Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My very first visit to an Apple store

Default My very first visit to an Apple store

...and, if the Gods are good to me, my last.

It was about time to replace the battery in my iPhone 6s. It's 2 years old, and was requiring increasingly frequent charging, and since Apple dropped the replacement price to $29, and the phone itself is in excellent condition, I figured it was worth it.

Of course, you must make an appointment for this.... the geniuses at Apple are finicky. I did so, online, last week, noting that 'appointments' were booked at least 5 days in advance, and scheduled in 10-minute increments. It seemed a bit excessive, for something that was going to take all of about 10 minutes, but I had no choice but to play their game.

Needless to say, the Apple store is in a snooty upscale shopping mall called Legacy Place, in Dedham, MA… the sort of place that has pretty much nothing I would want. It was cold, windy, and rainy when I arrived for my 10:35AM ‘appointment’, at 10:17AM. The store itself appeared as sterile as could be imagined…. All glass and white panels, without ANY signage whatsoever…. As if anyone with an Apple Brain could identify it, too snooty for even an Apple logo on the front.

Inside, there’s a gridwork of wooden tables, bearing endless examples of Apple products… and a bevy of Apple employees, all wearing green t-shirts with Apple logos, all carrying iPads, all with either lightweight headsets, or at least, with microphones clipped onto their collars, as if they all need to be in continuous communications with some master intelligence somewhere unseen. They’re mostly young, I notice. One of the drones approaches, I give him my name, and he tells me that he cannot ‘check me in’ until 10 minutes before my appointed audience with the Apple god… so I stand there, like an idiot, for eight more minutes, before the drone approaches and informs me that I may check in.

While standing there, I survey the scene. The place is hospital-like, antiseptic, with too-bright lighting, too-clean appearance, surrounded by shelves of Apple products and accessories. I get the general impression that, if dangerous drugs were legalized, this is how they’d be marketed: one table with heroin, another with methamphetamines, and still another with Vicodin and Percocet…. With a fourth reserved for Oxycontin. The drones buzz around the place, pitching the greatness of the Apple cult with enthusiasm to the customers… and the customers look excited at all the glitz.

I’m told to go to the corner of the store…. No, really!... and wait for a drone to serve me. About this time, my cup of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee has done its work, and I need to tap a kidney… but this store is WAY too antiseptic for a customer rest room. In fact, there is only one door at the rear of the store, barely identifiable as a door… and the Apple drones buzz in and out of it with regularity.

A drone approaches… he identifies me, tells me his name, and wants to shake my hand, even though both of my hands are full… I struggle to clear my right hand to respond. He asks me what I’m there for… as if the iPad he’s holding doesn’t already tell him that I’m there for a battery replacement. He then informs me that he’ll be right back… and in a minute or two, he approaches with another drone in tow… this one, I’m told, is a ‘technician’ who will now assist me. Another introduction, another handshake, and now, a ‘remote diagnostic’ of my phone, conducted between the phone, and this new guy’s iPad. After several minutes, he tells me that my battery is in fine condition, and that I’m not likely to perceive any improvement in performance with a new one. He ignores my report about my two years of experience with decreasing battery endurance; how DARE I contradict the Apple God?

Regardless, I insist on the battery replacement, and he lowers the boom: I must leave the phone for an hour and a quarter.

“You’re kidding, right?” is my only response. Yes, he says, it’s like that in all the Apple stores. I’m certain the replacement takes all of ten minutes… and I DID make an ‘appointment’ to have it done… but it all becomes clear: an hour and a quarter of browsing the store is more likely to result in a sale, than if they just replace the damn battery in ten minutes.

I consider the options. There’s nothing in that store that I want, or would be willing to pay for, so I leave… drive over to a nearby Costco and browse THEIR stuff, instead. There’s a lovely beef tenderloin, USDA prime, no less… for $125… but I resist.

An hour and a quarter later, I’m back… and after ‘checking in’, are told to hang out near the Beats headphones. About ten minutes later, a cute young girl approaches with my phone, and I pay with Apple Pay.

Upon leaving, I think about the experience… and wonder if the sterile storefront and all the Apples drones are all that different from Scientology members… with the same group-think, the same enthusiasm, the same seemingly-mindless adherence to the collective.

Definitely, too creepy for me.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: My very first visit to an Apple store

Well, they all have jobs. Of sorts.

