Thread: eco 55 sail / power

Default eco 55 sail / power

hey, i'm looking at a plan called the eco 55 its a sailing cat and also available in a power setup. i like the idea of the stability of it, (there's a youtube video of it under sail flying along with almost no noticeable heel)
    and it has a nice sized bunk setup for overnights. I'd be using it in the southern gulf islands off the west coast in canada. i'm wondering if there's any builder groups out there for it, as i can't seem to track down anything
    can't decide it i want to buy the plans for it or not, any input is always helpful....thanks!

Default Re: eco 55 sail / power

Cats are usually pretty good sailers, and can be surprisingly fast due to their skinny hulls. I try not to slag other designers' work, but cannot help but comment that the deckhouse on this one is yu-u-ge, and probably affects her sailing ability due to all that windage. Probably won't go to windward as well as she could if she had a lower deckhouse. Standing headroom in an 18-ft sailboat is, well, a bit unusual.

(Edit to correct an error that had the boat at 180 feet LOA. Don't think that is what Bob is after...)
    Last edited by mmd; 04-16-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

as much as i love sailing i am leaning more towards the power version for island hopping, a little fishing etc. the standing headroom only applies in a small area where you are actually standing in the bottom of one of the hulls. seems pointless to me other then that is the area they suggest a small head could go.

Same deal with a powercat, Bob, lots of windage will make it susceptible to being difficult to keep on-course in a cross-wind. A properly-placed keel extension (long, shallow fin on the keel) will fix it, but usually with a loss of speed. See if you can find an owner of the power version and strike up a conversation about their likes and dislikes. Of course, if the area that you wish to boat in is normally quite calm with little wind in the times you would be boating there (like the pics on the Duckworks website), you should have no problems.

I'm just trying to make sure that you walk into this with your eyes wide open and your expectations reasonable. Nothin' worse than putting a lot of time and money into a boat that doesn't live up to expectations.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I haven't built one of Bernd Kohlers designs but he has been very quick and helpful with a few questions I've had. There is a very active group of builders of his designs on Yahoo Groups, great source for info. There are a number of these 5.5 sail and power along with the 6.0 version built around the world so I'm sure there is plenty of resources for you in the group. If you do a Google search " economy 5.5 catamaran " there will be a number of links to reviews and videos. Should be plenty of resources for your questions there too.

You want to talk to Ron Mueller he has built this as a power cat and cruised it in the San Juans and gulf islands. The boat is called "Just Enuf" and was for sale a while ago...
    There is also a video on off center harbour I think, where he shows the features of the boat. He reports 12 knot cruise and 15 max on 20 hp outboard.

rgds

Rick
    oysterbayboats.ca

If I was going to build a catamaran, sail or power I'd have a look through Richard Woods designs. I think he currently lives in your neck of the woods too.

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    If I was going to build a catamaran, sail or power I'd have a look through Richard Woods designs. I think he currently lives in your neck of the woods too.

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/
    Woods has recently designed, build and cruised a power catamaran.
    Last edited by FF; 04-26-2018 at 07:30 AM.