Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to feel sorry for Donald Trump. Really.

Default Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for Donald Trump. Really.

I'm with Tom Montgomery. If Trump had a caniption fit on the stairway from AF-1 and fell head over a-hole onto the tarmac, with film at 10:00, I'd enjoy it more.

I like to think that I'm compassionate enough to feel sorry for the maggot, but realizing that he has spent his whole adult life intentionally harming other people and the environment for whatever advantage he can gain by behaving that way all I can feel is disgust. I don't enjoy feeling hatred but won't deny that I hate him in particular and his kind in general.

I feel sorry for those who support him though.

Industrialists liked the original Fascist governments too, because they had quite a good run of profits. And the trains ran on time.

Mussolini was still not exactly heroic in retrospect. Though lots of Italians loved him.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

If Korea gets resolved, my hunch is that the Nobel would go to Kim and Moon and POSSIBLY Xi, but not to our current president. Why? To,punish him for screwing the Iran deal against EVERY rational domestic and foreign voice.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I also don't think he generally tries to harm people. Sometimes, no doubt; he has a serious thing about trying to break whatever Obama did - but generally he just tries to inflate and protect his self-image by really childish means, and it's not going to end well. I think he would prefer real solid accomplishments and successes over puffery and bragging, and genuine respect and admiration that's deserved - but he has not a clue how to do it. It's almost tragic, except he doesn't have the genuine virtue needed for tragedy.

And the older I get, the more I realize that mutually-contradictory emotions are far more common than one might think. I'm well past being amused, alas, but pity and loathing at the same time? Sure, why not?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I also don't think he generally tries to harm people.
    I think you're wrong about this. He has no empathy and is incapable of feeling the pain he causes others which of course makes it all too easy for him to do real damage for no gain to anybody.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I think you're wrong about this. He has no empathy and is incapable of feeling the pain he causes others which of course makes it all too easy for him to do real damage for no gain to anybody.
    I think he sees life as a zero-sum game in which harming people is how he wins. It's pretty much the essence of how he operates.

I also don't think he generally tries to harm people.
    I agree, the end game is not harm - but collateral damage is of very little consequence to him.
    Causing harm is causing harm, lack of intention doesn't absolve you from negligence.

It's almost tragic, except he doesn't have the genuine virtue needed for tragedy.
    Don Quixote without the chivalry.
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

The operative word there is tries. He certainly lacks empathy, is pretty indifferent to others' suffering, does indeed tend to see things as a zero-sum game, has caused an immense amount of harm, and will probably cause a lot more before we're rid of him. But that's not the same thing as deliberately setting out to harm people. Not much of a defense, I admit, and the end result is often the same.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

.Really?

Projecting much?

Looks like Trumpys having a pretty good time to me!

The operative word there is tries. He certainly lacks empathy, is pretty indifferent to others' suffering, does indeed tend to see things as a zero-sum game, has caused an immense amount of harm, and will probably cause a lot more before we're rid of him. But that's not the same thing as deliberately setting out to harm people. Not much of a defense, I admit, and the end result is often the same.

desperation setting in among the Libs as Trumpys poll numbers continue to climb

"I always get revenge." DFT

He is a train wreck of a human, and now after decades of inflicting his special kind of suffering on all those that come into his orbit, he is paying back karma a vastly accelerated rate. Good for him. TRUCK FUMP!

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 05-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    "I always get revenge." DFT

He is a train wreck of a human, and now after decades of inflicting his special kind of suffering on all those that come into his orbit, he is paying back karma a vastly accelerated rate. Good for him. And again, TRUCK FUMP!

Pay Back's a ... ?

Nosce te ipsum

So some of you don't think that, from time to time at least, and actually quite often, he get's up in the morning grinning to himself and thinking "I'm going to get that ****** ******"?
    Dream on. He's a vindictive bully, plainly, simply and obviously, and if that's what he is now you can be damned certain that's what he's been for a long long time. That's not to say that from time to time he doesn't bully just as a matter of course, that's his life style in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post

of course the Free Trade Globalist Billionaires can't come out in public and Say they HATE Trumpy because he sticks up for the American Workers... hence this drivel!

To paraphrase something that we hear quite often, "If you're not against him you're with him", and I'll add to that, if your with him you obviously approve of his behaviour.

Anyone who approves of that sort of behavior should be seeking professional help.

It’s pretty obvious some folks are feeling sorry for themselves.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    It’s pretty obvious some folks are feeling sorry for themselves.
    Images like this have ruined their day!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    desperation setting in among the Libs as Trumpys poll numbers continue to climb
    Grasping at straws.

Currently joint lowest with Jimmy Carter for May of second year. (Iran hostages?)
    Maybe Trump will become the next 'best ex-President'?

http://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/p...ald-trump.aspx

Obama didn't even get that low in May of year 2, when the GFC was biting hard during the highest run in foreclosures, and negative equity, in the USA. And there were two very unpopular wars in full swing.
    Trump was given a dream run from Obama, by comparison, and still can't edge over 45%.

Negative Equity.jpg

For the record, I do not feel sorry for him.
    The mans a pig. An orange one.
    Last edited by gypsie; 05-09-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    To paraphrase something that we hear quite often, "If you're not against him you're with him", and I'll add to that, if your with him you obviously approve of his behaviour.

Anyone who approves of that sort of behavior should be seeking professional help.
    actually most people I know who support Trumpy approve of his POLICIES not "behavior" ... but that's what Democrats tried to do last election.... turn the Presidential election into a Little Miss Manners Contest... and they almost won, a sad commentary on the intellectual state and direction of nearly 1/3rd of the American populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    speaking of "sorts of behavior" and making fun of people with mental or physical illness "seeking professional help" seems the Libs here and Trumpy have more in common than they would like to admit

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Bobby's - do you fancy Hillary or something? You can't seem to stop saying her name.
    Do you say her name in your sleep too?

Even back during the campaign, when people said, “He doesn’t expect to win.”, or, “He doesn’t really want to win.”, i’d think: “How can you say that? He answers every challenge, he covers every issue, he’s spending his own money, making half a dozen speeches a day, nearly every day. If he doesn’t want to win, he’s doing it wrong.”

It’s the same now, when they say he’s all frazzled and ready to get out. Then you see him, energetic, positive, a commanding presence, but still has that comfortable connection with the people, that won him the election. It’s the anti-Trump, Trump-hating liberals that come across as discombobulated. And Trump’s already got his re-election campaign set up, while the dimocrats are mostly floundering and broke, trying to find an issue to campaign on. Hoping the degenerating Muler investigation will bail them out.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Jesus would say, 'hate the sin, love the sinner'. And that is an admirable approach no matter what your spiritual beliefs.

But Jesus had a different approach to sinners who used their positions of power to do ill.

If any of you can manage to love... or pity... or feel empathy for this man who has already done such damage, and is shaping up to do much more, accelerating the downward spiral, at a time when we needed - desperately needed - to reverse that spiral?

If you can do that? Then I salute you. And I ask that you do so at the same time that you put your all into moving him AWAY from the levers of power.

Personally - I can understand the empathy. But my first priority is to stop the bleeding. If this poor damaged man is destroyed in the process... that's a tragedy. One I'm perfectly willing to live with. Hopefully, he can be moved out without such drama... but his psyche may not allow it. Once his removal is accomplished... I can give more thought to his soul, or his emotional health. He'll certainly have my thoughts and prayers.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    This is learned behavior. Mean and sadistic behavior learned from his father and put into practice as a young "enforcer" for his father's real estate interests.

David, believe me, feeling sorry for him doesn't diminish in the slightest my desire to get him far, far, far away from any kind of power. I just imagined him sitting up late at night, thinking about how all of his attorney's papers are in the hands of very smart and utterly implacable fellows at the FBI, and a little bit of insight filtering in that he hasn't got a f***ing clue what to do . . . but maybe he's incapable of that, and there's nothing left but rage and bluster and desperate self-aggrandizement. Not pretty either way.

I'm not sure a lack of empathy is leaned behavior, or at least not entirely. There's a complex interaction between the genetically-controlled aspects of the physical brain and the effects of what happens to you - but it hardly matters at this point.

Several people have made good points about his desire for revenge. I think I was too kind saying he doesn't usually hurt people deliberately; sometimes he does. It's a particularly loathsome aspect of his personality.

And the defenses posted, I'm going to assume by people who are not sociopaths, and would be horrified if a friend, co-worker, or family member behaved like Mr. Trump, are . . . interesting. I'm learning a fair amount about how people can tolerate, and even support, horrible political leaders. It's not pleasant to watch.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    You are doing beautifully.
    He is. I imagine Bluey dressed up as a southern belle enjoying the sound of her voice while tut tutting about the folks on the other side of the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Not one mention of policy even though there is great news on jobs, NK, people are being returned, the econemy, is great.

A observer would notice its a complete case of TDS.
    1, this was obama
    2, he’s being played
    3, people were taken under his watch,
    4, obama again
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Even back during the campaign, when people said, “He doesn’t expect to win.”, or, “He doesn’t really want to win.”, i’d think: “How can you say that? He answers every challenge, he covers every issue, he’s spending his own money, making half a dozen speeches a day, nearly every day. If he doesn’t want to win, he’s doing it wrong.”

It’s the same now, when they say he’s all frazzled and ready to get out. Then you see him, energetic, positive, a commanding presence, but still has that comfortable connection with the people, that won him the election. It’s the anti-Trump, Trump-hating liberals that come across as discombobulated. And Trump’s already got his re-election campaign set up, while the dimocrats are mostly floundering and broke, trying to find an issue to campaign on. Hoping the degenerating Muler investigation will bail them out.
    I agree, basically. Liberals as a group cannot articulate a philosophical basis for their opposition -- separation of powers, rule of law, universal human rights, etc. They seem to feel that the heaviest charge that can be brought is that Trump is ill-mannered, boorish, unrefined. It's no wonder that such accusations, coming from such an unprincipled, shallow, snobbish source are seen as the very marks of his trustworthiness.

But "commanding presence", wow. Like Caligula? Hitler? Stalin? The love of commanding is the corruption of the soul.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

They seem to feel that the heaviest charge that can be brought is that Trump is ill-mannered, boorish, unrefined.
    Nah. Those are just the ones that get a lot of airtime, and thay don't take a lot of explanation or thought; pornstars sell papers, real or metaphorical The serious charges are more complicated, and are coming out more slowly. All of Michael Cohen's records are now in the hands of highly-professional and implacable fellows at the FBI who are not willing to overlook crimes for political reasons.

Liberals as a group cannot articulate a philosophical basis for their opposition -- separation of powers, rule of law, universal human rights, etc.
    You apparently haven't been paying attention.

Richard Feynman

pornstars sell papers, real or metaphorical
    So Trump sells papers?
    That's not the only problem, I'm not sure what he does should even be called "porn"...

Current events regarding NK have nothing to do with Trump.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Nah. Those are just the ones that get a lot of airtime, and thay don't take a lot of explanation or thought; pornstars sell papers, real or metaphorical The serious charges are more complicated, and are coming out more slowly. All of Michael Cohen's records are now in the hands of highly-professional and implacable fellows at the FBI who are not willing to overlook crimes for political reasons.

You apparently haven't been paying attention.
    Criminal prosecution is not a remedy for political failure. Who stated the Democratic case for impeachment, when, and what was it?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Actually, the charges of his behavior are some of the most serious IMO. The terms ill mannered, boorish, unrefined are woeful understatements with regards said behavior. The infamous video where he talked about grabbing women's genitals, his words after Charlottesville, his making fun of a disabled reporter, his lying, cheating on his wives, bankruptcy results, extreme bragging, etc:. all of these go well beyond boorish, they illustrate extreme character flaws.