Thread: I need a new stemhead tang - seeking recommendations

Default I need a new stemhead tang - seeking recommendations

I need a new stainless steamhead tang made for my 30' boat. The cool 1967 one which was on it is rusted and cracked to do impact has gone beyond use. The shop I use in the past is given me a high quote. Would like to have another recommendation or a go to guy that has aesthetics and function in mind.

thanks!
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: I need a new stemhead tang - seeking recommendations

Not going to be cheap! BTW that looks like a lot of electricity being piped aboard, is that 2 power cords I see? And is that a watch on the anchor roller? Must be a story there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Not going to be cheap! BTW that looks like a lot of electricity being piped aboard, is that 2 power cords I see? And is that a watch on the anchor roller? Must be a story there.
    It's an anchor watch. Don't you have one , Phil?

Time for a small bowsprit, tack fitting and bobstay? https://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.co...d-fittings.jpg
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

You might find that the Port Townsend Foundry has a pattern that is close to what you need. Ask for Pete if you call. That would be my first source. If not, that kind of fitting can be made up of Everdure bronze plate and is more durable than is the stainless. If you are handy with tools, it can be fabricated in the home shop by cold shaping it over wooden patterns. Silver solder will work in lieu of tig welding and is easier to accomplish than welding.
    Jay
    http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

Thanks! you solved it, I was also wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    You might find that the Port Townsend Foundry has a pattern that is close to what you need. Ask for Pete if you call. That would be my first source. If not, that kind of fitting can be made up of Everdure bronze plate and is more durable than is the stainless. If you are handy with tools, it can be fabricated in the home shop by cold shaping it over wooden patterns. Silver solder will work in lieu of tig welding and is easier to accomplish than welding.
    Jay
    http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/
    The do beautiful work. I'll call when I can. Thanks.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    it is an anchor watch! A real Panerai watch which was given to me as a gift for a job I did where I made others a load of money. Wore it all the time until I was sailing and was smacked off my arm and cracked the crystal by the anchor chain. The watch fell over the side. I dove after it and caught it. When I took it to the watch repair I gagged on the repair of $4,000. Why I was wearing it proves I am quite mentally unfit. Rather than fix it... it became my anchor watch.

since then... I became a timex guy.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-03-2018 at 01:11 PM.