My wife went in for the same procedure and came out with a new phone. Cunning devils.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Horrific experience.

You must really miss the old Microsoft Tech support.

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Norman, I also have a iPhone 6 (not S) and it's getting slow, as well as the battery is seemly weaker than it should be. To be fair, I have about 80 apps on it. Still it's slow and wonky these days.

I was just wondering if you were having a performance issues other than the battery? Read somewhere, probably here, that Apple admitted it's slowing down older phones during IOS updates.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Norman, I also have a iPhone 6 (not S) and it's getting slow, as well as the battery is seemly weaker than it should be. To be fair, I have about 80 apps on it. Still it's slow and wonky these days.

I was just wondering if you were having a performance issues other than the battery? Read somewhere, probably here, that Apple admitted it's slowing down older phones during IOS updates.
    According to the 'battery health' report (available in your 'settings' menu, under 'battery'), my battery was performing to '94% of new'... however, two years of experience was telling me that the battery was in significant decline, with much more frequent charging necessary. The 'battery health' portion of the app is still in 'beta', and since I had only upgraded to the latest OS a few days ago, I suspect that there hadn't been sufficient time for the app to truly characterize the battery performance.

According to the same app, my performance was not being intentionally slowed due to battery health concerns... and to be honest, I never detected any loss of performance, at all... just the fact that I needed to recharge more frequently. Considering that Apple had dropped the price of the battery replacement to $29, I figured it was worth it.

I wasn't aware of what a pain in the butt it was going to be, to get it done, however.

You can get battery replacement from non-Apple vendors.... but I was concerned that the case could easily be damaged, getting it apart... and figured that the official Apple store was going to be more adept and opening the case without any physical damage. To their credit, the phone shows no evidence of having been opened.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Never had an issue with the actual Apple store, but it is some 20 miles away. There is a Microcenter with its own Apple service, plus a couple of local guys nearby that are quite good. One is at the end of the street. Actually, I have five Apple products, and few have ever need service to begin with.

I just had to deal with a 24hr apple store in Manhattan. 4 hour wait at 2am to have my phone looked at. The backlight had gone out and though everything on the phone still worked, it was damn near impossible to use it for anything since you couldn't see anything to press a button. Siri did make it possible to place calls at least. My experience was very similar and if it wasn't a corporate owned phone under warranty I would have taken it to batteries plus or some other aftermarket place to have the work done. I've had screens and batteries replaced before with good results. They ended up replacing the phone anyway and it was very frustrating not having a bathroom available for that length of time. Luckily the four seasons hotel was nearby and their lobby rest room is quite nice.
    Tom

When engineering stopped using the corporate mainframe, I got an Apple computer at work about 1992, and my first home computer was a Mac in '94. I had nothing but Macs for a good long time. Never again. They certainly make good products, but they're not that much better than others' anymore, and price/value ratio is awful. And the cult-like aspects really do creep me out.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    When engineering stopped using the corporate mainframe, I got an Apple computer at work about 1992, and my first home computer was a Mac in '94. I had nothing but Macs for a good long time. Never again. They certainly make good products, but they're not that much better than others' anymore, and price/value ratio is awful. And the cult-like aspects really do creep me out.
    Most of the Apple cheerleading, these days, is a combination of the prejudice of unfamiliarity, as well as old bearded stories dating back to the late 80's and early 90's.

In the last couple of years I was with my old employer (I left in 1992), I was a 'dual computer' user: a Mac on my desktop, for things like reports and memos, and a PC on a rolling cart, for doing lab work and testing (because Macs didn't at the time, have either the hardware interfaces, nor the software support, to connect to lab instrumentation). In those years, the Mac was indeed superior... for the memos, reports, graphics, etc....

...but time marches on, and it's simply no longer true, yet the Apple fanbois continue to trot out the same old criticisms that were valid in 1992... but are NOT valid, today. There is NOTHING done on a Mac platform, that cannot be done on a PC platform, these days... and at a fraction of the price.

Example: my daughter, a serious Mac user, laughed at the fact that I run multiple monitors here in my office... her argument is that the Mac permits 'gestures' that allow application switching on the same screen. Well, the PC doesn't do 'gestures'... but it does do alt-tab, which doesn't exactly strike me as any more difficult than using a 'gesture'. On the other hand, the three monitors I'm currently running, along with the upscale PC tower I built, cost substantially less than her upscale Mac Pro... by a LARGE margin....

