Thread: Help with identification of my new boat

Default Help with identification of my new boat

Hi All, I just purchased a clinker row / sail boat, and am looking for some information please.
    AOL is about 13ft. and the only information I can supply is that I believe it originates on the Sunshine Coast of B.C.
    From my limited timber knowledge, it seems to be made from lapstrake mahogany, with spruce seats, mast, and "boom", with cedar rub rails, and oak seat bracing.
    I hope the photos can give you all some more clues.
    I am really hoping to date this craft, and get some more information about it.
    Thanks for any help you can give......Owen.20171006_082042.jpg20171006_082159.jpg

Default Re: Help with identification of my new boat

Welcome! Nice boat and excellent first post. The gang will be along shortly with answers....or at lest guesses.

With all of those thin little frames maybe Atkins design?
    Atkins 14" Pixie. Stem head same,seats same.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Can't help with an i.d. - it's a traditional clinker dinghy, of which there were dozens (hundreds) similar. Maybe someone with local knowledge will recognize it as coming from a particular shop or drafting board...

Nice boat. Will she live in the water?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Looks like a Herreshoff tender to me. The Catspaw is nearly identical only carvel planked.

She does look a lot like a catspaw (which can be built either carvel or lapstrake).

very pretty

The construction details are identical to the catspaw.

I agree, I’m thinking a lapstrake catspaw. The lining off of the planking looks a bit more like a carvel schedule also.

Looking at the strakes in the bow it spears to be a home built. The widths and the lines are slightly off. It's still a nice boat that's very minor.

Yep, very nice

this one crossed the Atlantic!

Tinkerbelle, Daniel?

Thank you for all the helpful tips....shall follow up on line with more research, now that I have something to go on.
    She has been out of the salt chuck for a few years, and I plan on doing a cleanup , sanding and painting, and then putting her in the water.
    Any tips for this procedure would be helpful......Thanks!!

I purchased "SCULLY" with the full rig and trailer for $400 CA, I hope that was a good deal (?)
    She will not stay in the water, as I only live a minute away from a boat ramp in Pender Harbour, and my pickup truck has a trailer hitch.

Thanks again, I am glad to have joined this forum, and will probably be a frequent visitor as the restoration starts......Owen.

Following up on your tips, more research showed that it is indeed a "catspaw". Glad to know the design is recognized.
    Mine is certainly not as attractive as the photos I have seen on line......Let the work begin.
    This photo is the spitting image....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find, very nice indeed.

And at $400, you got a steal.
    If you are going to ‘trailer sail’ her I would just caution you that you should probably get comfortable with the idea of some water in her when you are sailing her, and realize there is nothing wrong with that.

It has taken me some to get back to this post, and really nothing has progressed on the hull since that time.
    Good Spring weather has arrived here, and last week the wild live catch prawn season opened, and I am swamped with work.
    So the restoration is on hold until things calm down. 4 weeks maybe...
    Hoping to have her (semi ? ) ready for our renowned wooden boat show in August. .........maybe?.....
    Cheers.....Owen. Sunshine Coast B.C. Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    And at $400, you got a steal.
    If you are going to ‘trailer sail’ her I would just caution you that you should probably get comfortable with the idea of some water in her when you are sailing her, and realize there is nothing wrong with that.
    Back 45+ years ago in Sydney Australia, I lived above a Chandlery, in an old sail loft (over the water), and was in charge of ferrying out boaters to their moorings in an old single pot Yanmar mini tug.
    During that time I did lot of time sailing catamarans, and even got to fill in as crew (when they were short ) on the Aussie Olympic team, doing match racing. Forget what size! Lots of fun.
    So I am certainly no stranger to getting wet under sail. Also spent some hours on the ways next door, scraping and painting.

Run the lawn sprinkler on the boat to swell it up if it needs it; lapstrake doesn't open up as bad as carvel planking. The percentage of shrinking is much less across the thickness of the planking compared to measurement across the width of a plank.

Thanks navy dog.....don't I have to do all the sanding, gluing and painting before I get it all wet and swollen ?.
    And isn't salt water better for this process than fresh. It is easy for me to trailer the boat down to a ramp and bucket salt water into it, let it sit in my yard and then pump it out.
    I have heard that wet sacking will help the process, and slow the drying out process. I am only minutes away from the local ramp.
    If no-one needs to use the ramp (i.e. early weekday morning) I can probably soak the outer hull for a while.
    What do you think......I am a bit of a newbie at this process.....THANKS........Owen.