Thread: Boat storage-mosquitos and mineral oil

Default Boat storage-mosquitos and mineral oil

I have tried a variety of covers for my Seapearl. It seems no matter what I try, they each allow a bit of water in during a heavy rain. Usually I go out and take care of it after a rain.

I'll be traveling this summer and will not be able to get to the boat for perhaps months at a time. I was thinking about putting some mosquito dunks down there. I've had mixed luck with those and the Amazon reviews indicate they're having some quality control issues. No fun to find 1000 mosquito larva swimming around a BT dunk.

A more foolproof method would seem to be oil on the water . In addition to my best efforts to cover, I was thinking of putting a couple of cups of mineral oil in the bilge to keep the mosquito population at bay till I return . Is this a good idea? Will the mineral oil last several months or will it evaporate. Is there another oil that would be more appropriate?

To make it a little more complicated I plan to repaint the bilge this fall and I realize adding oil to the equation isn't the best idea but I feel somewhat confident I can scrub it out with dawn. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks Tom

Default Re: Boat storage-mosquitos and mineral oil

I have no idea whether the concept of adding oil will actually work --I know I've heard of it, but I don't know its efficacy-- but it might demand more oil than you'd want to pour in. For instance, if you need enough for a 1/8" surface layer, that starts to be a lot of oil. Especially when it comes time to get it back out.

I was going to suggest kero, instead, since there isn't much functional difference between that and paint thinner in this application, but I think it would evaporate too quickly.

For that matter, what about just using the Dawn detergent itself? As a surfactant, it should do quite a number on insect larvae.

Alex

Using oil of any sort sounds messy to me, and I don't see how you can clean it up well enough to paint later.

I would just do a better job of covering it. It seems to me that a couple of layers of 6 mil agricultural poly, available at farm supplies, should do the trick nicely.

My wooden Streaker has an aft tank and so the cockpit can’t drain through that. I put the smallest self bailer I could get as far back as I could get it. The boat is left bow up so it drains though this. Other people have gone one step further an cut J-Cloth in half and laid strips of them on the back bulkhead with about 6 inches of the ends sticking through the bailer, capillary action sucks the inside dry.

Not sure if it would work on the Sea Pearl. Not sure what layout of cover you use but I am convinced mine was leaking though the mast track.

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

You will hate yourself for intentionally putting oil in the bilge. For real effect and 100% loathing pour in used motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    You will hate yourself for intentionally putting oil in the bilge. For real effect and 100% loathing pour in used motor oil.
    Just so.
    Linseed oil maybe.

Detergent is a good shout as it will stop them breathing.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Just so.
    Linseed oil maybe.

Detergent is a good shout as it will stop them breathing.
    Not without Japan drier.
    A better water tight cover seems the best to me.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

ah gross...they BREED in the trapped bilgewater?
    How about a ten pound bag of salt?

Why not rent barn or garage space for the duration of time you will be away?

Or, 500 bucks from the big box store, which is likely close to, if not cheaper than, three months space rental. And you can sell it on craigslist when you get back and no longer need it
    : https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterL...-202934591-_-N

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 11.55.31 AM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ah gross...they BREED in the trapped bilgewater?
    How about a ten pound bag of salt?
    My thought too. A bag of salt. ... and It’s good for the wood.

Or a couple of containers of RoachPruf. It's a harmless wood preservative, which may be quite important if the hull is holding warm fresh water for long periods of time. I don't know for certain that it would discourage the mosquitoes from breeding there, but I would bet that it will. You can add the salt too, that will stop the buggers.

Better altogether to just keep it dry. I don't know your boat. Can you just flip it over?

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    My thought too. A bag of salt. ... and It’s good for the wood.
    I don't think it is good for the wood... and wouldn't do that.

Dish soap is said to kill the larva and would not be big mess later.
    What is the issue that keep you from preventing the entry of water?
    We just got an old ('86) Sea Pearl that has been severely beaten and adequately repaired. It looks ok and should be totally serviceable/fun.
    The foredeck hawse pipe can be sealed with a plastic bag and some tape if the cover is missing. The big cockpit opening on ours has a tonneau cover that I made a batten for which runs fore-aft to make it shed water reliably. The deck/cockpit drains properly when the trailer tongue is elevated. The mast sockets do need a cover of some sort.
    Install a garboard drain and leave it open when stored. We are thinking about doing that. Several threads on the Yahoo Sea-Pearl group talk about installing a drain. Ours was retrofitted with ballast tanks and they both have thru hull drains but of course do not drain the bilge. It would be one more thru hull drain plug.
    Last edited by George Ray; 05-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

I'm assuming this boat is out of the water. I'd be concerned with the damage standing water is going to do to the boat. Something us going to rot away.

Thanks everyone. It's a fiberglass boat. Lots of good ideas.

With a long absence, one never knows what can happen to a tarp. Up to and including wind, cats, raccoons, and rats.

I like the salt idea. No harm to a fiberglass boat as far as I know.

Well jeeze if I had known..

Rather than mosquito dunks try the small pellets that have the same active bio-ingredient.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Hang on. Pour in a couple of gallons of car anti-freeze.

There will be no mosquitos.

I think that stuff is too toxic to just leave in out in the open. Accidentally poisoning a wild animal, bird or pet is a nasty business.

Why not install a drain plug in your boat? A new threaded bronze plug, they are less than $20

Never tried it but, how about a few table spoons worth of Twenty Mule Team Borax? It is toxic to a lot of little critters, and mold, and rot. It is also water soluble.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Never tried it but, how about a few table spoons worth of Twenty Mule Team Borax? It is toxic to a lot of little critters, and mold, and rot. It is also water soluble.
    And toxic to marine life and humans - the solution is to stop the water getting in or let it drain out not pollute the environment you enjoy sailing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I think that stuff is too toxic to just leave in out in the open. Accidentally poisoning a wild animal, bird or pet is a nasty business.

Why not install a drain plug in your boat? A new threaded bronze plug, they are less than $20

Works for me, seriously considered it though in the end I found it easier to get a self bailer flush to the hull

+1 Garboard plug.

I wouldn't do oil in my boat but it WILL keep mosquito larvae from getting oxygen and hatching. We used to call the county mosquito control to do this at our property. Before they knew about environmental issues they used waste crankcase oil from the airport for mosquito control. The oil film was so thin it was hard to see and you would never notice it..plants, fish, turtles and birds never seemed to be affected. It worked well but they later stopped the practice in the 1970s. Now they spray some type of clear insecticide.

I would get a good cover made of sunbrella and make bows to keep it high enough to shed water. Sunbrella is strong, water resistant and breaths. Sew it yourself and save some bucks.