Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luanch Trolley Ideas, Anyone?

Default Re: Luanch Trolley Ideas, Anyone?

The port wheel is red. Shouldn't the starboard wheel be green?
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Hi Gypsie

Looks good. The trolley looks to be heading in the right direction. A couple of thoughts:

1. I know these are the wheelbarrow wheels that you have, but you might want to consider sourcing wider wheels for across the soft sand. The wheels I use are 123 mm across the tyre carcass. At the very minimum, keep the axel long enough to accept wider wheels in the future if these narrow wheels prove too difficult to pull across soft sand. You might also want to consider plastic centred wheels so that they do not rust.

2. Have you considered how the boat will sit on the trolley right side up? Without having seen the boat in the flesh, it seems that the bow is a lot higher than the front of the trolley which may make the stern too close to the ground. It could be just a visual illusion from the photo.

3. How are you planning to attached the axel? That is a stainless steel axel right?

4. I reckon you might have trouble keeping the axel plank in place sitting on its end like that. The leverage of pulling the wheels over uneven surfaces is likely to torque off the axel plank. I would recommend keeping the axel closer to the A-frame rails.

I look forward to seeing the next version. :-)

Rex.
    Last edited by rex_wolfe; 05-12-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Mocked something up on the boat last night.

Attachment 15839

I'll work with that i think.

Attachment 15840

Two cross pieces, one at the back and one to support the front.
    I'll have a pad each side of the keel on each cross piece.
    I did try a plank lengthways between the cross pieces, but the rocker would just make it rock...

Attachment 15841

Thanks for the inspiration Rex, cometh the challenge, cometh the man.
    I'd work on generally reducing the height of everything. With the set up you have now yo'd have to be in deep water to float the boat on.

Thanks guys, My axle is a temporary one i think. I want to prove the model so to speak.
    The boat should sit level - to the center thwart i believe. Which will have the bow and stern about the height.
    I've changed the axle support during the building process so not as high, but i'll still need about 30cm to 40cm of water to float it off. Which is about right for where i am launching.

Assembled the parts as they came together.
    I appreciate Rex's idea about gluing everything so i will, but there will be 6 heavy duty, roofing, screws on the frame. The four on the A frame, holding the cross pieces will be covered by timber epoxied in place.

IMG_4685.jpg

Mistakes were made, Lessons learned.

I notched out the front of the A frame to take the handle. Not my finest hour but fine, the thickened epoxy will look after the gaps. The sticking out bits are to be cut off once final assembly is complete and before final coat of epoxy.

IMG_4686.jpg

However, by handle, once installed was clearly never going to do the job. the forces of pulling the trolley, with all of its laden weight, will be transferred through that join. It became completely apparent once i assembled the parts on the boat itself and visualised the thing in action.

IMG_4691.jpg

Remade that so it has a more substantial join, and i will augment it when assembles with something to counter the leverage aft of the part that protrudes through the bottom of the join.

IMG_4693.jpg

Its not apparant form that picture, but the handle is a piece of 95x45 DF, tapered to 45x45 at the top.
    Gives a far more reassuring join at the A Frame.

IMG_4694.jpg
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

Added a handle to the top of the handle.... Once a mate loaned me a 25mm bit. 2 hardware shops, both out of every kind of 25mm hole saw/bit.

IMG_4696.jpg

Some back stops for under the rear of the A Frame to stop the axle torquing off.

IMG_4695.jpg

OH! and the axle; the original mock up was only for layout, i had intended to follow Rex's boxed in idea.
    My thinking is the wheelbarrow wheels may be temporary - i found one and the other was a cheap purchase, so i'm not going to lose sleep if they don't work out.
    The axle rod likewise is a piece of steel i have lying around so i'm treating it as disposable.

So the axle box needs to dismantle.
    Its epoxied inside and will be outside. the axle rod is kep centered by a screw in the middle but its not glued in. It is however extremely snug, i had to use clamps to push it home. I've used 6mm ply for the underside which has been epoxied in place. when i need to change it i'll just plane that off.

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

That whole assembly is 65mm wide and about 75mm high. The axle centers at about 60mm from the top.
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.

The angle of the A Frame was a little arbitrary.
    i thought, either directly under the points of greatest load - or to the ends of the axle.
    in the end i picked an angle that was somewhat pelasing to the eye for a reference. It turned out to be exactly 20 degrees. Then i thought through that setting my saws and things up for compound or bevel cuts is simply 10 degrees - easy. So i went with that.

My guess is that the rear cross piece is a little behind the unladen center of gravity of the boat so she should sit into the trolley nicely.
    once the battery is placed forward of center she'll be firmly there.

The handle - for reference - is 80cm long and at an angle to match the bow transom of about 30 degrees. So it'll be a smidgen lower than 80cm when in use. The handle will be a comfortable lift height and with me holding it in a standing position she'll easily float free of the ground. My boys may find it trickier.

IMG_4692.jpg

Everything disassembled and coated with epoxy.

IMG_4697.jpg

Not many components really. She's a very comfortable lift when assembled, even with wheels on.
    There is a gnarly not on the SB side of the trolley near the handle. I'm thinking i might support over that. I put the knot on the upper face thinking the weight would put the underside in flex and so it'd be stronger. But thinking about the forces when pulling, that point may actually experience upward pressure as the handle torques forward.
    Perhaps support above there, rather then underneath.....?

Looks like the trolley is progressing well Gypsie. I would definitely include some braces on the handle join to the A-frame. Also make sure that you leave enough space for the centre runner plus whatever foam/marine carpet you are going to place on the bunks.

Rex.

You might also consider cutting the slots for the runner at an angle so that it is self centring as you pull the boat onto the trolley. Rex.