Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New launchings this week from Bowdidge Marine Designs

Default New launchings this week from Bowdidge Marine Designs

G'day all,
    Just thought I'd share a few of the latest launchings this week that our clients have built.

Camerons Gulf Explorer 16 - A plywood composite design
    (Cameron is a first time boat builder)

From This....

20245858_10154647356765846_4667323343784391306_n.jpg

26992334_10155105411610846_8513143917085217422_n.jpg

To this....

IMG_2614.jpg

GE 16 1.jpg

GE 16 3.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-02-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Default Re: New launchings this week from Bowdidge Marine Designs

Here's two interior photo's of Camerons Gulf Explorer 16

GE 16 2.jpg

Within 1/2 an hour of launching, Camerons into catching Sarataoga

IMG_2613%5B1%5D.JPG.jpg

Then we had Morgan and his Pro Tournament 21 (A strip Plank Composite design)
    Morgan is a first time boat builder

20180423_103825[1].jpg

Resized_20180423_103922_3754[1].jpg

As soon as she was launched...we're goin' fishin !!!

Resized_20171224_101204_2696.jpg

Resized_20180421_180642_9679001[1].jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-02-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Then we had Steve and his Sea Strike 18 ( A plywood composite design)
    Steve is a first time boat builder !!!

From this....

IMG_0883_zpsz0uw5yya.jpg

IMG_0898_zpswvgkxbpr.jpg

To this....

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1022 %282%29.jpg

Still a few jobs to do...like painting the sole and putting the graphics on the topsides

IMG_1023.jpg

Happy as a clam !!!

Attachment 15286

Attachment 15287

Attachment 15288
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-02-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Finally there was Jeff and his Pro Tournament 24 (A strip plank design and also a first time boat builder).
    He's heading out for some Marlin fishing this weekend to make sure everything works before he hooks up the boat to his 4x4 and travels the entire breadth of Australia (Sydney to Perth) for a HUGE Game fishing competition.
    Looking forward to those photo's, that's for sure.

Anyway, here's a sneak picture of his boat that he built, testing the out-riggers, canopy etc, making sure that everything, including the electronic's, works properly for this weekend

19EBD683-063E-4465-B23E-008C9E8120E0.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

Attachment 15290

IMG_6077.jpg

3C12F9C7-0164-4B9D-BFF3-5859272D3856.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-02-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Nice!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Great job with those first time builders! Although not a powerboat guy, I think they do look awesome.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Fantastic boats for first timers.....but what the screen?

Looks like a right distraction to keeping eyes on water, and yes i have been T-boned by a guy driving a fast boat and not paying attention, so unless that is a fancy radar with close contact alarm, i would question its placement.

Looks like a right distraction to keeping eyes on water, and yes i have been T-boned by a guy driving a fast boat and not paying attention, so unless that is a fancy radar with close contact alarm, i would question its placement.
    Thats a good comment Skaraborgcraft, but its not what you think it may be. Fishing nowadays is not about waking up on a early misty morning, digging around the garden for a few worms and casting your line over the side waiting and hoping for something to find it. Those days are long gone. Now we use fish combo units, where we actually go and find them instead. So what your looking at is a large fish finder/ side scanner/ chart plotter.

Now if your into serious fishing (as most of our clients are), we all have them. Mine is a large 9" screen on our RipTide. Using this equipment, your typically stationary or trolling between 1-9 kts (pending species and location). Your also looking at the bottom, looking for holes/ structure/ rocks and more, as these are places where fish tend to gather. You can be looking at depths from 6ft (1.8m) to 196ft (60m) and more. Another thing you look for is temp variations or boundary layers. Tuna/ marlin and other species tend to hang down just below the layer where the cold and hot water meet.

So in other words, when your out, your really watching your sounder/ side scanner as your driving around and....your going slow. (Your not doing 30 kts +)

So what is a side scanner? Unlike a traditional sounder which "pings" straight down below your boat, side scanners can be adjusted to scan 200 ft either side of your boat. So here if you have fish to one side of the boat, the traditional sounder wont pick it up whereas the side scanner will. So I might be fishing a hole that ws loaded full of fish and then suddenly on my traditional sounder, they disappear. Looking at my side scanner, I can see where they my hve moved to, so using my electric trolling motor, I follow them. You vary rarely use an anchor now except in and emergency.

