Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penobscot Bay, Maine

Default Penobscot Bay, Maine

Yes I can look a lot of this stuff up. But I was wondering about the typical boat ramps in and around the bay. And tide extremes? Does anyone have any pictures and are there any issues for extended day parking of a truck and trailer on that region of the country?

Default Re: Penobscot Bay, Maine

You're coming to civilization. Great.

I only know about boat ramps from Portland South. I'll do some research after I get back from yoga.

What town do you plan on visiting? Google maps will show you all the boat ramps.

Parking is very difficult in Buck's Harbor as it is in Castine. Ramp in Stonington is all-tide but you'll have to find parking on a side street which is not too difficult. Jericho Bay has more options with better parking although not all are easy at dead low.

Typical tide range is about 10'. Perhaps as much as 12' in extreme springs. I am mostly familiar with the eastern side of the Bay. There is a concern about limited shore access, but most waterfront towns in this area have a public launch ramp and, as far as I know, most do not have parking restrictions. For example, the Deer Isle Bridge End ramp, which fronts on Eggemoggin Reach, has designated parking spaces for vehicles with trailers with no parking length restrictions.

Great information,,, We are not locked into a specific area. If things goes as planned, we hope to do the entire region and can end up back where we began. Our hope is to spend about a week locally in and around the area and with some decent weather go north along the coast for a few days junkit. I assume fuel is available at selected floating docks, even though my capacity is pretty good. We will need about fifty feet for the combined truck and trailer. I am also not opposed to storage at any boat yard if available, if you know of any that is open for that in the region.

There are so many different options.....

What is the boat? What kind of seas, how much open water, are you comfortable running? What kind of places do you want to see, go to, in your week there? What distances would you like to make in a good day?
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    There are so many different options.....

What is the boat? What kind of seas, how much open water, are you comfortable running? What kind of places do you want to see, go to, in your week there? What distances would you like to make in a good day?
    Well as long as we are on the boat, we are already where we wish to be. And what we see is a plus. We are pretty salty, but this is a pleasure trip in a 24 foot modified vee cruiser. And with no time frame, we can wait things out if need be. Launching and retrieving and parking is probably the key element that dictates where we begin in the region.

I think most of the public landings close at 9PM. You can call the harbour master in Rockland for details on theirs.

Seems to me, the Rockland Public Landing (Snow Marine Park) https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMap...Park-Area.html
    Would be a very good place to start.
    Up the bay to Vinalheaven/North Haven. Camden. Belfast.
    Across the bay to Stonington. Merchant Row. And lots of places further Down East.
    Down the coast to Boothbay. Friendship. Portland.
    Due east is Nova Scotia. Newfoundland. Ireland.

When are you coming up?

This is the list, it's a bit clunky and does not include everything http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/wate...es/index.shtml

You might want to contact Scot. WodenBoat has a ramp, it's not very good but they launch their boats there. They could arrange parking and it's in a prime position on Eggomoggin reach.

Find, join, and get the guide book - Maine Islands Trail Association. This wonderful community goes all the way on where you can camp and such. MITA gives you ways to both enjoy and help protect a wonderful resourse.

Then join activecaptain.com for pretty much everything marine related from hazards to boat yards to ramps to anchorages to et cetera. It displays as markers on your choise of road map, satallite photo, or nautical chart. If you take your WiFi with you, then you can refresh as you go. Active Captain is a fantastic group resourse and the very best cruising guides ever.

The MITA guide book has contact information and boat ramp locations, also some info about boat yards where where a rig could get left. Members also get a downloadable version of the guidebook which has the Maine coast nautical charts on it.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

My friend Curtis publishes a fantastic guide book for exploring Maine by water. It would be an invaluable resource for a trip like this. It covers anchorages, services, scenic sites, a little history. It really is a must have.

44E503D1-7D95-404E-8E66-1D8252E0FE49.jpg

https://www.mainecoastguide.com/

Some great suggestions, I will check them out. Thanks a bunch. Steven I hope that the trip will be at the mid to the end of July. It could run into middle of Aug. I just picked up the second edition, ten bucks, from Hank and Jan Taft just today at our local second hand consignment shop and really have enjoyed it so far after scanning it.

