Thread: Marelon and Epoxy?

Default Marelon and Epoxy?

Has anyone intentionally tried to bond Marelon Thru-hull fittings with West Epoxy? Did it work? Wierd application, I know, but it involves a water ballast fill / dump brainstorm. I would want it to adhere in this situation.

Ken

Default Re: Marelon and Epoxy?

can you thru bolt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    can you thru bolt it?
    It's a Flush thru-hull 1/1/2" ID which I hope to permanently seal into a strip-composite hull. Flush exterior because of trailer bunks and rollers, flush on the interior to drain a ballast tank, sealed when needed with a 1.5" expanding rubber plug like a transom drain.. Nowhere to put a bolt....

Ken

I would think that '3M 5200' would be the glue of choice after scuffing up the Marelon.
    If epoxy , then I hear great things about West System's GFLEX for better bonding to difficult materials and maintaining some flexibility long term.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

I would suspect G-Flex might work well, but I'd phone the Gougeon tech staff first, just to make sure.

What you describe sounds like nothing more than a short section of pipe. Do you have a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    What you describe sounds like nothing more than a short section of pipe. Do you have a picture?
    The fantasy is to saw the fitting between the barb and the larger threads and bed the thing in the hull with significant amounts of fiber-thickened epoxy, to be flush inside and outside, and stoppered when desired with a rubber expanding plug like the transom plug on a small boat. Please tell me if this is dumb....

Marelon.jpg

It doesn't sound dumb to me, not at all, but if you can leave the beveled flange on and mortise it in flush then double down with a couple of carriage bolts you would lessen the possibility of having it work loose. I bet you're trying to avoid metals though. Maybe drill a few 1/4 inch holes thru the threads so the epoxy or 5200 can squeeze into the holes and help lock it in place? Saw kerfs across the threads would do the same thing. It won't matter so much whether the goop adheres or not that way, you'll have more of a mechanical bond.

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    The fantasy is to saw the fitting between the barb and the larger threads and bed the thing in the hull with significant amounts of fiber-thickened epoxy, to be flush inside and outside, and stoppered when desired with a rubber expanding plug like the transom plug on a small boat. Please tell me if this is dumb....

Marelon.jpg
    +1 Gib's mechanical bond comment.
    It would be difficult to find a plastic that wouldn't be nearly impossible to remove with raggedy tipped threads like those regardless of the adhesive that you bed it with. Any epoxy that will bond to the hole will lock this part in whether it adheres well to the part or not. You can always test the adhesive on the end that you cut off. Just make sure the adhesive fills the threads before you push it into the hole.
    There is a short list of filled plastics that have the strength, stiffness, lack of water absorption and bright white color. Marelon is probably a 30% glass filled PET.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Thanks to all for entertaining this "off-spec" idea!

Ken

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Can you just make a two inch hole, fill it with epoxy, and drill a one and a half inch hole in the epoxy? Eliminating the Marelon?

Yeah, and maybe chamfer a bit of the inner and outer edges of the wood before filling it, just because an end grain bond is not terribly strong or durable?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Can you just make a two inch hole, fill it with epoxy, and drill a one and a half inch hole in the epoxy? Eliminating the Marelon?
    I want the hole sides to be smooth enough that an expanding rubber stopper will make a positive seal. Though, as i process your thought, I suppose that if I could find a plug with a slight taper to use as a male mold for the interior of the hole, spray it with mold release, and..... Wait, Hmmm, I just picked up a plastic pill bottle from my desk that goes from a diameter of 2.242" at one end to 2.270 over the course of 1.5" of it's length. I had hoped for an aperture of 1.5" but I know that they make stock transom plugs for 1.25" drains....... maybe that's it? Thank you for the germinating thought!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    I want the hole sides to be smooth enough that an expanding rubber stopper will make a positive seal. Though, as i process your thought, I suppose that if I could find a plug with a slight taper to use as a male mold for the interior of the hole, spray it with mold release, and..... Wait, Hmmm, I just picked up a plastic pill bottle from my desk that goes from a diameter of 2.242" at one end to 2.270 over the course of 1.5" of it's length. I had hoped for an aperture of 1.5" but I know that they make stock transom plugs for 1.25" drains....... maybe that's it? Thank you for the germinating thought!

Ken
    Wait, bad transcription:, I put 2" and change, but it should have been 1.242 to 1.279, I don't use my vernier caliper much

Ken