Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Some sailing ships, looking right...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    23,138

    Default Some sailing ships, looking right...

    My favourite ship of all time, the SALAMIS:







    Thompson’s Aberdeen Line, dark green hull, red antifouling, white boot top, cream spars.

    The BIG ONE, the PREUSSEN, F.Laeitz’s Flying P Line, black hull, red antifouling, white boot top,



    And this one is the TORRENS, commanded by Captain Joseph Conrad:



    ”ruddy Poles, coming over here and improving our literature...” ��
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7,258

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    And this one is the TORRENS, commanded by Captain Joseph Conrad:

    ”ruddy Poles, coming over here and improving our literature...” ��
    ^
    Great photos Andrew, thanks.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    23,138

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    Better have the THERMOPYLAE:



    built by Walter Hood of Aberdeen for the Aberdeen Line, designed by Bernard Weymouth, an amateur designer whose day job was Secretary of Lloyd’s Register of Shipping:
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    20,194

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    One of my favourite books is "A million miles in Sail" by John Herries McCulloch, about Captain C.C. Dixon. Captain Dixon apologises for he hyperbole in the title, because he'd only sailed a million statute miles, and not a million nautical miles.

    Here is his ship the Elginshire.

    Elginshire.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    71,357

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    Ruth.

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sydney OZ.
    Posts
    12,382

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    Should have called her "Heart of Darkness"
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    My favourite ship of all time, the SALAMIS:







    Thompson’s Aberdeen Line, dark green hull, red antifouling, white boot top, cream spars.

    The BIG ONE, the PREUSSEN, F.Laeitz’s Flying P Line, black hull, red antifouling, white boot top,



    And this one is the TORRENS, commanded by Captain Joseph Conrad:



    ”ruddy Poles, coming over here and improving our literature...” ��
    Xanthorrea

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Olympia, WA, USA
    Posts
    1,999

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    Zowie! Look at that entry! You could cut yourself on it!

    *Very* nice.

    Alex

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Auckland ,N.Z.
    Posts
    24,780

    Default Re: Some sailing ships, looking right...

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Better have the THERMOPYLAE:



    built by Walter Hood of Aberdeen for the Aberdeen Line, designed by Bernard Weymouth, an amateur designer whose day job was Secretary of Lloyd’s Register of Shipping:
    Family legend has a link to the designer. They were boatbuilders here .
    I seem to recall Thermopylae was recognisable at sea by her particularly long yards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •