Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly powerboat compilation.

Default Ugly powerboat compilation.

Ugly to my eye, probably delightful to others.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: Ugly powerboat compilation.

In my opinion, Peter, you are 3 for 3 - those have no appeal to me, either....

Rick

^ Agreed!

Huh, two for two would be correct. Two of those pics are opposite ends of the same vessel.

I saw A (photos 2& 3) anchored off of Malibu California several years ago while driving on Hwy 1. It looks more like a military vessel than a civilian ship. No matter how many billions I had at my disposal I can’t imagine coming up with that for my disposable income!

As ugly as I find 2.. I would be interested in seeing underway. I am always curious about those wave piercing bows
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Paint 2 and 3 grey and the navy will be there with bells on.
    Grateful Dead

Ugh. I'm off to look at Small Boat Pron to take the nasty taste out of my mouth.

Alex

Terribly ugly

Limousine.jpg

Terribly ugly, as seen in terrible Paint sketch.
    Stark.jpg

Beautiful, as seen in terrible Paint sketch

Stark cutter.jpg

Sorry, I'm not having a go at anyone. It's just interesting to see how we see things like high freeboard, wide beam, and short overhangs as beautiful in one context, and ugly in another. Plenty of the classics that people love would have similar proportions and characteristics, and the same sort of deck. But change the topsides paint scheme and give it a gaff and baggywrinkle and we think they're beautiful, solid no-nonsense classics.

In a way it's vaguely like the time that George Watson said that while yachtsmen who were used to vertical stems had finally become used to "unsightly" clipper bows, they were never going to accept something as ugly as this bow;

Alfred_John_West-Britannia-late_1890s.jpg

(Alfred West pic from http://sailingtrivia.ravenyachts.fr)

So what does it mean when we who are fond of classics look at an old short-ended high-sided cutter with pleasure? Can our aesthetic judgement be seen as having any validity or is it just personal taste? If it's all personal taste, can we honestly make comments about the look of the powerboats in this thread? If we're only motivated by personal taste, should we make the sort of sneering comment about look-alike Chlorox bottles that are quite common in (for instance) Classic Boat magazine? Should we strive to see both old and new styles according to similar criteria, or should we accept that it's all in the eye of the beholder and therefore a Macgregor Powersailer is as beautiful as a Dragon?

Personally, it seems that it's reasonable to try to find some sort of semi-objective criteria to judge aesthetics by, and to separate our personal emotions from that judgement.
    Last edited by Chris249; 05-14-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Crap. Even with a tan bark gaff rig plonked on, it's butt ugly. And why should beauty be objective? There's no need at all for us to agree on what's beautiful. If you like the look of that thing, fine, good for you. Wierd, but whatever. I dont need to change your mind about it.

Oh, I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind; just musing. And I really don't like the Starck powerboat. To my taste it's got way too much freeboard, not enough curves, and the vertical gray panel both makes it look even taller and breaks up the sweep of the lines it does have. Stark did the same thing when he designed Beneteaus - to my eye he just throws in "decorative" panels and other things that clutter up the look.

On the other hand, it used to be that many designers thought about the "rules" of aesthetics a lot, and found it interesting. And if it's all subjective....well, sure that's fine, but that seems to mean that this;

ugly.jpg

is as beautiful as this (from CB's site, sorry);

Classic boat.jpg

Personally, I accept that some of my own craft have features that aren't exactly attractive. It doesn't mean I love them any less, it just seems to be an interesting outcome of the multi-faceted and incredibly complicated tradeoffs that are involved in boat design. And I suppose it seems a good thing to be able to at least try to be objective about boats, even our own, as much as we can.

Why? Be objective, that is.
    While there don't need to be universal rules, I suspect most will agree that those sail boats look better than the houseboat barge.

Yeah actually I like that. There is stark minimalism and an effort to consider rectilinear proportion. The straight lines make me reconsider the preconception of curved surfaces in a marine environement. I like that the designer asks a question and it requires me to define on reflection my internal opinion. It's art.

The full deck wide hatch cover is genius. When it's back it matches to the side piece. I bet that little toilet to the left would have a nice open air shower which would be a joy after a swim. Flat foredeck for sunbathing and interior volume, open transom platform to get into the water, outside steering. It's a modern version af a standard 1930's rasied deck river cruiser. I wouldn't say it was ugly, just contemporary. Easy boat to live with.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-14-2018 at 04:57 AM.

I'd prefer the designer to design houses or shopping centres, he's probably do a very acceptable job.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'd prefer the designer to design houses or shopping centres, he's probably do a very acceptable job.
    Ones that are in a very far away land.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I like how the A/C unit can double as a seat, clever.

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 05-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Dang hippies

Nosce te ipsum

'Ugly powerboats' is a little like 'damp water'. (Note how I nobly refrained from using a political metaphor? You're welcome. ) Finding one that isn't surpassingly ugly is the challenge, at least among ordinary fiberglass production boats. Here you go, right off the current Bayliner website, plowing along digging a trench and dragging half the bay along with it.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-14-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Because I often equate ugly runabouts with running shoes, I googled "boats that look like shoes". Didn't realize google was so literal.

A friend bought (mortgaged) a 100k powerboat. I forget the name but it was top end quality (it did have a beautifull wood saloon table) perhaps about 40ft.