Now overall you don't want to be going fast. The faster you go, the smaller the fish appear on your screen. Also you can miss any structure or whatever that may be hiding fish. This is why your always going slow as I mentioned above.

As for screen sizes, the larger the screen, the more you see, the greater the success of bringing home a feed.

As for glare.. there is none. Its no different to your GPS in your car. At night, they automatically switch to night mode, just like your car GPS does.

Here's a video of one of our builders, Adam and his Sea Strike 16 using this technology (watch for his console) and look what he caught 30nm offshore.

In summary, what we do is no different to sailing. When sailing, your scanning for other boats, looking for telltale signs of wind flowing across the water, looking at your compass, looking at your depth sounder, looking up at the sails making sure the tell tails are flowing nicely, talking with other people on board and more. When fishing, its the same but instead of looking for telltale signs of wind on the water, we're looking for birds working the water, fishing breaking the surface and instead of looking up at the sails, we're looking down under and to the side of the boat with our fish finders. And its all done slowly. Like I said...1 to 9 kts

As for that idiot who T-boned you, he wasn't fishing that's for sure. He's just an idiot

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-02-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bowdidge View Post

As for that idiot who T-boned you, he wasn't fishing that's for sure. He's just an idiot

Hope this helps
    You got that right! Yeah, thanks for that info. A driver rolled his truck on a local road as he was watching a dvd instead of the road, another idiot. The fishing game has certainly changed, im way behind the curve, thanks for the update.

Here's a really good video that explains how it all works. See how the bigger the screen , the more we see and clearer the structure becomes

I believe the word is "crikey". Thats quite incredible. Last fish finder i had anything to do with was something similar to to this...

Amazing the techno change in such a short span, and keeping it boat related, just like your ply boats are a long way from the original wood on frame. Life is good.

I remember those. I had the earlier one without the paper. A light would flash at the depth the fish were at ( LOL)
    Crikey, got some good "arcing" on that paper. If that where here in Oz, I'd be looking at some 1m+ Threadfin or tuna below the boat.
    How times have changed indeed
    Sweeet

With the version you see above, you would have noticed using the clear-vu or side scan how a "shadow" is cast . Would you believe its an actual shadow. Just by looking at the shadow and its size, will tell you how far roughy they are off the bottom. With the old traditional sounder, schools of baitfish just looks like a ball and its hard to tell if its a school or a rock. With the clear-vu and side scan, you can actually pick out every individual bait fish.
    The technology just keeps getting better and better

Here's a shot of me that my wife took last time we were out, looking at my chart plotter

20180212_191105.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-03-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Great boats Mr. Bowdidge.....would love to build one of your designs.

Thanks RMarsh.
    You can find the plans on our website at www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com
    Overall, we've got just over 5000 of our designs being built worldwide, so it great receiving photo's or watching them come together within our BMD boatbuilding club.
    Love it

curious what your sales pitch is for building vs buying a similar glass hull? is it weight, price, the satisfaction of fishing from a boat you "built your self" ?

A lot of our builders have previously been down that road.

Buy an old hull only to find out that the sole/ longitudinals/ frames and transom is rotten. So this then means it all has to be ripped out and rebuilt.

As an example, one of our builders bought a 2nd hand fibreglass boat for $9000 including outboard. After two trips, the outboard died. Took it in to the outboard crowd and found out that the outboard had been “fixed” to make a sale. It was dead. So he smacked down $6000 for another outboard. ($9000 + $6000 = $15,000)

A month later, he noticed that the sole felt a little “spongy”. A bit of a poke here and there and found out that it was rotten. Ripped it up only to discover that the longitudinals were also rotten, as were all the floors and frames. Not feeling confident enough to repair himself, he took it into a repair shop, who discovered that the transom was also rotten. $9000.
    So now he’s up to $24,000.

Happy as a clam with his “new boat”, but feeling a bit ripped off with all the monies he spent to date, off he goes fishing. On his third trip, the helm dashboard let go and here he is, driving with the steering wheel in one had flapping around at 20 kts. (Whoops) “Scary moments” he said. Finally getting home and inspecting what went wrong, he then found all the wiring was also rotten.

That’s when he just simply gave up as he realized that in the end, he could keep pouring money into the boat, but if he decided to sell it, its still just an old boat and he’ll never get his money back.
    That’s when he approached us and told us his story. (Such a common story I hear from a lot of our builders who have been down this road)

Now years ago, when we had our own boat building company, I learnt this very quickly. Buying old boats and repairing them is far more costly than building a new one from scratch. I’ve seen it so often over the years where people fall into this trap, thinking that it’s a quick and easy way to get a boat. Well… nothing could be further from the truth.

So in the end, he bought the plans for the Broadwater 5.1 and built it. Cost to build including underfloor fuel tank and painted….$4000 (Australian prices). He then pulled the 90 hp outboard of the old boat and installed this onto his new Broadwater .

Then it came time to sell the old boat, well…all he got for it was $2000.

This is why I don’t advocate buying an old boat. (Been there, done that…got the “T”-shirt) You just don’t know what’s wrong with it until later. No matter how much proding and poking you do, something always turns up down the track.

In reality, it’s better, cheaper and quicker to build a new boat from scratch and now you know every inch of that boat and ….you know its been built properly and…the boat will last for years.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Here's a link to the Broadwater 5.1 design that Hendrick built
    https://bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/broadwater-5-1/

Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-06-2018 at 08:55 PM.

So... a fella could fish out of some of your boats, eh? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

. Just a little.

Here's Hendriks mate
    28575956_10156256152359923_6248595368434871761_n.jpg

. Just a little.
    Here's Hendrick...

19642409_10155540110919923_7246520366389638802_n.jpg

Great job with all those builds! Admittedly my liking is more traditional, but they are all great looking boats.

Mark...good points regarding the perils of buying a used boat. I built an 18' center console plywood boat from scratch 6 years ago and did all the rigging myself. Having first hand knowledge of every square inch of the boat from bow to stern including mechanical and electrical is great and was very educational for me. I haven't spent a single dollar to fix or repair anything. As you know these boats need way less horsepower than a fiberglass boat of the same size. Guys I talk to at the launch are always amazed that a 60 hp outboard gets me over 30 mph, and on average 6 gal. of fuel for an all day excursion.
    Also your website is very well done...keep up the great work!

Thanks for your kind commens Rmarsh.
    Yes, in regards to your comments about fibreglass boats, I totally agree about being to heavy and yes, a lot of our clients also get hammered about..."How do you go so fast with so little Hp?"

That boat "Outcast" as you see above in the very first post, with his 50hp outboard, he gets 30 kts or 35 mph.

He was question yesterday about his performance figures by other members of our boat building club

He wrote:

Thanks for the comments guys. Still playing with props atm. Whatever prop I put on though, the motor launches the boat out of the hole. The motor is still tight, so final performance may slightly improve.

-one person no extra gear +50L fuel
    14inch alloy prop
    top speed - 56kph/30knots/ 35 mph @ 6200rpm
    cruise - 34kph/17.8knots/ 21 mph @ 4300rpm

-one person, trolling motor + lithium battery, couple of rods/tackle bags etc +40-50L fuel
    15inch alloy prop (Looks light a small amount of cup??)
    top speed - 55kph/29.6knots/ 34 mph @ 5600rpm
    cruise - 41kph/22.1knots / 25.4 mph @ 4300 rpm

-2 adults, 1 small child, trolling motor, clothes/food etc for day +50L fuel
    14inch stainless solas with too much cup
    Top speed - 50kph/27knots / 31 mph @ 5400rpm
    cruise - 42kph/22.6knots / 26 mph @ 4300rpm

No fuel figures yet till I mount the lowrance and hook into the nmea2000 network. Putting the Garmin first this arvo for its juicy side scanning

Once his motor gets to around 20 hours, it will loosen up and his RPM will go up by around 250-300 RPM (4 strokes out of the box are always too tight. Hence the run in period).

Effective enough boats but perhaps sailing a bit close to the wind re forum requirements.....

Well I see your point but I'm grateful Mark comes on the forum now and again. The boats are superb, always look so professional and I think Mark should rightly show them off, as they stick to their own forum.

Mark,

Of your designs what would be your pick (for protected inshore chop) to make use of a power trim/ tilt 25 Honda triple four stroke I've got that I need to fit a boat to? Most seem to be optimised around a bit less or a bit more. Prefer to be sat center console style.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.

