Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't ever do for a man what he is able to do for himself.

Default Re: Don't ever do for a man what he is able to do for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    "Have we established whether that's murder? I'm having trouble keeping track." [#23]

Maybe for certain confused literalists who falsely use the term "onanism" for masterbation.

Genisis 38:9-10
    " . . . when he [Onan] went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. . . And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.

Not an easy bit to exegete for the Sunday sermon.
    Time for a musical interlude.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    And maybe good for the gene pool, too.
    Certainly couldn't hurt.
    Nosce te ipsum

I also believe in sharing tasks, however I think it's impossible for men to fold fitted sheets, I avoid it by just putting the newly laundered sheets right back on the bed.

Then there's yoga, I'm quite an aficionado. When the instructor says something like "your elbows should be parallel to your knees, only women understand it, I'm lost in a Euclidian morass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I also believe in sharing tasks, however I think it's impossible for men to fold fitted sheets, I avoid it by just putting the newly laundered sheets right back on the bed.

Then there's yoga, I'm quite an aficionado. When the instructor says something like "your elbows should be parallel to your knees, only women understand it, I'm lost in a Euclidian morass.
    Don't worry about it. Nobody can fold fitted sheets.

On the subject of yoga, I am bereft of all knowledge.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Don't worry about it. Nobody can fold fitted sheets.
    I am reminded of this, wherein the claim "I can fold a fitted sheet" would not be out of place:

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Gallagher
    I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I’m bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don’t perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

What are you doing about it?

My only use of an iron in the last decade has been welding plastic sheet to form a tube to steam bend timber.

DSCN3065 - Copy.jpg

"Have we established whether that's murder? I'm having trouble keeping track." [#23]

Maybe for certain confused literalists who falsely use the term "onanism" for masterbation.

" . . . when he [Onan] went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. . . And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.

I don't read the bible, but that sounds to me like he's screwing his sister in law, but withdraws before orgasm to avoid getting her pregnant. Not masturbation.

I haven't looked at one for a long time either. Depends on whether his brother was still alive at the time I think. Families took on responsibility for widows and their children of other family members.

Phil Y, as you read in my post, certainly not masterbation. The sin was the disobedience of spilling his sin on the ground. That was generalized to masterbation even though most of us miss the ground and hit our own bellies.

Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Next time my neighbour needs a hand I'll tell him that Ismael said he should do it himself.

You got a psych problem Ish?

that's not what Ish said... but you knew that, didn't you. (speaking of psych problems)

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    It doesn't mean you don't help your fellow when they are in need. Not one bit.

Hidden in ishmael's bit is the judgement of the poignent poor versus the greedy needy. It's a remarkably stupid judgement to presume to make. That's why real christians leave it to God.

Usually I'm the reverse, I never pay someone to do what I can do myself. But some societies frown on that; "It's his ricebowl." - The Sand Pebbles (1966)
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Usually I'm the reverse, I never pay someone to do what I can do myself. But some societies frown on that; "It's his ricebowl." - The Sand Pebbles (1966)
    The master of your own domain?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

OTOH I'm smart enough to iron silk shirts without leaving creases. Even do my lady's when required.

When I did any ironing, my dear husband used (hopefully) to hang some freshly laundered but unironed shirts in my line of sight. Occasionally, their pathos prevailed. Maybe I should have left them alone told him I was only trying to help him grow.......I'm sure he would have been grateful
    Xanthorrea

The Scots term it Onan in the gloamin"

Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The master of your own domain?
    *slaps money on table* "I'm out!"
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I have one white shirt a Filson, that should be ironed but isn't, and I love my Mouli grater.

And everyone knows what frigging in the rigging is, hence the term, one hand for the ship...

Don't worry about it. Nobody can fold fitted sheets. .
    SWMBO can fold the little bastards with un-nerving aplomb and ease, but continues to believe that she can teach the skill to poor me. I can fold money, up, the hand, toast, but damned if I can figure out what she does with those corners.

Of course, there is a corrolary: She can NEVER figue out which edge of the sheet is the "long" side when making the bed. THAT takes ME to figger out.

It balances.

As to Yoga, I'm lucky I can tie shoes. (Oh, wait. I CAN'T! That's what VELCRO is for!!)

No one can do yoga for you.

Was camping in a campground in North Maine with some friends. It was starting to Down pour so everyone left their tents in the woods and decided to rent one of the on site cabins for everyone to sleep in. I decided I'd just sleep in my car because they wanted to stay up late and I was tired from kayaking all day.

I woke up to the rain stopping and it was kind of cold in the car and I had forgotten my sleeping bag in my tent. I checked the cabin to see if there was any room left and the light was on and everyone was fast asleep (3am). I didn't want to squeeze in so I decided to trek my way to my tent in the dark with a small pen light. In order to get to my tent I had to pass by everyone's that they left. Mine was the last one and even then was 50 ft at least from the previous tent before it.

I got in my tent, covered up with my sleeping bag and prepared to catch the last few hours of sleep before sun rise. No more than 10-15 min from me getting in my tent I began to hear light whispers right out side the tent door. They weren't in English and to my recollection indecipherable ( not any language I had heard at all) . Just as the voices started, two orbs appeared together outside the tent. They weren't the same glare as a flashlight would make and both were of two different colors that to the best of my ability had no real distinct color. Just colorful.

The whispers outside the tent began arguing louder between each other, but still in a hush tone. And as the whispers grew louder, the lights began swirling around the tent. Behind me, to the side to the front. Not in the movement that one could make with flashlights and at this point I realized no footsteps could be heard.

I uncovered myself and knealt on the tent floor preparing for the zipper to come undone like in a horror movie and I was flipping through my mind on What option to take. I was the most terrified I had ever been. Fight or flight.

The lights swirled faster and the voices grew louder but still breathy and whispery. My mind raced and I was sweating despite the cold. And then, just like that the lights shut off like switch and the whispers stopped and nothing but silence of an empty wood.

I stood there as still as I could and I didn't dare go outside that tent til the sun came up. It was and still is the scariest moment of my life. I hope this makes sense. I've never written it out before. If I need to answer anything I can try in between moments at work. Interesting enough I went to a horror movie premiere recently and there was a scene that had the voices in it and goosebumps ran up my arm. It was identical.

I think it's from Jack...
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Prolly just sentient beings from another universe.