It was a 'sporty' deep V hull. What struck me as we went down to Cowes, is that is felt like being on a bus. It was I think the character of the engine. A big diesel. It probably, almost certainly was unavoidably a big commercial bus/ truck engine. It battered chop obviously, so going down the Solent, was like going down the Solent sat on a British bus. Noisy, a rumble, flat.

As I sat there facing forward, looking out the window, the aural echoes, the movement felt the same. There was no real challenge to the day. The biggest challenge of the day was berthing it back in. The sailing boats were in effect stationary buoys that could only be carved around when you're at 30-40 knots. I made the effort to pass with a big distance and waved. Nobody waved back. Sailing people do look grumpy and unfriendly from a motor boat helm i must say. They are at least capable of providing rapid assistance and an easy boarding platform for a sailor overboard or a sailboat in trouble, so they do have their uses, spread about the place.

It was palatial aquatic transport, but it wasn't me. I didn't feel enough challenge that sailing boats, and especially small ones provide, nor enough connection to the surface. Curiously a Ring 20/ 175 outboard didn't leave me cold and I had one of them for a good few years, neither do displacment 20ft fishing boats of which I've enjoyed several. In their case there is more connection to the surface and more demands to be in the right water at the right time when you are going very fast or very slow.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.

While I agree these are pretty unattractive, ugly, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure some think they are gorgeous.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Dang hippies

My old hippy heart loves this one.

As long as it's moored securely.
    As much as i love the heart and star shaped windows, I think they are no asset in a storm
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

It does have a certain 'steam-punk' / 'Jules Verne' look about her. Vastly better than some of the other abortions that have 'surfaced' recently.
    Yma o hyd

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

Yeah actually I like that. There is stark minimalism and an effort to consider rectilinear proportion. The straight lines make me reconsider the preconception of curved surfaces in a marine environement. I like that the designer asks a question and it requires me to define on reflection my internal opinion. It's art.

It's a modern version af a standard 1930's rasied deck river cruiser. I wouldn't say it was ugly, just contemporary. Easy boat to live with.
    That's an interesting viewpoint. The overall proportions look very similar to some of the "classic" raised deck launches or powerboats that some love. In fact many of them also have a very boxy doghouse and yet despite vertical bow and stern, hard chines, lack of sheer and loads of freeboard, they are considered beautiful while the Starck boat, similar in so many ways, is considered beautiful.

I still don't like the Starck boat's side piece, nor do I like it generally. However, when the classic boats that so many of us love were designed, their owners and designers would muse and write at length about what made a boat look good, so it seems odd that few people will discuss it these days.

"...few people will discuss it these days. "

Oh, there are discussions about the relative merit of modern powerboats as functional art, just not many on a forum dedicated to wooden boats with a forum population whom are mostly hide-bound to traditional (as in, at least fifty years old) boat forms. Youse guys just gotta get out more often... <grin>

The normal response hereabouts seems to be "if it ain't like a Trumpy or Chris-Craft, I hate it!"
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

The full deck wide hatch cover is genius. When it's back it matches to the side piece. I bet that little toilet to the left would have a nice open air shower which would be a joy after a swim. Flat foredeck for sunbathing and interior volume, open transom platform to get into the water, outside steering. It's a modern version af a standard 1930's rasied deck river cruiser. I wouldn't say it was ugly, just contemporary. Easy boat to live with.
    +1

I also like the Van Dam Alpha Z.

Nosce te ipsum

I can't help myself: whenever I see her, all I can imagine is that the flat-bottomed hull turned turtle, and they didn't bother righting her but instead just built a superstructure on the inverted hull.

Or maybe she *is* inverted, and what we see as the superstructure was actually intended as an underwater viewing pod. And hanging under the water, out of sight, is an even more egregious deckhouse, so big it capsized her and now serves as ballast.

It wasn't an engineering error, it was a change in functional design...

Alex

One of those seems to be available in kit form:

Although it appears the one you showed isn't finished, it doesn't have the ornamentation.

I don't think the stainless panels are at all functional. I would not want to operate a boat with a large silver panel in front of the helmsman on a sunny day, the glare would be too much. The lack of a windscreen means the spray would leave you with an uncomfortable amount of salt in your eyes. I'm sure the raised deck will give the owner a nice interior, but I don't see any steps to easily get on that deck for handling dock lines. Some boats have a sort of blunt efficiency that makes them attractive despite blocky lines, but this boat does not seem to be designed for use on the water. A model of it will look nice in the owner's office, and that's the kind of environment it appears to be designed for.

These boats, for example, are not what I'm used to looking at, they don't suit my needs, and I doubt I would enjoy being around them on the same water, but they are so clearly designed with purpose that they make their own aesthetic:

If you are going to follow a modernist aesthetic, form has to follow function. Decorative stainless steel that does not serve function is a different aesthetic entirely. It may be a good way to design an top-tier refrigerator, but I don't like that approach to a boat.

While I agree the Stainless steel is a bit much, I do like how that whole panel moves forwards to expose the cabin, controls, and other stuff. I find that idea rather clever and neat. Overall it is not a bad design for what is probably a "day boat" for the owner. I would rather the panel be in CF or wood.. but it's not offensive like the other boat.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

catch the person on the deck on the side.
    The sudden switch of scale makes me whoosy.

maxresdefault.jpg
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.