G'day Edward,
    Sorry for the delay in responding, In regards to your question, all of our centre console designs are above 25 Hp.

Thought I'd just post an update on Anthony's Sea Strike 18 which he recently built and launched:

Another milestone achieved late yesterday. First day offshore and the sea was almost flat as a tack managed to get out to my old #1 fishing spot. Located the old trawler wreck in 100 odd meters of water, set up my drift, baited the hook dropped them in. "BANG".. on the money first drop, we finished up with.... 1 Kingfish 9 kg ( 20 lbs) , 1 Amberjack 10 kg ( 22 lbs) , 1 cracker of Pearl perch !!

We were totally smashed and unable to lift 4 other hits off the wreck and...we had only been fishing for less than 40 minutes !!

Made the trek back to Mooloolaba at full throttle as the winds had dropped off again to about 5 knots, very pleasant afternoon.

Then went home to clean up the catch.

I've still got quite a bit of work to go into the boat, Bow rails, Floor covering, a bit of upholstery... maybe ( for the missus ).

Happy days every one

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

Congrats to Anthony! He has done an outstanding job with your Sea Strike 18 design Mark!
    Whats the horsepower of the Mercury ob?

Its a 150Hp RMarsh
    Overall it gives a top speed of 39 kts ( 45 mph or 72 kph), however top speed isn't important here, cruising speed is.

This means by throttling right back to around 4000 rpm, you get a cruising speed of between 24 kts to 26 kts ( 27 mph/ 44.5 kph - 30mph/48 kph ), maximizing his fuel efficiency and.. without straining the motor.
    Its simply purring along.

Talking with him yesterday, I had the biggest grin on his face, I can tell you

Here's a couple of photo's of his roll over day, taken not long ago

IMG_0883_zpsz0uw5yya.jpg

IMG_0892_zpssvljdq6s.jpg

IMG_0905_zpsfdxdjgbz.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.

We've got two more new launchings about to happen, this time in Europe.

Conrads RipTide XR-457 (Malta) - A first time boat builder
    Looking forward to LAUNCH day !!!

20170530_1641131_zpsbjk6olfp.jpg

20170530_1652021_zps3cgml3tj.jpg

20170530_1738221_zpsudqhg1je.jpg

20180512_080419.jpg

20180512_080450.jpg

Wow! Great pictures...interesting shot with the hull verticle. Conrad may be a first time "boat" builder...but looking at that workshop leads me to believe he has built a thing or two before.....and that paint job is top notch.
    Just a comment about the bow roller....wouldn't it be better to have it above the bow eye, with the strap under the roller, preventing the hull from riding up the roller?

Conrad is actually a cabinet maker.
    He did mention to us that this whole thing of making curves (strip planking) is a totally new concept to him and his workmates. They used to building square objects. This is why we have our own Private Boatbuilding club. This way we can help our builders throughout the entire build and show them the various process from start to finish. ( Before I did my Naval Architect degree, we had our own boat building company where we used to build recreational and commercial boats up to 60 ft in length. After 27 years of building though, I got tired of it and got into designing instead)

Here's a photo of his RipTide taken earlier in is build

20161115_1956381_zpsmjvejkz6.jpg

20170201_1951291_zpsm7tfk7fa.jpg

20170310_1843481_zpstensdju4.jpg

20170405_1944441_zpsyjfptwwd.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 05-24-2018 at 06:46 AM.

As for the bow roller and it being below the eye bolt. Well... initially I had mine above and it caused all sorts of drama's when winching. The eye bolts itself, you want in direct alignment longitudinally thru the Centre of gravity of the boat. This way its a direct pull up and onto the trailer or ...if your motor konks out and you need a tow, your pulling or towing through the COG of the boat. So whether the winch post roller is above or below doesn't matter. I just found for our own boat, the roller is better below. Don't forget, when trailering you always strap the rear of the boat anyway. As for bow, this too needs to be straped down as well to a link near the bottom of your winch post
    Here's a picture of mine
    Hope this helps

Attachment 16478

Keep showing us your designs/creations; you have some beautiful boat designs and talented builders. Always great to read about. What sort of layup, layers of cloth and resin, do you typically do over the wooden hull form?