Thread: Where are the black and hispanic people?

Default Where are the black and hispanic people?

40% of our military consist of people of color.

So, why have several high profile White House ceremonies regarding military personnel been lilly white... not a black or brown face to be seen?

Interesting article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00d7e4c190db2
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Where are the black and hispanic people?

Maybe Repugnicans are color blind?

Given the numbers of blacks and hispanics in our military, the only way to get all white events is deliberate. Another dog whistle to the base. I am ashamed that the military is going along with this.

L.W.Baxter could be right if people thought that they were being called on to be decorative props.

It might be instructive if you knew at what level those decisions were being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    40% of our military consist of people of color.

So, why have several high profile White House ceremonies regarding military personnel been lilly white... not a black or brown face to be seen?

Interesting article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00d7e4c190db2
    Its amazing to see you folks using the same old tired talking point as a point of contention, race when its convenient, while also attaching it to the military folks, which most don't speak highly of in the course of your conversations either. You hate every single dime that's also spent on our military . So why are you now so concerned about the troops? But tell us again about that wonderful and mostly white community that you speak so highly of on occasions. Of course that's fine in that privileged region.
    Last edited by erster; 05-12-2018 at 04:23 PM.

All I know is that these public expressions of shame do make the world a better place. Right?

Having been a member of the US Armed forces I must admit I never saw that purposeful bigitry. Most of us low level enlisted grunts never got remotely close to WH goings on.

Most invited to those events were in a section of the military that most likely "won't see combat". But it had nothing to do with race or color.
    PaulF

Plenty of Black Troops are guarding the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier. Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    Its amazing to see you folks using the same old tired talking point as a point of contention, race when its convenient, while also attaching it to the military folks, which most don't speak highly of in the course of your conversations either. You hate every single dime that's also spent on our military . So why are you now so concerned about the troops? But tell us again about that wonderful and mostly white community that you speak so highly of on occasions. Of course that's fine in that privileged region.
    I think this may be too silly for anyone to bite on, Mike. You doing OK these days? You're a little off your game.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    I know! erster was a bit over the top.
    Yep, how dare someone points out that without race being the main component of this thread, there would be no thread pertaining to the military unless the thread was to disparage them.

I guess bobbys missed the post where I noted that I had the pleasure of voting for a Republican, Edward Brooke, for senate in 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I think this may be too silly for anyone to bite on, Mike. You doing OK these days? You're a little off your game.
    I know, old age, you know. Things are tough these days. May as well spend a bit more time on the water. By the way got a chance to see your Snowbirds last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Let's parse two sentences of your post: "You hate every single dime that's also spent on our military . So why are you now so concerned about the troops?"

I doubt anyone here hates every single dime that is spent on our military. Thus, hyperbole. Speaking for myself, I wish that military spending would be on the table when the right wing says that we need budget cuts to balance their previous tax cuts. I just wish that tax increases would be on the table, when discussing increases in military spending. I just wish that the red states had the same percentage voice in the electoral college that they do in their contribution to military spending. I just wish the red states would acknowledge that California and New York (and Texas) fund our military.

Regarding your second sentence, it does not follow that someone can't criticize military spending while still supporting the troops. I am in favor for mandatory military service, with no chance of deferment, for all 18 year Americans.

Thus, your statement constructed straw men, rather than discuss the question at hand.
    LOL!!!
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Where are the Blacks and Hispanics here?

Where are the Blacks and Hispanics here?
    Mostly not here. And mostly not where most of us live.

But for some reason some of us become indignant if others do the same.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

What percentage of our military is American?

"What percentage of our military is American?" [#20]

According to https://immigrationforum.org/wp-cont...Fact-Sheet.pdf :

"Between 1999 and 2010, approximately 80,000 non-citizens joined the U.S. military force.1 Most recent data from the Department of Defense (DOD) showed that 24,000 noncitizens were on active duty in 2012, with 5,000 legal permanent residents (LPRs) enlisting into the U.S. military force each year."

Right now alost 30% of total military personell and about 5% active duty combat troops are non-citizens. Depending upon how each service counts, the normal ratio of support troops to combat troops ranges from 10:1 to 20:1 so non-citizens in our military making it to combat at about 6:1 shows some vigor. This should be no surprise when one recalls the very large numbers of non-citizens who fought in our war of manifest destiney against Mexico, fought on both sides of our Civil War, and fought in every war since.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Thanks Ian.
    It was a smart ass rhetorical question of mine , as usual , anyway.
    Pisser is , folks not becoming AUTOMATIC citizens after serving in our military... about as wacky a gd thing as I can imagine .
    bruce

whiz, I figured, but I also figured that many folk, not understanding our history, don't know of the many non-citizens who have given blood and life to our nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    . . .large numbers of non-citizens who fought in our war of manifest destiney against Mexico. . .
    I posted this before, but this song will haunt you.

A true story about the Mexican-American war and the San Patricios.

Rattling the teacups.

No body cares about Blacks and Hispanics until there is an election coming up. The electorate is seeing right through the hypocrites that make up the Democrat party. Keep it up and all those nasty brown people might start voting against their interest. (Laughing)

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    No body cares about Blacks and Hispanics until there is an election coming up. The electorate is seeing right through the hypocrites that make up the Democrat party. Keep it up and all those nasty brown people might start voting against their interest. (Laughing)

All too true that the Democrats take "the black vote" for granted and the Republicans have not even tried since Earl Butz's infameous three reasons why the Republican party will never get the black vote. If you don't recall this bit of odd racism, hit the wikkipedia and scroll down to the scandals and resignation entry. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Butz]

There have been many studies how various housing, economic development, and community programs have sometimes wittingly and sometimes unwittingly made things worse, especially for people of color. One of the more recent is "The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America" by Richard Rothstein, 2017.

The Democratic party needs to heed studies of this sort to build a party that's about civil and economic justice for all.