....and if a monitor dies, ain't nobody going to declare my monitor a 'legacy' product, uneconomical to repair, like her previous Mac (sitting on the floor in her living room, lacking only a chain to become useful as a boat anchor).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I just had to deal with a 24hr apple store in Manhattan. 4 hour wait at 2am to have my phone looked at. The backlight had gone out and though everything on the phone still worked, it was damn near impossible to use it for anything since you couldn't see anything to press a button. Siri did make it possible to place calls at least. My experience was very similar and if it wasn't a corporate owned phone under warranty I would have taken it to batteries plus or some other aftermarket place to have the work done. I've had screens and batteries replaced before with good results. They ended up replacing the phone anyway and it was very frustrating not having a bathroom available for that length of time. Luckily the four seasons hotel was nearby and their lobby rest room is quite nice.

Jeeze...you're complaining that you had to wait a few hours after taking your phone to a 24 hour Apple center at 2am​....think about that for a moment. Not too long ago you would have had to take your phone to a place during normal business hours and they would have sent it out someplace to be fixed. Your wait would have been a couple of weeks, not a few hours.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    And the cult-like aspects really do creep me out.
    What exactly do you have in mind? Just curious, as I use a Mac but have never felt like part of a cult. I started using PCs around 25 years ago and did so most of my computing life. But I lost patience with MS when they brought in W10 and started downloading huge files on to my computer unasked etc. All I want is straightforward, reliable, relaxed computing and I have it with the Macbook. As is often remarked, it just works...... I still use W10 sometimes, but I doubt if I will ever go back to PC for my main "thing". But - a cult? I don't own any other Apple products and have no axe to grind. Just much prefer the Mac. Why do PC folk get so hot under the collar about them?

My father had a Mac desktop. When he died, my mother, aged 91 at the time, decided she was going to use it. From square one she mastered it very quickly and was soon emailing, ordering stuff online etc. I suppose she was around 95 when it died and I took her to the Apple store to get a new one. The achingly cool young persons at the Apple store were more than a little surprised when they realised who the customer was. But they could not have been more pleasant or more helpful.

My mother, who died at the age of 102 last summer, was still using her Macbook until a year or so before the end. I'm not sure what she would have made of Windows.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    You're probably lucky it wasn't a Starbucks.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Norman, is there a difference with the new battery?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Starbucks in Philly : Where you can't order coffee, black.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Jeeze...you're complaining that you had to wait a few hours after taking your phone to a 24 hour Apple center at 2am​....think about that for a moment. Not too long ago you would have had to take your phone to a place during normal business hours and they would have sent it out someplace to be fixed. Your wait would have been a couple of weeks, not a few hours.
    Four hours to replace a phone? Sorry, but that seems a bit much. If I was buying a new one they would have sold it to me immediately. I did 90% of the work myself. Backed it up to the cloud and reactivated and loaded the new phone myself. Troubleshooting it isn't rocket science. The "genius" that assisted me didn't seem to have any superior depth of knowledge about the issue. The phone is two months old. Should have swapped it out and sent me on my way.

Really my largest complaint is the lack of any kind of facility. If you are going to make customers wait four hours, you should provide a place for them to pee. I'm thankful I was able to get it replaced, but there really isn't a reason the process needs to take that long.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    The concierge welcomed me in, directed me to the rest room and told me top help myself to a free coffee/tea. The coffee was actually the worst cup I have ever had, and it got dumped in the trash, bust the rest room was nice and much appreciated.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Norman, is there a difference with the new battery?
    Hey, I just got it 4 hours ago... gimme a week, and ask me again

I think the bathroom thing is a mall issue not an apple store issue. Our little mall has large public bathrooms at each end and the only stores that have restrooms are the anchor department stores. Sears, Macy’s etc.

Our apple store has always seemed pretty nice to me. Last time I was in there I asked if they could look at the charging port on my phone as it was getting a little finicky about charging.
    He said it was just lint and cleaned it out for me. I said I usually clean the lint out myself. He said I shouldn’t - because if I damage the little pins in there it would be expensive to fix but if he damaged them he’d give me a new phone for free. I had no appointment.

