Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Peak Season in Maine

Default Absolute Peak Season in Maine

When would that be, exactly? After the thaw but before the black fly hatch? Lobsterfest?

Despite the silly OP , I would like to hear from the Mainers. I'm assuming mid summer but maybe there's some local knowledge I'm unaware of?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: Absolute Peak Season in Maine

August is probably the best weather, the bugs have calmed down, if you can live with some cooler weather September- late October is my favorite, bugs are gone tourists are way fewer, lobster has gotten a bit cheaper and the foliage in mid to late October is really nice. Never come between mother's day and father's day the black flies will eat you alive, then the big hatches of mosquitoes arrive, to be safe I'd wait till atleast July 1.

I start going to NH, very close to the Maine border, each year around May. May and June black flies can be bad but really I haven't noticed them much at all the last few years. I love July through September but kids school limits the amount I can go after July. Foliage is great mid October.
    Tom

I have cruised downeast to mid-coastal Maine 5 times, usually in July/August (for a month at a time), and never had any problems with black flies, nor any other kind of insect. The weather, of course, was always highly variable, with a fair amount of fog, and some rain... and some pretty cool days... but I have also had glorious sunshine up there, as well.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

There is a time in mid- to late-June when the tourist season has not hit full speed (July 4 weekend, traditionally) and the lupines are in bloom. You see fields and yards full of the things and it's really a lovely site. The restaurants are open, but not crowded. Everything is good and the crowds have not yet hit.

BTW - Try the Highbrook Motel in Bar Harbor. It's cheap, clean and comfortable with just a short walk to downtown and right on the bus route to go around the island.

I would wait until school starts...

PM sent

I like it just post Labor day, the tourists are mostly gone, the Summer businesses are still open, you'll get the occasional NW'ly to clear things out.

I'm pleased to see America is celebrating my birthday (Sept 3) again this year.

First two weeks in October.
    Steve Martinsen

It's miserable here year 'round!
    Don't even bother! ()

Everyday in Maine is beautiful, right now it's in the low 40's and a rain snow mix. It really depends on what you plan on doing here. Sailing in September is amazing, blue skies, cumulus clouds, crisp breezes and deep blue water. July and August is hit or miss due to fog, lots of calm seas and no wind. Insects are never a problem on the Atlantic, if you're floating around on a pond you kind of deserve it.

Tourist are never really a problem, Mainers call it a traffic jam when there are three cars ahead of them. Maine isn't Disney world.

If I had to pick a peak season it would be the second and third week in August. The water is in the high 60's, perfect for swimming. It doesn't get too cool in the evening so you can leave the coat at home and there are no black flies.

The seafood supply is pretty much constant all summer long. If you want local produce middle to end of August is when you'll find sweet corn, tomatoes, strawberries and much more. Everything is in full swing and it's a fun place to be.

Sounds like an end of summer deal then? We begged out of the boatbuilder's show when the forecast called for blizzard conditions that never materialized so we have a tickets and a place to stay in Portland for a couple of days. After that, we'd likely just poke around. For all the traveling over the years, I've never been to Maine and neither has Lindy.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

As dates congeal, I will return to this thread for your guidance and fave lobster shacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    For all the traveling over the years, I've never been to Maine and neither has Lindy.
    What?!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'll second the "either August or September". August 'cause it actually gets warm, September because the normally crowded anchorages empty right out.

@ Norm: Never had insect problems? Really? While they have been better the last 5-10 years, in the anchorage where Neoga lives, you can hear all the hatches slam shut at about 7-7:30.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

As dates congeal, I will return to this thread for your guidance and fave lobster shacks.
    Jumping the gun: Five Islands, on the wharf. BYOB.

I'll third August and September for weather. If you're coming by the roads, it's all pretty good. Spring is more of a gamble than early fall.

The bugs aren't too bad along much of the coast(not so inland). On Penobscot Bay we don't see nearly any black flies and not a lot of mosquitos (few at dusk).

Most of the tourist don't get past Southern Maine, and those that do go to the same places. Beyond the beaches in So. Maine, you don't have to deal with crowds, unless you want to.

Once school starts, the whole coast of NE clears out.

August through September. Definitely not today though…couple inches of snow and freezing rain.

What's a black fly? (chuckle)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    What's a black fly? (chuckle)
    Scorpion with wings

Yea, OK, you want the best time to be in Maine?
    The day after a scary January storm.
    The front goes through and the next morning the sun rises, brilliant and bright and undeniable. Bringing optimism with it.
    Reflecting and bouncing off the snow laden tree limbs that are nearly touching the ground.
    The wind comes around to the northwest, crisp and strong.
    During the suns transit, the strength of that sunlight, though the weakest of all the seasons, melts the limb-snow in the below zero Fahrenheit temperatures.
    That night the stars are beyond counting. The primordial instincts are running high.
    THAT is the most compelling season in Maine, IMHO.

But, August and September are really good times to be near or on the water!

No plans for boating unless one of you wants us to tag along, which we're happy to do. We're heading for Europe in September so later in August will have to do.
    Five Islands, noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    What?!
    Yeah, it's hard to fathom especially as I grew up in New York.

