Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Upstaged

Default Upstaged

As some of you may know, I am slated for open heart surgery the end of this month. The wife had really bad night Monday and by Tuesday evening she couldn’t make it upstairs, we called 911 and she was taken to the hospital and went straight to the ICU. I discovered my cardiologist in the wife’s room this afternoon. Turns out she has a bad valve but it is more serious than mine so she will going from hospital to the Heart Institute for an angiogram and surgery. The wind has gone from my sails.

The cottage is up in the air. We put the water in last weekend and left some perishable food in the fridge in anticipation of Victoria Day but I doubt we will be there. Guess I will have to run up and bring stuff back to Ottawa.

Default Re: Upstaged

That's a real kick in the teeth. My prayers are with you both.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Very sorry to hear this Bob. You are up against hard odds. Take care of yourself and your wife. There are cats' paws on the water showing a breeze will return.

Fingers crossed for you both, Bob.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I'll be thinking and praying for you both, Bob.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Bob. I hope all things go as best as they can for both of you. Get well soon, to both of you.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Certainly upsetting news, Bob.... but heart surgery is incredible these days, and I'm sure there's a good chance that after both of your surgeries, you'll both be fine, and ready for another couple of decades.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Damn damn damn. Prayers from here.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Bob, thinking of you all.

Giving you guys some good thoughts. Keep us posted.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Damn hard news. I hope you both have a good turn soon and get the recovery you are looking for. the cottage can wait for your return and there will be time to enjoy these warmer spring and summer days.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Good wishes to both of you, Bob. Hope things turn out as well as they can.

Not the sort of surprise anyone needs. Here's hoping for the best, fastest, and most complete of recoveries.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

That's scary. Best wishes to you both.

Damn. My best to you & will be thinking of both of you!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Sorry to hear that Bob - I wish you both a good surgery and good recovery. Still, while it isn't exactly what you might have wanted, count your blessings. They caught the problem and will be treating it.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

hopefully they got to her before any damage was done? Regardless, keep us informed and try to take it easy until you can get worked on. Your wife may need you now, but she does not need you dead
    "'I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Best wishes to you both.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

I'm glad you're in Canada Bob. Once you're both back on your feet you will be able to carry on, you won't be bankrupt, plus you'll feel better than you do now and that will probably last for a good long while. My best (whatever that is) to you and yours.

Good luck and best wishes to both you and your good lady Bob.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Thanks for the good thoughts, much appreciated. It’s odd how quickly this came on, she was awake most of Monday night with heartburn and by Tuesday evening could barely make it up the stairs to the bedroom. Clearly a misfunction of some valves is more serious than others. Her bad valve has to do with blood coming into the heart while mine is an output issue.

In any event, she will likely be off to the Heart Institute today for treatment. I hope she enjoys the angiogram as much as I did, it’s a very interesting process and what I got to see on the screen was fascinating. The purpose of the angiogram is to determine the condition of the arteries around the heart which will dictate the extent of work to done. Thank God we are in Canada and won’t be wiped out financially because I suspect two rounds of heart surgery could be a bit pricy if we had to pay for it.

Yuck!! I’m sorry Bob.
    Good luck to both of you

All the very best to you both for good recoveries. Maybe you could get two op's for the price of one?

And a double room………………..
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-11-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Best wishes for you and your wife, Bob. No doing things by half, eh?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

That is cruel! One major op in the household is enough to deal with but two people in recovery will be hard!
    Good Luck and best wishes for two quick recoveries.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Wow, hope all goes well.

A sticky? That is a bit of a shock. Anyway, just got an email from Gerry (she doesn't like Geraldine) and she will be getting the echocardiogram at the Qeensway Carleton Hospital today and will then be transferred to the Heart Institute. I have no idea if they do surgery at the Institute on weekends but it would be nice if they did. She is not all that comfortable at present.

Unfortunately, the parking at the Heart Institute, which is on the same campus as the Ottawa Civic Hospital is virtually non-existent. The Queensway Carleton is much newer with a lot better parking.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That is cruel! One major op in the household is enough to deal with but two people in recovery will be hard!
    Good Luck and best wishes for two quick recoveries.

We are not sure of what to do. I suggested to the cardiologist that I could postpone my surgery for a month but she didn't seem all that keen on the idea. I still don't have all that much in the way of symptoms but, as the doctor said, sometimes the only symptom is dropping dead.

We will see how she is after the operation and go from there.

It seems it don't rain but it pours. You're going along, dealing as well you can with one bad thing, and then another comes skulking along!

I'm a great believer in thoughts and prayers. Not just as a way of assuaging things, but as a means of encouraging optimism. Optimism is an underrated emotion these days, yet it's clear, in my mind, that it has the greatest of affects in difficult times.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife, Bob.
    So many questions, so little time.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Tough news Bob. Best wishes to you and Gerry for effective procedures and quick recovery.

My best wishes are for you and Gerry!

Skip

You've got the right attitude. One day at a time, and here's to lots of days for both of you.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

That's hard luck, Bob. The Heart Institute is a first rate facility, so you have that going for you. You both chose a good city to get sick in.

Parking at the Civic is awful, as you say. The lots on the North side are close to the Heart Institute, at least. And there's some private parking on the west side, as I recall...on Hamilton ave., and Carling between Hinton and Holland.

Sorry to hear that bad news.

Best wishes, thoughts and prayers to you both.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Good luck