Come in with a bad attitude, get it confirmed.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

koolaide drinker ^
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I think the bathroom thing is a mall issue not an apple store issue. Our little mall has large public bathrooms at each end and the only stores that have restrooms are the anchor department stores. Sears, Macy’s etc.

Our apple store has always seemed pretty nice to me. Last time I was in there I asked if they could look at the charging port on my phone as it was getting a little finicky about charging.
    He said it was just lint and cleaned it out for me. I said I usually clean the lint out myself. He said I shouldn’t - because if I damage the little pins in there it would be expensive to fix but if he damaged them he’d give me a new phone for free. I had no appointment.
    Yes, you are in Maine...
    Boston is different!

I thought I"d read that Apple batteries are now soldered in - which might explain the longer time?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I like the appearance of the Apple Stores and their offshoots for the fact that they are remarkably uncluttered and the service is pretty good.

I have an iPhone 6+. In September 2015 I went to Ireland for vacation. In Dublin someone broke the glass. The next day I located an "iConnect" store. This looks and acts like an Apple store. They honored my Apple Care extended warranty and replaced the phone for 59 euros. If I did not have the Apple Care I would have had to pay 350 euros.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post

The Manhattan Apple store on 5th avenue is no mall store. It's huge. 32,000 square ft. The wait time in the middle of the night is over four hours, with no public rest room. That seems ridiculous to me.
    Tom

So is your iPhone 6s behaving better after the battery replacement? Or was the tech correct that you would likely perceive no improvement with a new battery?
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

The Manhattan Apple store on 5th avenue is no mall store. It's huge. 32,000 square ft. The wait time in the middle of the night is over four hours, with no public rest room. That seems ridiculous to me.
    I would think most people would go home (or back to their hotel, work, etc) and come back later to pick it up.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Norman, you sum up nicely why I don't like the apple thing. I see it as a kind of arrogance that has little to do with the products themselves.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I like Apple products. They just work. I have no need or desire to hack, alter and fiddle.

Today I use a Dell Windows 10 pc at work and a HP Windows 10 notebook at home and hate them both for a number of reasons. As for my office pc, updates seem to be constant and the machine is wonky after every update. Without fail.

It is not just me. My office mates curse their machines daily.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 04-16-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I would think most people would go home (or back to their hotel, work, etc) and come back later to pick it up.

Kevin
    Depends on the situation. When they tell you it's 4 hours til your appointment, could be less and they will text you within 15 mins of when you can be seen (oh wait, you can't get texts because your phone screen is dead), your hotel is 40 mins by train (they don't run frequently at 3 am), kind of limits your options. I didn't feel like spending 120.00 on uber rides either. 32,000 sq ft store and no rest room?? Really?
    Tom

I do not patronize the local Apple store. I buy their products online.

As for service, not that I ever needed it, we still have a local independent Apple retailer with service.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.

Depends on the situation..... [ snip]
    I gotcha.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Norman get this app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geek...130770356?mt=8

I love the Apple Store

But that was a HYSTERICAL story
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Come in with a bad attitude, get it confirmed.
    Yea. Some people think that the employees in the back should be sitting around waiting to serve them. Sometimes you are not first in line.

I don't have apple products, but people I know who have gone to an apple store seem to have had decent experiences.
    Life is complex.

My brother despises Apple with the same virulence as Norman. But then, he despises all modern digital technology. The last thing he would do is join an internet forum such as this one.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Norman, you sum up nicely why I don't like the apple thing. I see it as a kind of arrogance that has little to do with the products themselves.
    I think the products are good... with certain obvious exceptions. I believe that iTunes for Windows is intentionally bad, as a means of trying to convince Windows users that they are on the wrong side of the fence... Which pisses me off. I believe the products are massively overpriced, and the reason they get away with it is that they convince customers that they alone are the technological leaders, and that anything else is 'lo-fi'. I don't like closed Eco-structures; I like products that are broadly compatible with competing vendors products. It pisses me off that FaceTime, for example, isn't an open spec.... It's one of the only reasons that I own an iPhone (the ability to use it with my grandchildren).... If not for that, I believe that an android or google phone would be every bit as good.

And finally, as I learned today, I despise the snooty atmosphere in the Apple Store. One example: the tables and shelves are loaded with products... But NO prices. Stores that do that, do it intentionally, to give sales people the opportunity to push customers for a sale.