Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saws Recommendation

Default Table Saws Recommendation

My motto is, You make your own luck, and lately I have had a little bit of bad luck with table saws. I moved into a new house about 10 months ago and, long story short, in transit ruined a pristine, two uses short of brand new, Powermatic 64 Contractor saw. Somewhat nonchalantly I had have had my eye on Craigs for a new used saw, $300 and under for contractor, $600 for a floor or hybrid floor model. I dithered about a Jet and after it was on for 23 days, I offered the guy $500 for a JT 10 and he said he had just sold it for that. I then missed a Delta Professional Industrial (don't know what model) also pristine, for $150. This morning I am eyeing a Dewalt DW 746 which I think I can pick up for $300--a little more than I want to spend on a used contractor saw--or an older, beat up looking Grizzly floor model for $400. I am not thrilled about either one, too much. I prefer the solid base and angle accuracy of the floor models (like a unisaw) but I now have little space left and I really need to be able to roll the saw onto a porch and out of the weather when not in use, and that means the floor models won't do that (up a couple of little stair steps and out onto a balcony porch). SO any recommendations on a contractor saw? Prefer older, high quality model like the Powermatic. Incidentally, there is another Powermatic 64 for about $350, and looks beat to hell...PS I know google is my friend. Problem is hobbyists post reviews the same as professionals, and this is tough to separate wheat from chaff so I prefer opinions from boatbuilders here. I use a tablesaw primarily for boatbuilding, and ripping seems to be my common application. I do not, for example, use a saw for cutting mortise and tenons at furniture level.
    Last edited by davebrown; 04-22-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: Table Saws Recommendation

What would be a fair price for this, used and in good operating condition? These retail, for whatever that is worth, well over $1000. https://www.toolnut.com/jet-708492k-...SABEgKD_vD_BwE

Here is the one I missed yesterday for $500, and it was in good shape too--hobbyist.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0944_200450944

Bosch 4100-09 @ https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...00-09-31813-p/

Street price is $550. You might be able to find a factory refurb for $350-400, but make sure it includes the stand (it's a great stand). It's got a real riving knife (floats and tilts with the blade) and it can take a 3/4 dado stack (prolly want a 6-inch due to power constraints).

It's not a cast-iron cabinet saw and it's no Biesemeyer fence, but it's competent stuff. Especially for the price. It uses a thin kerf blade (min. kerf is something like 0.92 in., to allow for the riving knife).

Pair it with a zero-clearance insert (https://www.woodcraft.com/products/b...de-insert-bh-1), and a better blade (https://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker-ii-thin-kerf/) and you should be good to go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIMHGCWY30
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Get a SawStop, really. The one serious injury it prevents, for you or anyone else, will far more than pay the little bit extra that it costs. That's a proven fact.

I've had a Jet for close to 20 years -- an earlier version of this one -- and it's been flawless. Half retail for a used machine seems about right to me.
    -Dave

I had that Bosch contractor's saw and used it to build my boat. Sold it for what I bought it for ( $400 ), so hurray.

When the time came to do serious woodworking, though, I grabbed a 5HP Grizzly that was in their annual tent sell. Hell of a deal.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

I bought a used delta contractor saw on CL for $50. It was light weight and portable, cast aluminum table, and I could carry it out of my shop easily to set it up in the yard. The fence was solid, and it could rip 2x4s. I sold it after I built the boat for $75.

I sold it because I was given a much beefier saw... cast iron table, much bigger. I can't carry it out the door. Its a good, solid saw, and it was free. But...

Everything in boat building is compromise.

I have a folding contractor saw on wheels. Realized it is about the same size as a bbq grill when folded. Now I store it folded, outside, in the southern california weather--such that we have here--and roll into the garage when needed.

The crew remodeling our house had this Dewalt 10in which I got to use. It was solid and allowed for precise cuts, not at all like my ancient rickety Makita.

