Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Homemade tools and knives.

Default Re: Homemade tools and knives.

Below are three pictures of the progress on my workbench so far. I hope to get it nearly done tomorrow. I cut two tapered housing dadoes in the front apron and then loosely assembled it. There are wedges that hold it together. Tomorrow I hope to cut the back apron housing dadoes and bolt the aprons on so I can glue the bench top in place.

Housing Dadoe:
    Apron Housing Dado.jpg

Loosely assembled bench:

Loose Pre-Assembly1.jpg

And a picture with the vise sitting about above where it will be in the bench once complete.
    Loose pre-assembly.jpg
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

It worked! They all came in upside-down Nice slick, Paul! I'm highly jealous of your anvil!

Anvil.jpg

That posted correctly.

Scot what gives with the inverted images ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Looking good. I recently built the Moravian Bench. If your thinking tail vise, the Lee Valley Veretas Inset Vise is very useful. More robust than it looks and quick to install. Needs some dog holes. Rockler has wheels you engage with pedal, four for $60.00. They work good and handy for a small space.

Wheels might be nice on the bottom of it and foot pedal engaged ones sound great. No tail vise for me. Maybe later but for now no tail vise.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Not the fine craftsmanship shown elsewhere on this thread, but immensely useful. Lapstrake clamps from scrap 2x4s and a floor fitting from 4" ABS with wheels from an old bed frame for the 4" dust collection. Note the nylon washers under the wing nuts. They make it much easier on the fingers.
    Tools 001.jpgTools 002.jpgTools 003.jpg

I think it was Norm, not that Norm, who said you can never have enough clamps. I’d have no use for them but I still want some. That washer is using the old noggin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    I think it was Norm, not that Norm, who said you can never have enough clamps. I’d have no use for them but I still want some. That washer is using the old noggin.
    If you look carefully at the red cedar one on the right you can barely see that it has a big plastic knob nut. That's way better.

Clamps ? Here's a shot of one of my lapstrake clamps, I turned up a little gizmo to fit over the butterfly nut so I can do them up easily, quickly and hard.P3290115.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

My home made bending iron. Made from a spent propane cylinder with the top cut off and mounted with a 100w lightbulb inside. Works well on stock up to 3mm thick. A crude but effective alternative to the $295 one offered by StuMac.

bender1 (405x540).jpg

bender (405x540).jpg

One of the very early issues of WB had a lap clamp that was one hand, cam operated and called a Brenne Clamp. I keep meaning to make a couple, just because they're cool, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

brenne clamp.jpg

A simple solution to a very hard to reach pipe joint. Instead of dismantling half the car, we tacked a cheap socket onto a cheap spanner.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

A $25 seal puller, modified on a grinder to do the valve shims on my M5. A genuine tool was priced at $400 at the time.

Homemade layup / welding table. Drilled and tapped for hold-downs. 3/4" thick steel, 4' diameter.

Homemade device for peening heads onto copper rod to make bolts for the boat

That valve shim tool again, on top of some home-made bush and bearing pullers... allowing home renewal of all the suspension bushes and wheel bearings on the M5

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Have you seen Vince's site, Frayed Knot Arts (LINK)?
    Some fine stuff there!

Custom Knives & Tools (LINK)

Custom Spikes (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)