Thread: Lee Valley

Default Lee Valley

It's past April 1st and I can't find their new tool release. Anybody seen one lately?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Default Re: Lee Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    It's past April 1st and I can't find their new tool release. Anybody seen one lately?
    Yeah, they had one. It was more subtle, but less brilliant, iirc, than past efforts.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yeah, they had one. It was more subtle, but less brilliant, iirc, than past efforts.
    apparently it wasn't very memorable either
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Happy April 1st!
    OK — while the casting is almost production, this plane is equivalent to the "spy shots" common to the automotive industry — somewhat disguised, but with enough correct details to give a taste of the final product.While we're not really going to offer a 1" thick blade (it'll be 3/16"), what you were just looking at is an early version of our new Low Angle Jack Plane. Planned for release in early June, the actual production version will have a few minor differences — and a "patent pending" feature, which has been deliberately omitted from this model. Watch for complete details in the small catalog mailing mid-May, or here on the Web site.
    At the moment, we don't have a numerical designation for it, though we are toying with "62-1/2" — as it's at least half as good again, as what Stanley made (adding the "1/2" would be consistent, as it does indicate a plane wider than standard).
    In any event, at least this type of tomfoolery is better than discovering the sugar you put on your cereal this morning is really salt... or having the lid of a shaker loosened... or having confetti in your car heating system... or having your clocks set back an hour...
    We'll get straight back to real work tomorrow — as there's a second plane being released May 15th!
    Cheers, and thanks for your indulgence —
    Veritas® Tools

link to archive of all april 1st tool releases

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...158,75230&ap=1

All I can say about Lee Valley tools is that I am happy for the tools they offer because they are not junk but, tools that are carefully designed for the craftsman who, likes to work with his or her hands! I don't look for new tools on a conveyor belt but but for tools that are of good quality!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-22-2018 at 12:25 PM.

I'm lucky to have a LV store in town. I can pop by anytime I like. (or any time the wife lets me) The tools I have bought there are of exceptional quality. But they not only sell woodworking tools but gardening tools, books and all sorts of other interesting things. It's a store I could spend hours of time and boat loads of money at. The staff are extremely knowledgeable as well.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

For me, my credit card melts just going into the place...

I also have a LV store close by and really enjoy a trip there. I just picked up a plunge base and a fence and circle cutter jig for the Dremel It's the first time in years it's been useful for something.The quality of the Veritas brand is excellent.

What I am Jonesing for is one of those keen Eifell Framed Fret Saws. But it will set fire to my wallet!
    Jay
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42884,42902

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    All I can say about Lee Valley tools is that I am happy for the tools they offer because they are not junk but, tools that are carefully designed for the craftsman who, likes to work with his or her hands! I don't look for new tools on a conveyor belt but but for tools that are of good quality!
    Jay
    That's not luck, that's BANKRUPTCY! But I do have some LV tools...Just those specialty tools that you never find in a garage sale I'm currently agonizing over one of their marking gauges. But I need to sweat a little more before I spring for it. Especially since I just picked up a used Grizzly belt'sander.buffer. It'll be a while before I can talk my lady into letting me get more tools.

Those are nice, but the Blue Spruce one is crazy expensive!
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

This is their ultimate fret saw!
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,42884,42902

For us mere mortals they also offer this one.
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,42884,42902

Jay

What I am Jonesing for is one of those keen Eifell Framed Fret Saws. But it will set fire to my wallet!
    Jay
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42884,42902
    Yes... I've been tempted by them for years. Just don't use that tool often enough to pry open the wallet that far.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

am curious about the guided fret saw:
    http://www.knewconcepts.com/precisionMk3.php
    but I'm not a jeweler and I don't really like that type of work, as much as I respect it.

What's needed here is a tool wish list. I'll add this one. I want a razor saw and a small reliable miter box to cut slots for frets.

Don't forget that there is a way to cut teeth in a single edge razor blade.
    Jay

I've been watching a lot of Paul Seller's youtube videos lately. I've been working with wood for a long time (not as often as I'd like but for a long time). I've built a cedar strip canoe and I'm working on a traditional catspaw dingy that I plan to build lapstrake instead of carvel. I'm not quite a beginner in the tool department and have a fairly extensive collection of everything from woodworking tools, machines like planer, jointer, TS, Drill press etc., tiling tools, framing tools, I can shingle and do drywall etc. I've given a lot of thought lately to what hand tools I need/want at this point and there are only a few that I feel I could use for projects coming up fit into most people's basic kit. I have a cheap backsaw, plastic handle from Canadian Tire or something, came with a plastic mitre box. Nearly useless. I could really use a decent backsaw and Lee Valley's Tenon saws look to be just the ticket. A rip and a crosscut. A decent mortice gauge would be nice as well.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I prefer the Japanese tennon saws as they cut on the pull and are more accurate because of that.
    Jay

One other wallet buster is the Lee Valley Veritas Shooting plane! I would opt for the left hander so as to reduce the chance of it being stolen!
    JBird
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Pag...30,41182,48945

For the last few weeks my Lee Valley Apron Plane and holster have been missing. This is not good. It is my “daily driver” so to speak in my carpentry business. I hope I find it by the end of the weekend or I’ll have to order another.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    For the last few weeks my Lee Valley Apron Plane and holster have been missing. This is not good. It is my “daily driver” so to speak in my carpentry business. I hope I find it by the end of the weekend or I’ll have to order another.
    That'll guarantee that the MIA plane and its holster will magically reappear
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Lee Valley, my home away from home.

Avoid the Vancouver store, everythings rusty from my drooling on everything.
    basil

Well, I just sold the last of my cowboy action shooting revolvers so with money burning a hole in my pocket I went to the LV store and came home with one of these. A Veritas small smoothing plane.What a beauty, the adjustments are fine and smooth,it feels and works really well.I admit it was more a wanted than a needed item but a replica 1847 colt walker for this is a good trade.

swords into plane irons !

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    What's needed here is a tool wish list. I'll add this one. I want a razor saw and a small reliable miter box to cut slots for frets.

Xacto puts out a rather reliable aluminum extrusion mitre box like the one pictured for cheap. Their thin blade saws that fit into a large Xacto handle are also decent enough, although hardly the beauties pictured. For fine sawing, however, the ultimate is Jim Byrnes' table saw. Repeatable accuracy to three decimal places. http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw1.html

While I grant that the saw by Jim Byrnes is cute and mind blowing accurate, plus great for model work. I have to again harp on the Inca saws I have in my two shops. They are just as accurate as the one above and amazingly light and smooth! And the Inca will work veneer or heavy stock. They do come up on Bay but only rarely because once you own one you wont't want to get rid of it.
    Jay

While I grant that the saw by Jim Byrnes is cute and mind blowing accurate, plus great for model work. I have to again harp on the Inca saws I have in my two shops. They are just as accurate as the one above and amazingly light and smooth! And the Inca will work veneer or heavy stock. They do come up on Bay but only rarely because once you own one you wont't want to get rid of it.
    Jay
    Everything Jay ever says about Inca is absolutely dead on balls accurate.

https://youtu.be/y8hcfTFVJ9k
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

"....I have in my two shops." Two shops Jay? Most people pine for one and you have two?
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    "....I have in my two shops." Two shops Jay? Most people pine for one and you have two?
    One shop is crammed into my, single stall, garage at home where I tinker on various projects for "Bright Star". The other is my commercial shop that is bigger and not near my home shop.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-16-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post

Bad Axe makes Bad Axe Tool Works 10" Luthier's Fret and Carcase Saw