However if you can swing a SawStop, you'll be set. I picked up a used one a couple of years ago, not only is it safer to use, it's a just great tool.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

I found a 1960 Unisaw on CL for $500. Came with an outfeed table and a Biesmeir Fence. Rewired and painted it. Installed a good quality blade.
    It’ll cut paper thin slices for laminates or through 2” of Osage without slowing down.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 04-23-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

When I think about all of the Rube Goldberg saws I have worked with, in the past, it is a wonder I have all my digits! Although I like my Inca Pattern Maker's saws, if I ever wanted a new machine, I would choose a Saw Stop!
    Jay

Thanks all. Good commentary. Jake, there is a similar unisaw in my backyard (I live up near Placerville now) for same price...
    https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tl...565162486.html

Also a Jet for $200

There is a saw made by Mikiway, model MBS in Taiwan, sold under various brand names in different parts of the world, they're among the best sawbenches around other than the German or Belgian ones with megabuck prices . They're recognisable when you look in the side door, they have a triple drive belt system, the motor is fully housed within the sawbench body, the motor and saw mount along with the rise and fall and tilt mechanism is mounted to the body not the underside of the cast iron table, the saw change insert is cast iron, and is adjustable to keep it dead level with the table top, and its all heavy cast stuff. The spindle is a big heavy one with the bearings well apart, the lead screws for up and down and tilt are heavy and engage with real cast quadrants. Its all good.
    They come in 250 ( I've got one of those) 300 and 400mm blade size. ( thats 10 in, 12 in and 16in, the latter being a 7.5 hp unit so generally not found in home workshops due to being 440 volt. The other two sizes are available in 110 or 220 volt, mine, being here in NZ is 240 volt 3 hp, goes through heavy cuts like butter.

I repair and maintain woodworking machinery as a sideline business, come across about every brand of sawbench you can think of, and these are as good as they get. Thats why I have one in my own shop.
    If you search for MBS 300 table saw, you'll get a pile of pics, note the quite distinctive shape on the front of the cabinet.
    I cant get that link to work, but you'll find it.

John Welsford
    Last edited by john welsford; 05-03-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    Thanks all. Good commentary. Jake, there is a similar unisaw in my backyard (I live up near Placerville now) for same price...
    https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tl...565162486.html

Also a Jet for $200
    I see those all the time, goldfish, ( c a r p or something like that).

John Welsford

This one is a bit pricey but if you can find a Wadkin at a reasonable price they are Rolls Royce quality, mine cost me $270 delivered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wadkin-Burs...0AAOSwbwlW~wpT

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

If you live close to the northern border you can smuggle one of these back home.08112904-6F0F-40D3-9124-F0A2DF9108C9.jpg
    A two use cartridge and no blade damage.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    This one is a bit pricey but if you can find a Wadkin at a reasonable price they are Rolls Royce quality, mine cost me $270 delivered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wadkin-Burs...0AAOSwbwlW~wpT

The Biesemyer fence alone is worth that. Good on ya'!

Whats wrong with this one?
    Go there, make him an offer...

IMG_3848.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    The Biesemyer fence alone is worth that. Good on ya'!
    I worked for Wadkin for a long time, while I was mostly dealing with moulders and heavy sawmill equipment, I know the Bursgreen joinery range very well. Most of those machines are getting on in years, and while they're very robustly built, its worth checking out the rise and fall gear quadrant to see if its at all worn. There are NO spare parts available for them and if they break or strip that gear the machine is scrap metal.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I worked for Wadkin for a long time, while I was mostly dealing with moulders and heavy sawmill equipment, I know the Bursgreen joinery range very well. Most of those machines are getting on in years, and while they're very robustly built, its worth checking out the rise and fall gear quadrant to see if its at all worn. There are NO spare parts available for them and if they break or strip that gear the machine is scrap metal.

John Welsford
    Worth knowing John.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have mentioned before that I own more than one of the Inca Precision eight inch table saws. This is a super accurate machine that will perform many functions more than ripping and cut off. It has a mortice and tennon attachment that is insanely accurate and will do shaper work as well. Made in Switzerland it is no longer imported to the US. They are so good that they rarley come up for sale but one is offered onebay today.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...e+saw&_sacat=0
    Here is a detailed description of the saw by another satisfied user
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ6NDr1GOEE
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-05-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Here is one of my own saws. Note that it has been converted to a router table as well. The sliding table is an optional Inca extra that I am very happy with as well.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-04-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Shot of the Inca from the rear. That dust is what I get when I don't run the dust collector.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-04-2018 at 03:09 PM.

I am delighted to see that somebody with Jay's experience uses a properly guarded saw.Would be great if everybody followed this approach and we would be spared the all too frequent gory tales that end with deep regret.

