Thread: Found a Grabit boathook...

Default Found a Grabit boathook...

It’s the second one in my sailing career; I had one thirty years ago and I can’t recall what became of it. They are nice things for the singlehander.

Out of interest I Googled the name and found a reference to one in a novel by Nevil Shute about a flying boat. Were they regular flying boat equipment? I can imagine that picking up the mooring in a flying boat was more critical than it is in a sailing boat. My mental picture of the WW2 Sunderlands with their CQR anchors and PBYs (“Catalinas”) with their Northills now extends to the boathook...
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 05-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: Found a Grabit boathook...

I have a knock off or variant of the same.

It will be interesting to compare them.

The one that I lost was made by Davey & Co., Ltd, but the one I have now seems older and was made by the Leam Engineeribg Company of Leamington Spa; not a place that I would naturally associate with a demand for boat hooks.
    It is very nicely made, cast and machined to quite close tolerances and very strong and light.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

They don't exactly give them away do they ? Classic Marine .
    225.01 inc. VAT
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The one that I just acquired “n”-th hand looks intriguingly different.

The shape of the hook differs, the latch is machined, not cast, and it is made by “The Leam Engineering Company, Limited, of Leamington Spa. The stainless shackle is my replacement for the missing brass split pin..

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 05-14-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The Cooke Booke, Dick Wynne’s edition...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Dad went from colonel in the Army Air Corps to, as he put it, "Assistant Door Closer" on the Boeing 314. He also was the guy who popped the fore hatch and used the grabit to snare the mooring. One captain was legendary for making a bad mooring worse, as likely to overshoot as to undershoot. One fameous time at Shannon the captain got where he thought was right and cut the engines. Well short. A close lee shore. Dad stripped off his coat and shoes, told a near at hand purser to pay out the line, and dove. It was a long and tought route to move up the Sky God ranks to Captain.

Thanks, Ian! Quite a story. And it confirms that the Grabit boathook, like the Northill anchor, really was flying boat equipment.

British yachtsmen sometimes think that the CQR was invented for flying boats, but it was actually invented by Professor Sir Geoffrey Taylor, FRS, for his own boat, in 1937. RAF Sunderland flying boats were equipped with CQRs, though, and they also had lightweight aluminium versions of the Baby Blake heads.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I had one that worked with an of the shelf carbine hook. It was a channel on the end of the pole that held the carbine open. It worked remarkably well.

My marina variant is a carabiner on a set length spring.That stays at the boat end( though) The spring is through some PVC hose to make an extension ,and has a long loop at the end. As we come in the spring gets dropped on a standup fixed hook arrangement on the dock. I take that up and then put the power back on to hold her in to stbd while we get the rest of the lines.

Solo Marine makes the Magic Stick ( solomarine.com)

Its about $135 depending on length, other features, etc. can also buy the special carabiner by itself.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Out of interest I Googled the name and found a reference to one in a novel by Nevil Shute about a flying boat.
    I believe the novel by Shute is "An Old Captivity". The climactic scene takes place in Prince's Cove, Ostervillle, Cape Cod, a literal stone's throw from my parents last home. I was completely surprised to recognize the description when I came to the end of the book.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I believe the novel by Shute is "An Old Captivity". The climactic scene takes place in Prince's Cove, Ostervillle, Cape Cod, a literal stone's throw from my parents last home. I was completely surprised to recognize the description when I came to the end of the book.
    Yes, it is. Shute tends to be good at both flying and sailing. Thanks!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT