Thread: Hammond organ--Jim Alfredson

Default Hammond organ--Jim Alfredson

Fellow Michigander Jim Alfredson, one of the best organ guys out there, and a super nice fella. I saw him play at the Northport, MI arts festival last year and he was kind enough to give me pointers on dialing in my Ventilator ll Leslie pedal.

I'd be happy to be half the player he is.

Jeff C

Default Re: Hammond organ--Jim Alfredson

Love that B3 sound. Bet he appreciates not having to lug the real thing to gigs!

The Maestro:

No doubt! It's a great time to be a musician--I can remember buying my Yamaha electric grand back in the 1970's...heavier than hell, and it cost more than my car! Now you can buy a $149.99 keyboard that sounds better.

Jeff C

need to get him to Atlantic City to try his hands on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wOqzkO14Y
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of Strength"

-Edmund Burke

Ive always had a liking for Jimmy Smith's work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVx2FxkkzUA

In my next life, im gonna be a classical organist. Ain't got time to build the chops in this life, but wow. I've had the great privilege to know and hear some amazing organists, and the repertoire when played by a top flight performer on a superior instrument... is awe inspiring.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I saw Marie Claire Alaine playing in Notre Dame in Paris. Serendipity as it happened, I was just passing through in a canoe and stopped for lunch.
    Same way I heard Sir William McKee playing at Canterbury Cathedral, I was just a tourist that overstayed closing time.

But the very first LP record I ever bought was Bach's C major fantasia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyQOt8QwTo

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Love that B3 sound. Bet he appreciates not having to lug the real thing to gigs!

The Maestro:
    Booker T. Love him, and Green Onions is one of my favorites. Nothing like the sound of tone wheels and tubes (sorry Norman). I could have brought the C3 (same as a B but with a "modesty" panel under it and some cabinet sculpting) home from the roller rink when it folded but the wife said it was too big. So I still have tone wheels and tubes, just in a smaller L model.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Booker T. Love him, and Green Onions is one of my favorites. Nothing like the sound of tone wheels and tubes (sorry Norman). I could have brought the C3 (same as a B but with a "modesty" panel under it and some cabinet sculpting) home from the roller rink when it folded but the wife said it was too big. So I still have tone wheels and tubes, just in a smaller L model.
    There's nothing like having to rent a truck to carry your gear to a gig

Jeff C

The ability of modern electronics to emulate seemingly anything, is quite amazing! In deference to you, Bob, I am not arguing that SOME people can't hear and appreciate the difference in the sound, between a modern emulation, and the 'tonewheels and tubes' of the original Hammond organs.... but I seriously doubt that more than 1% could tell the difference, in a double-blind test.

Of course, I came of a musical age, in my teens, back in the mid to late 60's. The local rock n' roll bands I competed with, if they had a keyboard at all, used a Farfisa or Panther organ... truly primitive, of course... and that was so long ago, the 'Farfisa' sound is actually trendy again
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    There's nothing like having to rent a truck to carry your gear to a gig

Jeff C
    Nah, just be a huge success and let your roadies handle it! I was surprised last month at the Jimmy Buffet concert to see a B 3 on stage.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Rapha Dantop

Jeff C

Now that rocked. Whoa. Love the expressions on the drummer's face too. To my ear the Organ was brilliant, but the electronic drumkit's cymbals just don't cut it. I'm spoiled, though, living with a drummer and essentially in the hometown for Sabian.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Great stuff. It just needs a few choruses by James Carter.