be accepted by western powers. They have no friends in their region. They want more embassies to move to Jerusalem, not fewer. Sure, some small counties are planning on moving there too, but they want the heavy hitters. Their next goal is Britain. They want the UK to follow the US in this matter.

No way those protest weren’t foreseen and their security forces told to show restraint on at least that day. They aren’t stupid. We are not getting the whole picture.

No way those protest weren’t foreseen and their security forces told to show restraint on at least that day.
    I call bull****. Israel used snipers and live fire in March/April, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-show-unarmed/ if they intended to show restraint they would not have deployed snipers.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

^ Absolutely +1.

Drawing the US, via Donald, into the affray.

2100 wounded, loads of dead and it went according to an organized plan with some justified but hidden motives we can speculate about after the fact? Unlikely. Brute force response to a predictable event with 'Ils ne passeront pas' and the establishment of a no man's land being the objectives and wiith the reinforcement of hegemony as the lesson and ultimate goal. None passed so they accomplished their mission. How else could they have discouraged a mob including women and children or were Uzis and Galils the only possibility? With months to prep.

Another disaster for all involved.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-18-2018 at 09:29 AM.

The UN has voted to send an international war crimes probe to Gaza after the body’s leading human rights official slammed Israel’s reaction to protests along the border as “wholly disproportionate”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8357981.html

"Victims never forget. Winners do, and quickly."

He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association