Thread: Help ID this boat

Default Help ID this boat

Hello,

I'm hoping the good minds here can help steer me on course to identifying a recently purchased sailboat. I live in Vancouver (CA) and have sailed the Coast Salish Territory since childhood and have always admired the old boats. Of course I'd like to know as much as possible since I'm fairly new to this, but for the purposes of this post I'd like to see if anyone knows anything about the design(er) or build(er). Any terminology that would help me speak about it's features are most welcomed!

Here is what I know:

Builder: Richard Jones (recently passed, former Shipwright at Manly Shipyards, now Manly Marine, New Westminster, BC)
    Built Date: roughly 1985-90
    Design Date: possibly 1930's ??
    Construction: Carvel, Fir on Oak, Sitka spars, canvas over ply deck, white oak elsewhere, aluminum centreboard
    Size: 16' , ~5' beam
    Rig: Sloop (no insignia on mainsail)

This is Richards fourth small home build. Whereabouts of the others are unknown.
    Looking forward to any insight!
    Marc

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg
    Last edited by Parc; 05-06-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Default Re: Help ID this boat

With those steam bent ribs I would say it is a Atkins design.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Do you have mast and sails? What type of rig, and specifically is there an insignia on the mainsail?
    -Dave

No insignia, 20' slotted mast has a 1' extension atop which makes me think the mast was extended to fit an available sail.
    btw, the boom is also slotted and extends to be inline with the transom...
    Last edited by Parc; 05-06-2018 at 09:01 PM.

An Atkin "Sanderling" perhaps with a nice deck added? http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Sanderling.html Very petty boat, whatever it proves to be!

Yah, that looks pretty close! Having a look through Atkin's plans as per Donald's suggestion, I thought the bow-stern line looked more bowed (scooped?) than this boat (having a rather flat line bow-to-stern). Perhaps the result of scaling up and or a slight modification to the length of the ribs? The Sanderling 14' is darn close.

Also interesting after reading the description, the boat has a problem with a wringing centreboard trunk (I presume) and is leaking about 4 litres/hr (about a gallon/hr) at the base of the trunk. The bulkheads that support the floor are butted to it, and its forward edge is tied between the boards that run through deck to form the tabernacle. At the base of the forward edge is the centreboard pivot point. It all seems very solid. But throw in the mainsheet forces and twist the upper aft corner, and I can start to see why the seal failed...the trunk is coming out for a proper fix, but thats another post.

Being a shipwright by trade, and this being his fourth small boat, it's probable he tweaked the design however it started...now I'm more curious about the first three boats!
    Last edited by Parc; 05-07-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Didn't you say it measured out at 16'? If he stretched a Sanderling and didn't increase any of the scantlings it could have affected the torsional rigidity some resulting in the "wringing". Should be easy enough to brace it p
    You maybe planning on a visit to PTWBF with t this summer?

I am planning a trip north to Desolation this summer, and may try to line up at least a festival or two near the end of it, perhaps all three!