Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New launchings this week from Bowdidge Marine Designs

Default Re: New launchings this week from Bowdidge Marine Designs

G'day W Grabow,
    Thanks for your kind comments.

As for the layup? Each design differs in its laminate schedule. Since we engineer all our designs to commercial class rules, whether it be ABS, Loyds or similar, the laminate schedule varies (whether it be a plywood composite or a strip plank composite) pending Displacement (at 60% load)/ Deadrise/ Speed/ Distance of the panels between the internal structure and more. So its not a "one size fits all". Every design is different.

Then....if its an offshore game boat, we then need to take into account for other factors. Such as the spike of a Marlin hitting the hull at speed as we don't want the spike penetrating the hull or, Sharks trying to bite the hull. Yes, this has already happened.

One of our clients rang me up proudly one day talking about his "trophy". Thinking he as talking about a huge fish, he commented about that he and his mate were pulling in this huge tuna, when a 18ft Tiger shark came up from behind and bit the back corner of the boat. "CRUUUUUNCH". He said you could hear the teeth grating and crunching down the hull. When they got back to shore, they checked it. No penetration into the core, just a set of HUGE cat claws down the hull. Whoa !!!

Here's an example of one of our builders who was building one of our game boats:

Recently talking with Earl, who is building the Pro Tournament 24 from the Philippines, and one of the concerns he had was the material that is available. So we talked about using different materials and in the end I mentioned about building his boat from Plywood, but strip planking it as per a normal strip plank hull using Paulownia or Western Red Cedar. His concern though was that the plywood available is absolutely rubbish. In other words, you can drive a screw into it and basically pull it out with your hands, its that weak.
    Not a problem I said, we'll engineer it differently, then let's do an impact test as per commercial standards.
    So he built a test panel, stripping a panel as per normal with the spaces between the planks, and then using the lamination schedule as per the PT 24. Now the drop test could begin.

You'll note in the test that he's using a 16 kg weight. The test itself under the standards, only requires 15 kg.
    The panel laminate thickness where the objects are hitting represents the inside of the hull which is 1.854mm thick or 3 layers of 450gm Double Bias. (The outside of the hull has 3 laminations). In this case to pass the test, the drop height need not exceed 1.4m. But in the video, you can see the weight was dropped from a height of 2m with little effect on the panel or glass and with no de-laminations.

<font color="#323D4F"><span style="font-family: &amp;amp">
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-26-2018 at 01:50 AM.

In the 2nd video below, this simulates a boat doing approx 20 kts and hitting a submerged log, shipping container or whatever with a sharp point. In order to pass this test, the claw of the hammer must not penetrate the glass. Here once again it passes easily

<span style="color: rgb(50, 61, 79); font-family: &quot;Lucida Grande&quot;, &quot;Trebuchet MS&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);">

Overall, these test show just how strong our boats are
    I'd like to thank Earl very much for the videos & the tests.
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-26-2018 at 01:51 AM.

Mark,
    2nd set of tests done. 2.5m,3.0m, and 4m. The 2.5m drop caught the panel badly on the edge of the flat, or more likely the handle. This left an indentation of .4mm about 2 inches in length. No fracturing or any sign of immediate puncture, water may get in through capiliary action I would guess. 3.m drop, a little discoulouring like bruising, nothing else. Last 2 tests at 4m drop. The weight hit the board and rebounded about 5 feet back into the air-we could not find any mark or damage. We repeated at 4m and this time the weight rebounded about 7feet up, eventually falling and fing its mark on a large flower pot. There was also a bruising mark on the board. No sign of any significant damage or breakeage of the skin. Conclusion-Amazing! bomb proof. I doupt any ordinary marlin would even scratch our hide.

Here are the vids;

Remember, we only need to drop a 15 kg weight from a height of 1.4m (4ft-7") to pass. Yet we're using a 16 kg weight. As for the box itself that the test panel is sitting on top of, the "Panel frame for holding the test panel must have an unsupported area of500 mm by 500 mm" (or 19.68" by 19.68")" as per the standards. In other words, its a box with no lid. The "lid" is the test panel

Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-26-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Here's the 2nd video

Regarding the claw hammer test-deepest indent was 0.42mm.
    Cheers Mark, this really was a worthwhile excersise, not just for confidece, but for understanding. Thanks for you help and support.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-26-2018 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks, I suspected that you recommend a substantial layup schedule. Excellent videos. Having the panels supported on grass may give a different result than wood or concrete, but the grass is probably more realistic; allowing some cushioning "give" to the impact. For me, the least enjoyable part of boat building is the sanding necessary, after multiple layers of cloth & resin, to get a beautifully smooth and fair hull surface.

