Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tools and knives.

Default Re: Homemade tools and knives.

Great work Tom, a nice design too!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

33649389_10217190326535339_581075926591209472_n.jpg

I don't know if it qualifies as a tool, but this sailmaker's bench that I made off a picture that I copied might not look like much, but it is a really handy size and makes short work of seaming and other needle work.

Nice! Is the projected gusset for a sail hook?

Not a tool as such, but I decided that Luna needed a new collar. Recycled belt and phosphor bronze from the scrap bin.
    DSC03403.jpg
    DSC03406.jpg
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 06-08-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thank you. Yes, the projected gusset or mast is for the sailhook. I shipped it for the picture, because I was treating the wood. The angle is just right to maintain tension.

Nice dog collar. Old mooring lines and castoff snap shackles make great leashes/runs.

Joe

Luna's looking good.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Luna's looking good.
    Thanks. That is two good walks a day with a couple of games of tug 'o war in between.
    You should see how improved I look.

I've shown my riggers bench before, it's inspired by a 19th c model still at use at my work. I'm particularly happy with the half-blind dovetails on the drawer, the first time I tried to make this joint and it worked out great.
    The bench is totally take apart, everything is attached with bolts and nuts, even the benchtop is made out of two pieces held together with three threaded bolts.
    Since the picture, I've added a "floor" to the area half-way down the legs, so I have some storage area there. I have also made four belaying pins that go into holes outside of the posts.

A small marlinespike, a bit of shaping of the tip and the turk's head was all I did really, so perhaps don't qualify.

Another small marlinespike (the wooden handled one), made from an old screwdriver. This is my favorite when splicing thin wires, up to 10 mm or so.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student, a rigger apprentice and Journeyman http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/

If a dittybag qualifies. The one farest away was my first assignment as a riggers aprentice, the one closest to the camera was made for a customer.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student, a rigger apprentice and Journeyman http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/

What an intrepid and impressive lot of creativity and craftsmanship!

I've posted a shot of my Spar Lathe before - but here it is with some details. It's a basic Jet 1236 with the tailstock separated from the headstock along a 24' (3-piece) shop-built plywood box beam. Box beam sits on a row of folding sawhorses. It all breaks down into tidier bits so as to not take up space when it's not in use.

Here it is set up and ready to run

Tool Rest mounted on movable false section of lathe bed

Tailstock mounted out at the very far end for the moment - so I can measure the maximum length of spinnable stick - just over 22.5 feet.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

When spinning something as long and skinny as a spar - the stock will, unless constrained, oscillate and 'whip'. In fact, it will throw itself right off the lathe. So we mount 'steadyrests'. Here they are --

Steadyrests mounted on box beam

Steadyrest opening circle with slight flat for mounting

Pivoted open

Pivot Mechanism

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Well, if ditty bags are allowed, here is mine.
    DSC03407.jpg

364D5594-A98A-4406-A2EE-1D9BD13844B1.jpg
    For making splices in wee little lines.

C376863F-28F1-40AE-A5D0-A6072C3DAD68.jpg
    For rounding over kayak stringers.

9D9E188F-2753-4691-A031-87F49FDB7B32.jpg
    Whee!

Peace,
    Robert

Love that little roundover plane. Just plane enough <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Building kayaks is probably my favorite thing in the world. If I hadn’t gotten hurt, I’d still be paddling happily, as much in the water as on it. I’d still be making kayaks like it was a disease. Man, I miss hanging upside down with goggles on...

Anyway, the best is to measure a person, then figure out what type of boat, then make it all to fit. I love working by eye, which I spent dozens of years training to do. Not just boats, unfortunately, but loads of stuff. I love steaming wood, too. Building kayaks that way is a pleasure I’ve only had a few times for other people. I got about 12 “story sticks” for myself, yet. I still have the one frame...

The most delicious part of this kayak stringer plane, to me, is the wood is all kayak offcuts. It’s like a Samurai sword. Soft in the middle, hard outside. I only folded it 5 times, though.

Peace,
    Robert

We might need to start a new thread just for ditty bags. Come to think of it, it's time to build a new one...IMG_4400.jpg
    IMG_4399.jpgand no idea why the system turned the photos sideways!
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

251487D9-5039-4B25-9348-0BC832E6F878.jpg
    I am between lanyards, as it were. It mostly sits in the corner, so no need for a new one, really.

Peace,
    Robert

Love it Rob!
    Grateful Dead

Yes, that stringer plane is sweet.

Not mine but fun:

I used to make those as a school boy but knew nothing of different steel grades so mine were all forged from mild steel nails.
    Grateful Dead

Having been a long-time lurker here, I was drawn into participating by Ted Hoppe's 'Travel in Europe' thread. I am now taking further courage and I am now trying to upload some of my home-made objects.
    P1080618.jpg
    The first picture shows two bowsaws that I made when I had to cut out some large curved parts (for a skin-on-frame boat, as far as I remember).
    P1080622.jpg

The second picture shows a simple dittybag with most of its content.
    P1080625.jpg
    The third is a seaming palm that was re-cut and re-sewn from a very simple palm that was rather clumsy and hard to use. Meanwhile I have bought two high-quality palms but for ordinary sewing work I still like this one very much.
    I am not sure how this post will turn out once I post it; I will just try and live with the consequences.

