Thread: I shook hands with Robin Knox-Johnson

Default I shook hands with Robin Knox-Johnson

He is in town with the Clipper Around the World Race, I was able to meet him and hear a few stories. Very cool as reading about his voyage fascinated me as a young sailor and I have an Atkin double-ended Ketch very much like his Suhaili.

I toured the Clipper race boats too. Cool in their own way, but you could certainly smell that they had just spent a month in the north pacific with a crew of soggy sailors!

Default Re: I shook hands with Robin Knox-Johnson

"Very cool as reading about his voyage fascinated me as a young sailor"

Me also. The Hare vs Tortoise aspect of that first race added to the story. I wished to be the Hare! / Jim

He made several jokes about having to do the nonstop circumnavigation before the french did. Such an interesting race, the way that turned out.

Also interesting was that he related that he lived in Merseyside as a young boy, but had to move houses after Hitler dropped a bomb on his. WWII seems so distant to me, but is certainly still within living memory for many.

he was inspiration for me when I built PEQUOT, the Atkin double ender. I wish I had kept her as she is a strong, sea worthy and kindly vessel.

I shook hands with Uffa Fox. During the 1956 Melbourne olympics. As a sea scout I was on an Australian Destroyer when immediately after a race Prince Phillip and Uffa came on board. Ligned up on the end of the crew line we saluted, we got a nod and a wave from Phillip but Uffa came down the line to us and shook our hands and said a few words. I was 13, and didn't really know too much about him then.

I have always admired his accomplishment, quite a feat.