If you look at the last two videos where the 16 kg (35 lbs) weight is dropped from a height of 4 metres or 13 ft, you can see that supporting box is on concrete, not grass. As for the layup for the Pro Tournament 24, yes it got a few layers of glass but these boats have a top speed of 50kts (57.5 mph or 92.6 kph.) So the pressure loads are quite high at these speeds. The test above was for the bottom plate, the topsides plate has less glass as the loads are far less
    Here's a photo of a Pro Tournament 24 as described above in those videos) on the water that was launched about a week ago. As the time he was doing sea trials, making sure everything worked (outriggers/ electronics etc), before heading out 100 miles offshore, out the the edge of the continental shelf chasing Black Marlin.

IMG_1658.jpg

With smaller boats, naturally the pressure loads are going to be quite a lot lower, so the laminate schedule is a lot less. (As a matter of interest, the loads on a flat bottom boat are a lot higher compared to a Veed hull. The greater the deadrise, the less the pressure load)

Here's a photo of our own boat (the RipTide CX-457) along side one one of our other designs..the Sea Strike 18 that one of our clients built
    Ours is the one with the skeleton fish wrap on the topsides plate

2.jpg

Here's a photo of Ians Sea Strike 18, also a first time boat builder. We were there for his first launching. Its a plywood/ composite design. Top speed... 40 kts ( 46 mph or 74 kph)

2016-10-08 10.57.34.jpg

ss18 6.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-26-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Here's a short video of his boat on the water

I can tell that you love what you do..... and get great results. My wife & I actually spent a week in Australia just last month; a great place for boating. While here in Colorado, we are waiting for the ice to melt on our mountain lakes. Keep posting here; inspiration for the rest of us.

Thanks mate.

Ice on the mountain lakes !!!....Crikey, the only ice we see where we live is the ice in our freezer or... the ice in my scotch. However, Colorado looks like a top spot for some 4x4ing. (Something we do a lot of as well)

Here's our rig... a Jeep TJ. I'm at present designing up a serious offroad camper as well, as we want to get right off the beaten track going hardcore wheeling, flexing to the max with our camper and boat in tow...Going Fishin. I may bring it out as a set of plans..don't know yet. It will be a complete composite design, including the main frame as I want it to be light.

22769980_1982610521979927_647400238145255170_o.jpg

Anyway...Last night the Visser boyz from the Netherlands posted in our Forum some launch photo's of their Sea Strike 18, which they just finished !!

Yesterday we splashed the SS18, what a boat!!
    We made 4 hours on the Suzuki, really great combination like this. This week we are planning to launch the SS official, so this week some small stuff like the antifouling, wrap and some red holders.

Really great design design Mark!

What a top photo I reckon. The money shot I reckon

IMG-20180526-WA0055.jpg

IMG-20180526-WA0071.jpg

"Until the next bite"

Mark, nice boats!
    whatever rocks your boat

G'day all,
    We just recieved some drone footage from the Visser Boyz in the Netherlands who built our Sea Strike 18 design.
    They're about to begin building our Pro Tournament 26 design ...next

Hope you enjoy it
    If you looking for more information about this plywood composite, 20 degree deadrise offshore design, why not visit our website.
    Cost to build the boat....approx $4000
    Regards
    Mark
    www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 06-26-2018 at 09:00 AM.

The Visser Boyz pushing their Sea Strike 18...TO THE MAX
    They write:

It was a north western wind force 7. With the NW wind itís the worst with the waves. When we went out, the sea's were around 2.5 meters or 8ft in height.
    Next time I would like to try with even bigger waves and also like to have a try with a breaking wave on the bow, just to see what the SS18 can handle.

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

Mark - I have been trying to research your building method. When I do a Google search, I get a lot of hits for your site, but I haven't been able to register and get access to it. I tried to contact the administrator but couldn't even get that to work. Could you please help?

Thanks,

Mike Seibert
    Barre, Vermont

G'day mike,
    Our forum is for builders only and is a PRIVATE forum. Thats why you can't find anything.
    Hope this helps