Anti kick back devices, in my humble opinion, are a must when using a table saw. When something goes awry, there is no time to think. Note that I have a knee kick, shut off switch as well! I don't saw wood without one!
    Jay

Here is another Inca machine that I really like! The Inca joiner planer is really well sized for my one stall garage shop! It has a Tersa head so, the replacing of the three blades takes less than three minutes and there is no set up needed as they self adjust. These are very very good machines!
    Jay

I have the same Inca saw that I bought new in the 80's. I don't have the morticer but I built a 31 foot trimaran with it and it served me well. Compact and rolls out of the way when not needed as I use my band saw more than the TS. Not the best for sheet goods with the tilting table but being mostly aluminum rust isn't an issue. And 20 mm blades are really easy to get now off the shelf.
    Dan

I am glad you like the Inca saw Dan. Mine have served me well for nearly forty years! With the new track saws there is no need for having a honking big table saw in my shop for cutting sheet goods. If I can find one I am going for one of their big throat three wheel band saws. Again all of their machines are compact but able to handle big work.
    Jay

Like Jay, I am a huge fan of Inca Tools. I have their smallest (10 inch) bandsaw, which I love. I have considered their 3 wheel saw, which has a very deep throat, and would be awesome for cutting planks, but I really want a resaw machine, and that is not the 3 Wheel's forte. Still undecided there. I am also on the fence on a 570 jointer, which is a 12 inch jointer planer. Now that I have a nice planer, I don't need the combination machine as badly, so I'm not sure if I'm not better off just getting an 8 inch jointer. Fortunately, I have a little time to think about that.

But table saws: The 8 inch machine Jay shows is wonderfully precise, although it's a tilt-table, not a tilt blade, which has it's own share of safety concerns. Similar to a radial arm saw (which Inca also made), it's not as popular as it once was. The riving knife is a very good thing, and while that SUVA guard is not as failsafe as a Saw-Stop, it does work very well.

One thing the Saw-Stop system cannot do is automatically prevent kickback. Their riving knife helps there, and their guard is not bad, but it's not automatic. Technology is not a replacement for complacency.

Inca also made larger saws. I have a 2200 12" model, which will do anything. It's main improvement over the 2100 is the cast iron table, over the aluminum table. They did that to allow magnetic based jigs. They also made a 10". If you can find one of those, grab it. It's not as portable as the job site saws, but far better made and precise. There is a Yahoo Group that focuses on Inca tools, if you're interested, check it out.

Now, if only I can find the mortising attachment for my table saw...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

I heard, over the grape vine, that Inca is back in business in Europe. I have not found a site for them as yet. The tilt table needed a bit of getting used to when I got my first saw. I got used to it in a short while and it is no big thing. There is an angle arc dial that reads in vernier scale so you can split a degree into minutes. That saves using a bevel gauge but, again, needs a bit of getting used to till you trust that Swiss engineering. They make Rolex watches over there too! I might add that I also have one of their twelve inch table saws that uses a blade tilt system. The machine has an cast iron top and this saw is silky smooth as well. However, I still like the little eight incher better for doing fine work.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post

John Welsford
    That's a well known problem.

However I have heard rumours that there should be a way to fix it but it was said to require quite abit of expensive machining and even more labour intensive hand fitting. Unfortunately I don't know how they did it.

I have repaired quite a few machines considered to be hopeless scrap metal...... there is usually a way.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I heard, over the grape vine, that Inca is back in business in Europe. I have not found a site for them as yet. The tilt table needed a bit of getting used to when I got my first saw. I got used to it in a short while and it is no big thing. There is an angle arc dial that reads in vernier scale so you can split a degree into minutes. That saves using a bevel gauge but, again, needs a bit of getting used to till you trust that Swiss engineering. They make Rolex watches over there too! I might add that I also have one of their twelve inch table saws that uses a blade tilt system. The machine has an cast iron top and this saw is silky smooth as well. However, I still like the little eight incher better for doing fine work.
    Jay
    http://incamachines.com/english/

also:
    http://www.doebeli.ch/index.asp?page...inca-maschinen
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

I don't know what you plan to do, or how much of it. When I was cutting the frames for the sharpie a friend loaned a Craftsman table saw. After making the frames and so forth, I gave it back. That was the best kind of table saw.