Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did my laptop screen go black?

Default Re: Why did my laptop screen go black?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Eureka! That did it! I pulled the battery, swore at it for a minute or so and put it back in. Everything is up and running again.
    Give me a pile of wood and I can build anything from a house to a boat practically blindfolded. Stick me with a computer problem and I'm helpless.
    Thanks again! Where do I send the check?
    A buddy in college (who was black, of course) used to tell the girls, 'once you go black, you'll never go back'.

I happy to hear such was not the case for you.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Did you find yourself wishing you had backed up everything onto a thumb drive or external drive? I keep thinking I should do that.

Then again, if we lost it all maybe we could get back to living without the distraction.

Originally Posted by Rich Jones
    Eureka! That did it! I pulled the battery, swore at it for a minute or so and put it back in. Everything is up and running again.
    Give me a pile of wood and I can build anything from a house to a boat practically blindfolded. Stick me with a computer problem and I'm helpless.

Three Engineers are in a car

One is a mechanical engineer, one is an electrical engineer, and one is a computer engineer.

The car breaks down and coasts to the side of the road.

"Hang on," says the mechanical engineer. "The problem is probably the engine, let me have a look at it and I'll have us on the road again in no time."

"Wait," says the electrical engineer. "The way it just stopped like that, I think it's the electrical system. Let me have a look and I'll get us going again in a minute or two."

"Hold on," says the computer engineer. "Why don't we all just get out of the car and get in again, and then see if it starts?"
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Unplug it from the AC power supply. If the battery is removable, remove it (the attention span of the computer is only as long as its power cord), then let it sit for 60-90 seconds, re-install the battery and try to boot it. Might have to hold the power button down for 60-90 seconds.

If that doesn't work, remove the battery, connect it to the AC power supply and try to boot it as above.

If the batter is not replacable, try forcing it to restart: press and hold the power button for 60 seconds or so until it restarts (or doesn't).

Failing that, things to look it:

- the very thin flat video cable that connects the display to the to the graphics card might have flexed one too many times and given its all. Connect to the laptop to an external monitor, reboot and see what you get.
    - the lid of your laptop has some sort of catch or magentic switch that sleeps it when the lid is close. Is that stuck somehow?

Other things to try:

- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-f...ems-windows-10
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I had exactly the same thing happen with my elderly mother's laptop last week, cured by a power-off reset. I was wondering if it had hung halfwaythrough an update. Seems fine now.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    When the graphics card goes on a Mac the screen goes white.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

It has happened to me and others using a Mac 13" laptop , the duo-inverter cable .. it is a design flaw putting it in the hinge , the flexing over the years causes the VERY fine wires to fray and eventually the screen goes black at various angles of opening the cover until one day it is black at all angles . I found an online tutorial at https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...placement/4772 and did the replacement myself , fortunately i guessed the cause correctly and it has worked well until lately .

being a plastic body laptop there was some chipping of the plastic cover on the keyboard half during disassembly which seems inevitable but not fatal , it took me longer than the estimated repair time but the repair has lasted about 4 years but the same thing is happening again .... not bad for a 10 year old laptop , so i will spring for the replacement part and the wireless antennae also , since it only connects intermittently . Cheaper than buying a new laptop
    Jesus would be alive if he had a gun .... just not as famous