Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penobscot Bay, Maine

Default Re: Penobscot Bay, Maine

Yes, they have a Harbor Master...http://www.hampdenmaine.gov/index.as...7&Type=B_BASIC
    I have to say, though that Hampden, Bangor, Winterport, Bucksport and surrounds are very nice places, the really good sailing areas, however, are further down the Bay.
    There is plenty of water in the Penobscot River all the way up the Bangor. There is also plenty of tide. Both range (13-15 ft) and CURRENT!! You pretty much have to play the tide.
    Very non-busy though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    Yes, they have a Harbor Master...http://www.hampdenmaine.gov/index.as...7&Type=B_BASIC
    I have to say, though that Hampden, Bangor, Winterport, Bucksport and surrounds are very nice places, the really good sailing areas, however, are further down the Bay.
    There is plenty of water in the Penobscot River all the way up the Bangor. There is also plenty of tide. Both range (13-15 ft) and CURRENT!! You pretty much have to play the tide.
    Very non-busy though.
    We will end up down the river, either towing or running down the river for sure. We were just looking at some alternatives, especially if the weather is not favorable. Heck right now its really hard to get much time on the water here to shake the boat down and figure out what additional stuff we will like and need with all of the winds and the extended winter that we are experiencing.
    Last edited by erster; 04-21-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Quick question, with all of the moorings in the region, is anchoring still a feasible alternative, both with the bottom make up and allowable in the conjested areas?
    Last edited by erster; 04-25-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Mike , while your in the area, it might be good to peek into the history. The worst disaster to the fledgling American navy before Pearl Harbor occurred there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Expedition

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Anchoring is definitely feasible in many harbors in Penobscot Bay. Each harbor will differ; check your cruising guides and Active Captain for specifics in each location. We have a lot of rocks, but most of the harbors have mud that will hold an anchor. Not many places officially prohibit anchoring, but anchoring in a crowded mooring field is unwise even if not prohibited. Some rental moorings are available, particularly in larger harbors like Camden, but most of the moorings you will see are placed for local boats.

Thanks JD, that's really informative stuff. And Bill thanks for that info. I don't intend on attempting to anchor in a large mooring area. But the information on the bottom was really what I was looking for, as I did not know if there was more to the story of dedicated anchoring areas with the cluster of moorings across the region. I may need to rethink my anchor style. .

From what I gather yours is a V bottom 24' power boat? Anyway, most places where there are mooring fields are deep water 6-10' at low low. Around the edges in many harbors there are flats places that have 3-4 feet at low water, the blue tint on the chart which are perfectly fine places for shoal draft boats to anchor and are out of the mooring fields.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    From what I gather yours is a V bottom 24' power boat? Anyway, most places where there are mooring fields are deep water 6-10' at low low. Around the edges in many harbors there are flats places that have 3-4 feet at low water, the blue tint on the chart which are perfectly fine places for shoal draft boats to anchor and are out of the mooring fields.

Yes that's correct on the boat. Anchoring with low water of 4 foot and without a lot of wind and swing in tidal changes will work for me. But we normally use Danforth anchors, where the angle is not as favorable for soft mud. While I always carry two anchors, I will update one anyway to a different style.
    Last edited by erster; 04-25-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Tide range is higher in Bangor than down the bay, FYI. Boat ramps are plentiful and everywhere. Both Belfast and Searsport have good parking, but I also have a driveway a few miles out of town if you're looking to really be out for a bit. Anchoring is plentiful in most places, but not always in the best spots. For example, you can anchor in Camden but only where it's rolly. I don't recommend using a Danforth up here, you need anchors that are happy with mixed bottom types. Most will do as the mud in many places is excellent. Beware of rock and kelp in bottoms as you get further out the bay, especially in places with good current. Very comfortable a free anchorage is available in Belfast above the bridge which the harbormaster can open when wind is less than 15 kts and their office is open. Deep parts correspond to charts, but best to go up at low slack if you don't know the area as it's easy to run aground.

Quote Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
    Tide range is higher in Bangor than down the bay, FYI. Boat ramps are plentiful and everywhere. Both Belfast and Searsport have good parking, but I also have a driveway a few miles out of town if you're looking to really be out for a bit. Anchoring is plentiful in most places, but not always in the best spots. For example, you can anchor in Camden but only where it's rolly. I don't recommend using a Danforth up here, you need anchors that are happy with mixed bottom types. Most will do as the mud in many places is excellent. Beware of rock and kelp in bottoms as you get further out the bay, especially in places with good current. Very comfortable a free anchorage is available in Belfast above the bridge which the harbormaster can open when wind is less than 15 kts and their office is open. Deep parts correspond to charts, but best to go up at low slack if you don't know the area as it's easy to run aground.
    Thanks for the offer and information. The people in Belfast has been really great to talk with as a good location to make the shorter leap to some areas of short runs further to the east and towards the regatta as long as I am in that area at the end of the month. It looks like the Fortress with the increased angle is a good mix for me. It will fit my pulpit arrangement nicely. And I can use it down south along the gulf region too.. I did get the main charts ordered and should be here this week.

I ran the boat again this past two days and have a good handle on my fuel burns with the available tankage. I can easily do 12 hours of on plane running, but at trawler speeds will give me the range for further poking around to the north and northeast without worrying about the limited fuel docks on some of the islands . Come on July and warmer weather.
    Last edited by erster; 04-29-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Growing up we used to anchor out a fair bit in blue hill and penobscot bay. But, we woke up a lot to check too. That said, if you are cruising in that area, you should make sure you stop in pretty marsh, that and swan island are as near to perfect as it gets.
    Nicholas

You can obviously park in my driveway too but I’m a long way from the action. But the offer stands and helping with the way I.can.

If you use a Fortress make sure you have at least 6' chain leader, they need the weight to keep from skating. The mud up here is some of the finest on the East Coast, so the extra angle offered by the Fortress for soupy mud isn't really needed much. Fortresses, Danforths and the like aren't popular up here for three reasons: the mud/clay is so good that and reasonably sized anchor that sets well will hold you, even the good bottoms are littered with small rocks and shells that can jam and disable that type of anchor, and a lot of anchorages are rocky/weedy and they're useless there. If you do go with the Fortress, I recommend bringing a second anchor for any harbors with reversing currents or big wind shifts; and use a Bahamian moor. They don't always reset when turned. If they set well and don't turn, their holding power is unrivaled.

Thanks again for everyone's help. You folks have been a wealth of information, coupled with the additional local knowledge. I have the updated cruising guide, chart books, anchor and back up with double chain lengths and the main electronic networking with engine read out up and running. The NMEA 2000 units that the new four strokes are matting up with the navigational units are the nuts!

But I am starting to prioritize my projects with some of the really shiny paints having to wait. There is just too much fairing to be done for an ace job now with my main interior wiring that's got to be done . Then the inverter goes on . Then we will be off, with several short shakedowns to see what we have overlooked.