October.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

We are going back to Southwest Harbor in October. I think this is our 14th time to visit Maine, though being honest I have lost count. It's a special place for us.

We will stay five nights, and will probably have a couple of cold, misty days and a couple of incredibly beautiful sunshine. It's always a mix of weather when we go.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    We are going back to Southwest Harbor in October.
    wait! you leave to vacation elsewhere during alabama's best month of the year???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Well, to us it is the best month to go to Maine, when it isn't jam packed. I do admit October is a very busy month around here.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    There is a time in mid- to late-June when the tourist season has not hit full speed (July 4 weekend, traditionally) and the lupines are in bloom. You see fields and yards full of the things and it's really a lovely site. The restaurants are open, but not crowded. Everything is good and the crowds have not yet hit.

BTW - Try the Highbrook Motel in Bar Harbor. It's cheap, clean and comfortable with just a short walk to downtown and right on the bus route to go around the island.
    ^This is precisely what I wanted to hear! We’ve got a place rented for the last full week of June.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

I agree, August and September are the best. It’d be fun if Paul and Katherine could come at the same time.
    I have had bad experiences in the past with Maine’s Black Flys up North but around Portland we don’t have them at all. Their “season” is just a couple of weeks long anyway. Sadly it does coincide with our whitewater canoeing season.

Folks from Downeast consider Portland, and all of southern Maine, as just a suburb of Boston.
    If you sneak a helmet in your luggage we can do the Lighthouse Tour on two wheels and see Bug Light, Springpoint Light, Portland Head Light and end up at Two Lights and eat on the rocks at The Lobster Shack.

I don't know , Lew. Maine is different from the land vs. seaward. For cruising in a boat, some say Maine begins beyond "Tit Mannan..." sort of true. My own wife grew up summers in Rockland/OwlsHead but had no experience beyond Lincolnville Beach! I had to drive her to Blue Hill and get her to Isle auHaut. Then there is an awful (wicked) lot of Maine five mile and more from the Coast. A lot of Mainers aren't that keen on the lobster on the license plate, if you know what I mean. Will watch this thread. I am down in Plymouth, Mass,Murica's Home Town, and I owe you a Scotch and a cigar for hosting me once in Seattle! Keep us posted/ Cheers/ JC

The tourist season really gets going with the 4th of July and slows down a lot right after labor day. Weather wise September is very nice although the nights can get a bit chilly toward the end of the month. On the coast June can be quite chilly because the water is still pretty cold, but the tourists aren't too thick in June.

As far as weather is concerned May can be cool (40s and low 50s) on the coast and hot inland (around 75-80). June is cool to OK on the coast (60s and low 70s days and 40s-50s at night. June inland is scorchingly hot (upper 70s and 80s). July and August are hot on the coast 70s to about 80 and it sometimes doesn't go below the upper 60s at night. There is usually more fog on the coast in July and August than any other time of year. When it is foggy or the wind is from the east it will be in the 60s on the coast. Inland July and August temps are unbearable 80s ad 90s and it can even get to 100. September is pretty good with days in the 70s cooling to the 60s by the end of the month on the coast but it is still hot inland.

For reference, inland starts about 5 miles from salt water.

Insects are not a problem on the coast as long as you don't go out within +/- 1 hour of sunset. During that time period the mosquitos will eat you alive. I haven't seen a black fly for years.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I agree, August and September are the best. It’d be fun if Paul and Katherine could come at the same time.
    I have had bad experiences in the past with Maine’s Black Flys up North but around Portland we don’t have them at all. Their “season” is just a couple of weeks long anyway. Sadly it does coincide with our whitewater canoeing season.

Folks from Downeast consider Portland, and all of southern Maine, as just a suburb of Boston.
    If you sneak a helmet in your luggage we can do the Lighthouse Tour on two wheels and see Bug Light, Springpoint Light, Portland Head Light and end up at Two Lights and eat on the rocks at The Lobster Shack.
    I've been on the Tanana River in July. You only think you've experienced biting bugs until you boat camp in Alaska in summer. Let's work on Paul and Kat together. Lindy and I will probably budget a week for this trip and we'll look forward to seeing the full Maine contingent as well as a few friends in New Hampshire if you'll have us.

I've been on the Tanana River in July. You only think you've experienced biting bugs until you boat camp in Alaska in summer. Let's work on Paul and Kat together. Lindy and I will probably budget a week for this trip and we'll look forward to seeing the full Maine contingent as well as a few friends in New Hampshire if you'll have us.
    & you've got a place to stay in VT if you need/want it.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    75 to 80F is scorchingly hot?
    Yes. For Maine. We occasionally get a heat wave and it will get up into the nineties for a few days. But many summers our high temp for the year is in the 80s.

... and only a ferry ride from Beautiful Nova Scotia, too. <wink, grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    & you've got a place to stay in VT if you need/want it.
    Thanks, Garret. Likewise for you in Nashville. Sadly the distance from here to a lobster roll i significant but we do have fried pickles. We may take you up on your kind offer.

Lew you should start an itinerary thread, if your only going to be here for a week you should probably stick to the coast, once we have you hooked on the state we can talk about Maine's inland splendours.