Thread: home gas welder

Default home gas welder

I have a two bottle propane oxygen welding kit... DIY stuff, not professional but actually very good.. very pleased with it ....the bottles about a litre , maybe 35 cm tall or so... propane bottle costs a couple of euros...negligeable , but the oxygen one is 35 ...25 and I left it turned on at the reglator but off at the torch and I guess it wasnt turned off tight enough and no O2 . and it it doesn't last long anyway.

Any alternatives...? maybe run a fine line from the compressor or use a small airbrush type compressor....I know its not O2 but whaddya tink ?
    a propane flame , well tuned is pretty hot anyway with just unforced air....think bunsen burner or handyman gas blowtorch... or another source of oxygen cylinders of a similar size ....35 bts seems like they are playing to a non smart crowd , which we aren't are we.... haha
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Default Re: home gas welder

if all you desire is to just warm something up goto compressed air

if you wish to join or cut metal oxygen would be my choice

just an old junior high school shop teacher's 2 worth this morning ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

It depends on how hot you want the flame. Adding more air may just blow out the propane flame. Oxygen is required to achieve the heat required to weld steel. For brazing or soldering, MAPP gas will do you better than propane for little additional money. Can you get MAPP gas? You may need a different torch.

Jeff

Dont know what mapp gas is....but point taken ...i'll experiment...... it is only for silversolder or brazing...joining bandsaw blades etc

What about another source of oxygen.... medical supplies maybe?
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Medical oxygen is expensive.

* note; Often the valve for a high pressure Oxygen bottle is a "double seat" valve. You must open it all the way and seat it open hard the same as you would turn the tank off, or the pressured gas can leak out around the stem. They are not all this way, some are only o-ring seal around the stem. Most commercial oxegen bottles in the US use this type valve.
    You can tell the difference by open-close handle. Double seat valves will have a spring mounted round knob. While the tank is off, grasp the knob/handle and lift up firmly at an angle, if it moves and springs back it is a double seat valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Medical oxygen is expensive....
    A few years ago, I was at a gas supply store getting my welding oxygen tank refilled. The guy took it out back & hooked it up to a large tank & started the fill. Another customer came in with a medical tank to be refilled & another clerk took it out back - to the exact same tank!

I checked the price & the medical tank owner paid triple what I did. I asked & was told that while the oxygen was the same, the piping for medical is different. Yeah right - I own a medical oxygen tank that I take for emergencies when diving...

To the OP: Oxygen will certainly make for a hotter flame & an O2 torch will not work well with compressed air.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I use acetylene and a turbo torch almost every day a $40 B-tank will plumb a whole house. I also have a separate regulator that fits an MC tank which is smaller great for crawl spaces and yes for some silly reason the two tanks have different fittings. Due to the cost of silver solder I now use mostly phosphor bronze for copper, I still braise steel and iron. My setup looks like this

https://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/ei...:341=0426-0011

If you do a lot of iron or steel I would suggest you stay with the 2 gas setup it allows you to focus the heat much more precisely and quickly, it also gets much hotter.

I've never had oxygen tanks filled, but I used to get SCUBA tanks filled frequently and CO2 for a home kegging outfit (don't forget which is which, lol) and I found that it pays to shop around and get to know the guys at the store. Prices varied wildly between shops and if they were busy and you could leave the tanks and pick them up later they would cut you a deal. The place where I got dive certified would fill them at the commercial rate because I bought equipment from them.

For Brazing Steel you will need the extra heat Oxygen gives you. You can get away with LPG rather than Acetylene which does save some cost.
    Just remember that LPG will need a different tip with lower gas velocity and is subject to blowing out in a breeze.
    Zq

I would suggest getting one of the small inverter based stick welders if you don't need to weld thick material, or get some more affordable sized bottles.

Cheers,
    Mark

Won't likely be welding steel with propane.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.