The land hasn't changed. So it should give me a good starting point. Gareth I am fine with the primitive nature that we boat in, way and away from the weekend warriors that increases monthly now. That's the advantage of the shallow drafts of my cobbled together barges. I can go where few plastics can go.
    Last edited by erster; 04-19-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Mike,

My son Mark and his wife are here this weekend from Georgetown, ME. He tells me that Maine has plenty of free public launch ramps that run from OK to very good and that many have floating docks that help with the task. Some are good at low tide and some are not, so that may need to be checked out for specific ramps. I have only used the ramp at Castine (not so great) and at Woodenboat School where they may be willing to allow an epoxified boat to launch, at least they did allow mine. Some passages can have serious current between the mainland and islands. As for time, later in July and August is better in my limited experience.
    Tom L

If you want to see something really special, plan your trip to be near Brooklin July 25-29. We have over 80 boats registered for the Small Reach Regatta. The fleet sails each day from the Atlantic Boat Company Marina, returning in the afternoon. There are several ramps options on the peninsula.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Rockland has a good ramp but you may have to contact in advance about extended parking, blue hill yacht club may allow you to launch, but again, I would expect that it would be helpful to contact in advance.
    Nicholas

The Belfast Town ramp is excellent. It is a hard, all tide ramp with floats.
    There is a limit on length of parking which may be extended by consulting the harbor master's office ahead of time. (Phone 207-338-1142)

The town ramp in Stonington is excellent but the above advice re parking is spot on.

On Mount Dessert, Manset (Southwest of Southeast Harbor) has a nice town ramp with floats.
    Northeast Harbor has a good ramp. Check with harbor master re long term parking.

If you are interested in starting at the eastern end of Eggemoggin Reach the Atlantic Boat Company (mentioned above) has a serviceable ramp. I suspect there would be some reasonable parking fee.

I second the recommendation for the "Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast."

Frank K.

If your schedule allows it, don't miss the Sweet Charriot Festival on Swan's Island.
    And if it does'nt, modify it !
    A so beautyful event organised by so great people.

http://sweetchariotmusicfestival.com

Last edited by Rapelapente; 04-20-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.schooner-anthea.com

More good information, Thanks,, There is surely a lot of coastline with the twisting and turning of the coastal rivers and tributaries to explore. I need to dig a bit deeper into the areas that allows for the extended parking , which will dictate my starting point. I have a couple of stops already potentially planned just south of the area and weather will play some role as to the timing to the region.

We too have 24' cruiser and go to Penobscot Bay (by water, not trailer) every summer if it works out. It about seventy miles to Brooklin from where we are in Boothbay Harbor and along the way there are several groups of outer islands to enjoy. You can land on many and find walking paths and explore the shorelines with guides provided by organizations like MITA, The Maine Coast Heritage Trust, etc. Services for food, ice, showers, laundry, fuel, etc., aren't as available if you aren't able to stay out for more than a few days, so there's that. If you can get to the island groups in clear settled weather (usually it's calmest in the mornings) and should fog settle in for a few days you can navigate among the islands safely and enjoyably without having more than ten to twenty minutes between them. (Do have a radar reflector so lobster boats will know where you are, and listen for them on their rounds!)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/n.../data=!3m1!1e3

The group off Tenant's Harbor to the east: Two Bush Light to Dix Island

The group south of Vinalhaven: White Islands, Hurricane and Brimstone

The 'Frenchboro' group east of Isle Au Haut: Marshall to Great Cranberry

You will get a feel for the wildest, least populated parts of outer Penobscot Bay there.

The towns alongshore such as Rockland, Camden, Belfast, Castine, Bucks Harbor, Brooklin, Blue Hill, Southwest and Northeast Harbors have a different appeal and are lovely and interesting in their own ways.

The Bagaduce River upstream from Castine, similar to the western rivers and 'riverine bays' (New Meadows, Kennebec, Sheepscot, Damariscotta, Johns Bay, St. George, Penobscot and Blue Hill Bay) are a worthwhile and a different kind of exploration most often subject to greater currents.

More remote, challenging yet still accessible islands (for a small cruising boat) are Monhegan, Matinicus, Criehaven and Metinic, in the exposed Gulf of Maine south of Penobscot Bay.

The whole region has something for everyone. Thus it's among the most enjoyable cruising grounds anywhere. The guides mentioned above will be great help, but check for correct phone numbers and info ahead of time. Some have changed or are simply out of date.

The advice to check out specifics of ramps and parking thoroughly is excellent. The condition and usefulness at different tides levels vary widely. Harbormasters can be most helpful: http://maineharbormasters.org/page15.html
    Last edited by rbgarr; 04-20-2018 at 07:06 AM.

False economics to try to save a dollar in gathering info. Current editions of Rindlaub are better than the old one. Also no one mentioned the DeLorme atlas which IMHO is much better than trying to plan using the really small screens of computers.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    False economics to try to save a dollar in gathering info. Current editions of Rindlaub are better than the old one. Also no one mentioned the DeLorme atlas which IMHO is much better than trying to plan using the really small screens of computers.
    Yes, a new edition of the Cruising Guide came out last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    ... the DeLorme atlas which IMHO is much better than trying to plan using the really small screens of computers.
    Excellent for driving directions and identifying launch ramp possibilities but little help on details about the suitability of ramps and available parking.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maine-Atl...&wl13=&veh=sem

WBRamp-upclose.jpgWB-Ramp.jpg
    I believe you NEED to come to the WoodenBoat campus / ramp...

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Holy Moley! That's just about an engraved invitation.

Wooden Boat ramp needs either help from their tractor or something serious in the four wheel drive department and it is a high water ramp. The Benjamin river ramp is better quality. Serious four wheel drive can launch at the Naskeag beach but that isn't a place to stay parked for a while. The information in the MITA book is pretty good about ramps and has contact information so one can check on parking, which is the real issue. If I was doing multi day I'd look for a boat yard to stash a truck and trailer.
    Ben Fuller

Looking specifically at the Bay, and having launched MITA boats most places, Rockland has the biggest public ramp and parking area. There are decent ramps in Rockport, Camden, Belfast but they are all parking area limited. On the other side, most of the public ramps are best suited for local use. The WB ramp with tide and the right launching vehicle works because you can leave your rig, but it has to be worked out with WB. Atlantic boat, mid tide for anything sizable, and it would need to be worked out with AB. The AB ramp can be negotiated with most vehicles, doesn't need anything special. On Stonington the town ramp is good, but you would want to call the harbor master about where to leave your rig. You might be able to work out something with Billings.
    Ben Fuller

WTG, Scot!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thank you very much for the offer Scot. Not knowing the limits for the ramps, this is the reason why I ask. And books don't always tell the current conditions . And I just picked up the older book as a starting point for educating ourselves of the region. It looks like the particular bay has the most options for a the limited time frame without spending a ton of time running.

I do need some length and water to float my boat with the bunked trailer even though my draft is less than 16 inches with the engine up. But tow vehicle is substantial enough to pull out on most angled ramps. It looks like I do have several good options, even if I have to run a bit further from a base camp. It would be nice to time things in a way to view the regatta.
    Last edited by erster; 04-21-2018 at 07:34 AM.

If you haven't found this yet,...
    http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/wate...at_sites.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    While the ramp is a bit further up the river, Hampden shows a ramp with decent parking. Its also showing as a local ramp. So I was wondering if its run by the city with a dockmaster? I have not gotten my charts yet. So I don't know the depth of the river. But with that large ramp I am assuming that its plenty with it showing all tide launching on the chart. Its close to the interstate and Bangor. Maybe I can get Ish out for a spin . I may just do several ramps and not worry much about extended parking, if it gets too complexed.