Thread: Plans for a 'Beer Beach Boat'

Default Plans for a 'Beer Beach Boat'

Hi All, I've been lurking here for a few years while the vicissitudes of life take their course and might eventually leave me in a place where I've decided what boat to build and have the means to do it...

Anyway, in this month's Small Boats Monthly the Beer Beach Boat really caught my attention because:

1) It's local (as in UK local!) but probably just as suitable for Scottish waters
    2) It's the right size to build in my garage or future planned (small) workshop
    3) It has some protection from the elements for a family day on the water without being too complex on the superstructure requirements.
    4) Low powered inboard diesel
    5) I love the looks!

Can anyone point me towards plans for the home builder to make a boat like this, please? Something around 16' to 18'

Pretty much all the plans I've been contemplating have been plywood based or cold moulded. The Beer Beach Boat in question was larch planked. I think my preferred build technique would be glued lapstrake ply.

If I were to build such a boat it would likely spend most of its time on a trailer and be taken to wherever I fancied a day or two on the water.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Plans for a 'Beer Beach Boat'

Fabulous launch but a glace through the article shows why, absent being in a boat building school, this sort of thing is unlikely to be a happy experience fof the first time builder. She's a lot of boat requiring many hours of hard work. And as you can glean from the misplacement of the engine, there are engineering issues that it's nice to get right in the first place.

There are many older wooden launches around that for a bit of cash and hard work can get you puttering about the water much sooner. If you start looking that direction, try to pick up friends who can help you distinguish between a readily restorable project and an epic horror.

G'luck

Thanks for the thoughts Ian.. I didn't want to have too long winded a first post or I would have said the build is my primary attraction to wooden boat building, not a hurry to get on the water. But the end result, to be worthwhile I think, would need to be enough boat for a family of 4 plus dog. I don't believe restoring an older one would give me the same satisfaction.

The article mentions another design around the 16' size which would be more what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Fabulous launch but a glace through the article shows why, absent being in a boat building school, this sort of thing is unlikely to be a happy experience fof the first time builder. She's a lot of boat requiring many hours of hard work. And as you can glean from the misplacement of the engine, there are engineering issues that it's nice to get right in the first place.

There are many older wooden launches around that for a bit of cash and hard work can get you puttering about the water much sooner. If you start looking that direction, try to pick up friends who can help you distinguish between a readily restorable project and an epic horror.

G'luck

I thought the OP title was referring to something like this:

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I admire your spirit. Get some boatbuilding books and start collecting clamps.

It could be that you would like to eschew plywood flat bottomed easily built and want a little spirit. It's not a British design but 'Tanja' ia a nice 16' 10" Utility by William & John Atkin that has the look you're after.

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/Tanja.html

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

“ Beer” is a place?
    Davidek, before you get too deep into the romance of toolin around in a diesel launch all day, try it.
    Its difficult to find small smooth quiet diesels .
    I have found that the smaller the diesel, the more noise it makes.
    Perhaps you have an elegant small antique mill in mind?

as per the suggestion above, definely have a browse thru the Atkin plans page

heres a ply-on-frame design I have always fancied.
    http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/MoToSkiff.html

the happy clam is quite interesting too. lapstrake, 20mph on 10hp
    http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/HappyClam.html

fisher has some nice looking lil launches too
    http://www.selway-fisher.com/Mc1620.htm

Could be built as an outboard powered model, too: https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...nch-design-228

Similar, smaller outboard motor arrangement: https://store.gartsideboats.com/coll...out-design-204
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

If your heart is set on that boat, contact these people https://www.boatbuildingacademy.com/...lasdair-grant/ and offer to buy the lines and scantlings table.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Having said that the build is the main attraction for me, that's not to say I want to undertake a traditional build. What I had in mind was if anyone could think of a modern design that captures the spirit of the highlighted Beer Beach Boat but also comes with building plans rather than just a set of lines.

At the risk of seeming to veer off course a bit... i keep looking at Sam Devlin's 22' Surf Scoter but know that is too big to be realistic, even his 19' Dipper is too much to take on 'for the fun of building something'. Lately I've been seriously considering his Candlefish designs either 13' or 16', but I just don't see that type of boat getting as much use because I won't be able nip on the water for an hour or two, whereas a small boat with a little bit of shelter opens up the possibility of exploring some of the canals, or lochs, or even firths taking a full day or more.

Gartside #204 is closest to what I had in mind of the suggestions so far...

thanks to all who have replied!
    Last edited by davidek; 05-08-2018 at 04:16 PM.