Horst
    Last edited by SOF64; 06-11-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: re-positioning pictures

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Love it Rob!
    Thanks, Peter. This is about as fancy and nice as I get. The little “head” looks like it would hurt, but it fits right in my palm.
    I started making little planes like this after I read an article by Robb White about making cove and bead planes for boat work. I made some, then just kept on.
    These little planes are simple to make, and don’t work half bad.

My next plane is to be a Taiwanese style rabbet plane. Why not?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by SOF64 View Post
    Having been a long-time lurker here, I was drawn into participating by Ted Hoppe's 'Travel in Europe' thread. I am now taking further courage and I am now trying to upload some of my home-made objects.
    P1080618.jpg
    The first picture shows two bowsaws that I made when I had to cut out some large curved parts (for a skin-on-frame boat, as far as I remember).
    P1080622.jpg

The second picture shows a simple dittybag with most of its content.
    P1080625.jpg
    The third is a seaming palm that was re-cut and re-sewn from a very simple palm that was rather clumsy and hard to use. Meanwhile I have bought two high-quality palms but for ordinary sewing work I still like this one very much.
    I am not sure how this post will turn out once I post it; I will just try and live with the consequences.

Horst
    Very nice, Horst! I think a bowsaw will be one of my next tools. I have some well seasoned ash I intend to try a frame out of.

Thank you for the compliment, Hugh. Ash will do very well. It is my go-to wood species for parts that will be put under bending stress. One of the two bowsaw frames is made of ash, the other is made of white oak, which is more brittle, but has stood the test of time so far. I think part of the design secret is creating smooth curves and transitions that are pleasing to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by SOF64 View Post
    Thank you for the compliment, Hugh. Ash will do very well. It is my go-to wood species for parts that will be put under bending stress. One of the two bowsaw frames is made of ash, the other is made of white oak, which is more brittle, but has stood the test of time so far. I think part of the design secret is creating smooth curves and transitions that are pleasing to the eye.
    Well, yours are certainly pleasing to the eye Did you put a tiny radius on the shoulder of the tenon for the stretcher? I've been told that's one of the keys to making them live, but it seems like it'd create a bit of a "point load".

I made the mortise and tenon in the most simple way I could. The mortises are obviously blind mortises that leave about half of the thickness of the arms intact. The tenons on the stretchers run the whole width of the material. I only cut off the outer third of the material on each side. The mortises and tenons are a rather tight fit and are kept together by the tension of the cord.

A vegetable and herb chopper made from an old chaff cutter blade.
    2247C55D-09E2-450B-B2E8-E5265A9B01DE.jpg
    Instead of rivets I used thin dowel. I made three of them and kept one. Brilliant for dicing onion etc.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The ultimate in ridiculous tool projects:

Bucephalus's bilge pump requires two wrenches: a 1" to adjust the packing gland nut around the pump rod, and a 1-5/16" for the cylinder cap. The latter is necessary to remove the piston assembly for any inspection and repair --including when the piston manages to detach itself from the end of the pump rod (don't laugh; it happened once)-- and so I have kept a big crescent wrench aboard against that neccessity.

Sort of a glided gronicle, I know, but since I had a chunk of cast bronze plate sitting under the metal bench --a piece of an old rudder, given to me by a friend-- this seemed a good (if somewhat frivolous) use for it. And it gets my big crescent wrench back up to the shop, where it won't rust and where I can use it on other projects.

Alex

Nice Alex! And only frivolous when you don't consider the consequences of the big Crescent rusting up and not being able to do the job at the critical moment.

I've done the same thing Alex, I needed a spanner for a faucet, a size I didn't own so I cast one in bronze.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    The ultimate in ridiculous tool projects:

Alex, the practical minded might consider the entire boat a waste of time. Good thing we here aren't all that practical. Now if the wrench just had B's name on it!

Jeff

...only frivolous when you don't consider the consequences of the big Crescent rusting up and not being able to do the job at the critical moment.
    Fair enough. There's also the fact that the best place to stow the wrench is unfortunately close to the best place to position the compass, and a bronze wrench isn't so deleterious to a compass's accuracy.

I needed a spanner for a faucet, a size I didn't own so I cast one in bronze.
    Okay, now *that* is classy. Double-kudos for Mr. Sibley.

Now if the wrench just had B's name on it!
    Hah! It isn't a casting --I don't have Peter's skill or equipment-- otherwise I might have. I might need to stamp it in, though. More practically, I might stamp in the sizes and "Bilge Pump", in case B's next steward comes across it unexpectedly.

It made me feel a bit better that when I waved it at a boat friend, expecting rolled eyes and a laugh, he hustled me into his shop and pointed me at his Fordham tool and Scotchbrite disks so I could polish it properly. These boats we love are so intrinsically impractical, it only follows that we gild our beloved lilies.

Alex

You guys are a tough act to follow! I get inspiration every time I come here.

My new 1-1/2 timber framing chisel, I'll post when I heat treat it.
    Great fun here!

20180615_184029.jpg
    PaulF

testing something...
    rotated.jpgrotated.jpg
    PaulF

I,ll be ...cant turn it around...
    PaulF