Thread: SawStop Problems?

Default SawStop Problems?

Maybe this post should be in "The Bilge," but my beloved 2006 SawStop is F-ing with me. Between one time I was in the shop and the next when I had left the main switch (not the paddle) on, I came back to find red and green blinking light error message. 1 1/2 hours with tech support in which I replaced the safety cartridge, did a bunch of other tests, and ultimately jumpered over a suspect thermistor, and no dice. I put it all back the way it was, and then: no LED's error lights or lights of any kind (???) Next day, another 45 minutes with tech support, who repeatedly assured me that jumping the thermistor couldn't possibly have burnt out anything else (?) again nothing clear, but I ended up ordering a $140 Contactor / Overload box, (plus shipping) because of a presumed burnt out contactor coil. I have been around a lot of relays and contactors in my life and have never heard of a contactor coil going out spontaneously..... Two day air freight might arrive on Monday, and I will either know if this fixed it or not.... I love the solid machinery on this tool, and I wish there was a clear way to throw one switch and remove all the fancy electronics. I worked in a high school theatre scene shop for 19 years with an old Rockwell Unisaw and no blood was ever shed on it. Meanwhile the excellent woodworker that I had previously hired for Friday ended up sweeping, not building.

URGH,

Ken

Default Re: SawStop Problems?

Ken, All I can say is that I sympathise with you!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Ken, All I can say is that I sympathise with you!
    Jay
    Thanks....

K

Aggravating, for sure. Esp. when you had help lined up. Hope it gets cleared up quickly. My experience with Sawstop tech support and customer service has been top-notch. Hope that is the case for you as well.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yes, I agree about the guys on tech support. They were amazingly patient while I ran to another building to get a voltmeter, and seemed to either know their stuff or know where to find it. I am also conscious that this machine, delivered in 2006 might have been version 1.01 of the "software" and the diagnostics may have improved since then. Having said all that, I have ordered parts and airfreight to the tune of about $200 so far and still don't have a guarantee of a working saw. I might be able to get a decent used Rockwell for a little more than that, and the only thing that could ever die would be the starting capacitor, or maybe the starting switch.....

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    Maybe this post should be in "The Bilge," but my beloved 2006 SawStop is F-ing with me. Between one time I was in the shop and the next when I had left the main switch (not the paddle) on, I came back to find red and green blinking light error message. 1 1/2 hours with tech support in which I replaced the safety cartridge, did a bunch of other tests, and ultimately jumpered over a suspect thermistor, and no dice. I put it all back the way it was, and then: no LED's error lights or lights of any kind (???) Next day, another 45 minutes with tech support, who repeatedly assured me that jumping the thermistor couldn't possibly have burnt out anything else (?) again nothing clear, but I ended up ordering a $140 Contactor / Overload box, (plus shipping) because of a presumed burnt out contactor coil. I have been around a lot of relays and contactors in my life and have never heard of a contactor coil going out spontaneously..... Two day air freight might arrive on Monday, and I will either know if this fixed it or not.... I love the solid machinery on this tool, and I wish there was a clear way to throw one switch and remove all the fancy electronics. I worked in a high school theatre scene shop for 19 years with an old Rockwell Unisaw and no blood was ever shed on it. Meanwhile the excellent woodworker that I had previously hired for Friday ended up sweeping, not building.

URGH,

Ken
    You're not the only one who has had this sort of issue. I've had to fix two and found them very frustrating. Personally, I'd strip out all the electronics and wire the motor direct to an on/off switch. Or better still, buy a saw made by MBS in Taiwan, they're sold under various brand names but are clearly recognisable if you know what you're looking for.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.