Thread: Selby Ford

Default Selby Ford

No that's not a misprint. That's the name of the guy who designed and built Australia's prettiest aircraft, The Silver Centenary. The designer/builder drew the aircraft full sized on the floor of his shop that he owned, later these plans were painted over. When he couldn't produce the plans on demand, the govt of Australia* revoked the aircraft's air worthiness certificate. So he hung it from the rafters. . .

Seventy four years later, Australia renewed it airworthiness certificate.

* just think, if only the aussie government hadn't been so hard to deal with Mr. Selby Ford might have established a real aircraft industry as early as 1930, bummer. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Selby Ford

Uh, not very pretty to me. Not exactly a FIFE, ya know? ;-)
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Compare it to some other notable Australian aircraft and its aesthetic value becomes more apparent. . .

take the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk for example

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Compare it to some other notable Australian aircraft and its aesthetic value becomes more apparent. . .

take the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk for example
    You're saying this is not beautiful?

You do realize that if this came out during WW I, it would not have revolutionized air warfare?

While I don't think AirTruk's are pretty, I think they are wicked cool. Have you ever seen their spray pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Form follows function. They are VERY good at their job.
    And. Mad Max loved them.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

The Air Truk concept originated in the design known as the Kingsford Smith PL.7

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Form follows function. They are VERY good at their job.
    I was just about to credit the AirTruk as Australia's greatest contribution to aviation, when I go to read the wiki page on it and find its merely a development of a New Zealand designed crop duster. Bummer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I was just about to credit the AirTruk as Australia's greatest contribution to aviation, when I go to read the wiki page on it and find its merely a development of a New Zealand designed crop duster. Bummer. . .
    You need to read again. The New Zealand design was based on the Kingsford Smith PL.7
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem